Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited March 2019

Just finished rereading the annihilation omnibus.

First I think this might be the best example of how to do event comics.

The four miniseries give you everything you need to know the annihilation wave has destroyed the skrulls, and Nova corps completely; Ronan is in exhile. They give moments to alot of major and minor alien characters I the MCU and build up the heralds of Galactus; all in a way that doesn't seem forced. Plus it closes the circle of cosmic characters so that we understand how they got together for the main series.

The main series. Boy it is a tightly packed event. It doesn't stop it just slows down enough to catch your breath. There are not wasted pages or dialogue; it also doesn't skimp on easy to follow action.

So in reading this month to month I didn't notice the only complaint: it needed an extra issue. In a series that was a nearly perfect example of how not to waste time and page count on stupid ideas or red herrings, I think there needed to be an extra issue of the heroes having lost the war. i sat down and read them all in one sitting. i remember feeling differently when I read them monthly, then it felt pretty bleak for our heroes.

I just finished reading a new battlepug story at battlepug.com

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Spider-Man Life Story #1 - What a fascinating comic this is. The most obvious comparison would be Watchmen, due to the real time story telling. Set in 1966, Spidey has aged four years since his debut in 1962.

Beyond that though it's commenting on both the era, and how original Spider-Man comics it's referencing reflected the era at the time (it revolves around a version of events from Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 #46-47, as well as drawing from Tales of Suspense issues from around this period).
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited March 2019
    Just finished DC's Countdown to Mystery, an 8 issue series from 2007 that featured 2 ongoing storylines, one featuring Eclipso and another featuring Steve Gerber's Dr. Fate. Both stories had incredible art and looked great, and the Eclipso story was solid but Gerber's Dr. Fate was the most compelling to me. It certainly would not be to the taste of someone wanting more traditional superhero fare (be it 1950s style or modern Bendis/Geoff Johns-style), but for anyone who's a fan of Gerber or interested in something very unusual, it's worth picking up in the dollar bins (which is where I discovered it).

Gerber's Fate is an ex-psychiatrist suffering from depression and the story blends the magical with his various mental health issues and personality, as well as a good degree of self aware commentary about comic tropes (as I said, it's unusual). Gerber also passed away just before the story was finished and so the last issue features 5 different endings for the story by 5 different writers, which I thought I wouldn't care for but was an extremely interesting and appropriate (considering Gerber's tastes) way to go. If you've ever wondered "Well, how could this story end?" and how any particular writer approaches a story (what he/she focuses on) it's pretty fascinating, especially since IMO the best endings happened to be done by the most popular writers, suggesting that their sensibilities and approaches to narrative are popular for a reason. Oh and if you can't find the issues, each storyline is collected separately into trade. Dr. Fate Countdown to Mystery is highly recommended for Gerber fans or fans of the unusual.

I started reading the Orion omnibus by Walt Simonson. I really like it. Im not far enough along to know what is going on, but that Walt guy can draw and write.

What's interesting is reading this while also reading Tom King's Mr. Miracle (5 issues in and still not sure if I like it); the fourth world can be very good in the right hands.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    mwhitt80 said:

I started reading the Orion omnibus by Walt Simonson. I really like it. Im not far enough along to know what is going on, but that Walt guy can draw and write.

What's interesting is reading this while also reading Tom King's Mr. Miracle (5 issues in and still not sure if I like it); the fourth world can be very good in the right hands.

I think Walt’s Orion series is the best Fourth World-related ongoing series not written and drawn by Kirby, outside of maybe Marc DeMatteis’ run on Mister Miracle. Looking at full-sized 14" x 11" photocopies of Walt’s pencils for that series will make your head explode.
    edited March 2019

It is an incredible looking book. Have you had a chance to look through the Omnibus? The colors really work on that paper

There is a page early on where Orion discovers the source of the antilife equation under the town in Nebraska. Man I don't own any original art, but if my numbers come up tonight I am going to start making phone calls. I knew I was all in when I saw that.

edited March 2019
    mwhitt80 said:

There is a page early on where Orion discovers the source of the antilife equation under the town in Nebraska. Man I don’t own any original art, but if my numbers come up tonight I am going to start making phone calls.

I'll save you some time. You’ll only need to make one call, and that’s to Walt, and he’ll say no. But good luck anyway.
    edited March 2019

The Orion omnibus keeps getting better.

I do have 2 pretty major issues with the omnibus and I hate when comics publishers do this.

1) there is no introduction or text pages. A lot of times I will skip the text and then 2/3 issues in go back and read it once I have a feel for the book. The text gives the collection context and let's new readers understand how this particular work fits into the grand picture and why the art and creators are important. I would love to have those 3-5 pages for this omnibus.

2) it doesn't include any of the backup stories. If you are presenting a complete run of a comic include the whole thing. I would love to read some these backup stories.

It doesn’t have the back-up stories?!? That’s ridiculous, as they not only have some great artists drawing them, but they give backstory to the main storyline. And they were basically Walt’s nod to the “Tales of Asgard” back-ups in Journey into Mystery/Thor, which is kind of brilliant. It’s not like there are all that many of them either—less than half the issues had a back-up story.
  • mwhitt80 said:

The Orion omnibus keeps getting better.

I do have 2 pretty major issues with the omnibus and I hate when comics publishers do this.

1) there is no introduction or text pages. A lot of times I will skip the text and then 2/3 issues in go back and read it once I have a feel for the book. The text gives the collection context and let's new readers understand how this particular work fits into the grand picture and why the art and creators are important. I would love to have those 3-5 pages for this omnibus.

2) it doesn't include any of the backup stories. If you are presenting a complete run of a comic include the whole thing. I would love to read some these backup stories.

Sounds like DC needs to look up the definition of "OMNIBUS". Particularly the OMNI part.
  • I just finished Ed Piskor's Wizzywig. It's a stand-alone collection of previously rleased material. It's kind of a "true story" of a fictional conflagration of various early-days hackers, combined into one character. It's a sad, sometimes gritty, very engaging story of one guy's obsession of hacking into phones, computers, and the like.

If you're into darker, "docudrama" type fare, I recommend it.

Plus, the design work on the book, itself, is some of the best ever. Nice package.

I have been reading the 1970's Vampirella stories and much to my surprise, they're pretty good! I always assumed her stories would be in the Spirit vein, where she herself isn't a particularly interesting character, but a protagonist to be inserted into a bunch of one-off stories of varying quality. And I'm assuming her very first stories were like that but I have been reading the Archie Goodwin stuff and wow! What a great writer! No wonder he's such a legend. I only knew him from the early Marvel Star Wars stuff which was great. But on Vampirella, he immediately took care of an issue that would be problematic (her need to kill people to survive) and gave her a long-term goal and motivation, as well as giving her solid supporting characters whom she would affect over several issues and vice versa. There's actually character development! Even more impressive Goodwin still makes sure each issue's tale is still self-contained, while still putting in the kinds of twists readers surely expected back then. The stories aren't perfect and are certainly of their time, but for what they were and the time period, they're very impressive. The artwork is also beautiful.

I have been reading the 1970's Vampirella stories and much to my surprise, they're pretty good! I always assumed her stories would be in the Spirit vein, where she herself isn't a particularly interesting character, but a protagonist to be inserted into a bunch of one-off stories of varying quality. And I'm assuming her very first stories were like that but I have been reading the Archie Goodwin stuff and wow! What a great writer! No wonder he's such a legend. I only knew him from the early Marvel Star Wars stuff which was great. But on Vampirella, he immediately took care of an issue that would be problematic (her need to kill people to survive) and gave her a long-term goal and motivation, as well as giving her solid supporting characters whom she would affect over several issues and vice versa. There's actually character development! Even more impressive Goodwin still makes sure each issue's tale is still self-contained, while still putting in the kinds of twists readers surely expected back then. The stories aren't perfect and are certainly of their time, but for what they were and the time period, they're very impressive. The artwork is also beautiful.

If you like his Vampi stories, then you should read his Blazing Combat stuff. Top notch, and an even more impressive list of artists.
    Thanks. I'm not usually a fan of war stories but if I see any I'll check them out.
    There’s a collection from several years back. I think it's still in print.
  • phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I got hooked by the hype. I broke down and purchased a copy of Detective Comics #1000 and the hardcover Detective Comics: 80 Years of Batman. . Definitely enjoying the 80 years of Detective retrospective. I'm enjoying the inclusion of the other non-Batman characters - Crimson Avenger, Slam Brady, Boy Commandos.... and the various essays. It will end up on the shelf and stories in it will be read over and over again. Classic stuff. I don't care that the Joker is excluded from the volume.

I can't say that I enjoyed Detective Comics #1000. I wish it had been more cohesive. Other than Bendis's Penquin story nothing really grabbed me. I think they missed the mark on this issue. With 96 pages they could have had half the stories and they would have been much better. And maybe made it more like the analogy it originally was..... It would have been more interesting to have had a Slam Brady story, Batgirl/Robin story, something with Alfred as the center protagonist, maybe a Boy Commandos story.... the a regular Batman story that was part of the current continuity. I really don't know how someone outside of the hobby would come to this one issue and get something out of it.... I certainly didn't.... $9.99 for the Penquin story is a bit steep. ;-)

All in all- pretty much keeps me where I am at.... not returning to the hobby.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Lazarus Risen #1. It's back in a quarterly expanded format. The Michael Lark art continues to be excellent and the Rucka writing is what I want in more of my books.
    Fairlady #1 is a pretty good little book. Actually I shouldn't call it little. It’s 30 pages of story plus some back matter, all at the usual $3.99 price. I passed on it when going through Previews. I thought it looked interesting, but wasn’t quite convinced by what I saw in the solicitation. After looking through it at the shop, I saw enough to decide to take a chance on it. Rather than describe the premise myself, I'll just quote the writer, Brian Schirmer: “A gender-swapped Magnum, P.I. in a post-War-of-the-Ring world.”

This issue (and each future issue) is a self-contained story. While there wasn’t all that much to the mystery itself, it did serve to provide some interesting world-building. And for me, it’s the setting that’s the star of this issue. From the city (The Feld) in which our heroes operate (it sits inside the shell of what looks like the gutted shell of a giant humanoid robot), to the hinted at recently ended war, Schirmer and artist Claudia Balboni have created a world I want to know more about.

And speaking of Balboni, her artwork doesn’t blow me away or particularly excite me, but it’s solid stuff with clear storytelling. All it really lacks is some dynamic energy. Her panel compositions, while clear—which is the most important thing—are a bit too similar from panel to panel.

All in all, I give it a B+, and I'm going to add it to my list at least for a few issues, and see how it goes.
    edited April 2019
    I finished One Pound Gospel. I really enjoyed the story. The ending was a predictable, but the story was good.

Still reading the Orion omnibus it's still really good
    If I had to guess the bulk of Avengers No Road Home #10 was a Mark Waid idea, as it resonates with aspects of his Fantastic Four run. But the ending was probably Ewing's as it's a huge head nod to Ulysses 31, the French-Japanese co-production that was a massive part of the childhood anyone growing up in the UK in the 80s.

Not quite as fulfilling as the No Surrender, but still the best Avengers comic this year. And of course, they sow the seeds for a sequel.
  • SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    I just caught up on INVADERS #3 and #4 and it might be leading the pack for my Best of the Month. A few twists and turns. Maybe one of the better Invaders relaunches in recent years. And it really hit home with how Cap & the Winter Soldier represent the two sides of America: Cap being the public high-ideal part with Bucky as the realist pragmatic "Ends justifies the Means doing sneaky shit behind the scenes" part of America. And all the time you are wondering if Namor is acting out of good or bad.

Recommended for those that liked CGS' Namor Spotlight recently as it plays with his history and that of being both good and bad and not clearly always a hero. And it touches on his history too with some new "rooms" opened to that past. The art is solid and Zdarsky is crafting a compelling tale.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 208

Fairlady #1 is a pretty good little book.

Agreed. I pulled it because 30 story pages and self contained stories is rare enough that I thought they deserved my money, at least for the first issue. I’m also going to keep reading for a while.

I’ve also just finished the second installment of Little Bird. Also oversized issues for the now standard 3.99. It’s very good. The art is amazing and the writing intriguing. Well worth checking out.
    Bryan said:

I’ve also just finished the second installment of Little Bird. Also oversized issues for the now standard 3.99. It’s very good. The art is amazing and the writing intriguing. Well worth checking out.

I skimmed through the first issue in the shop, but it didn’t really grab me. I may go back to it if I hear enough good things as it goes along.
    Avengers #18 is one of Aaron & McGuinness's strongest, and it doesn't even feature the titular team. Bringing the Squadron Supreme/Sinister back to their satirical roots works to McGuinness's strengths, and the final reveal (and hint) of what's really going on with them and Coulson (or is it?) explains a lot here and in other comics.

I started the life and times of Scrooge McDuck vol. 1 with the daughter. I love this book, and so does she.

• JaceJace Posts: 3
    Upcoming books for the week offer some interesting choices.

Self-Made #6 from Mat Groom & Eduardo Ferigato comes to an end, but leaves the door open for more. I feel like this series started out great, but ended up as good overall. Suffered from some pacing issues in my mind.

Female Furies #4 from Cecil Castelucci & Adriana Melo, similarly I had high hopes and while I am enjoying the series it feels a little cramped. The ideas and ambition of the story they want to tell needs more than 6 issues is the feeling I get, but DC probably doubted they could sustain sales much beyond 3 or 4. Probably lucky to have gotten 6. Still the art is great & it is additive to the Fourth World Mythos

The Green Lantern #7 From Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp. Never been a Morrison fan AT ALL. Only thing I have read from him that I felt was good is All-Star Superman, but I do want to get to his X-Men stuff someday. Hated his Batman and other things I have read from him, like his New 52 Action Comics was meh. Anyway I kept picking this up after the first few issues only because of Liam's art, that being said it has gotten better and this issue is pretty good. Still the strength of this title is Liam's visual's which he has been pouring his heart and soul into. Last time I talked to him though he does feel this title is changing his style slightly, but I haven't noticed.

DCEASED #1 from Tom Taylor, Trevor Hairsine & James Harren, a bit of a been there done that feeling. Ever read Cell by Stephen King? Yeah then you know the impetus of this story. Also I am not the biggest fan of Hairsine, in my mind his art is better suited for X-O Manowar or Conan. It doesn't quite work for traditional superhero stories in my mind, still it is much better than the James Harren pages. Really don't like when they have two such different art styles on the same book, Still it is Tom Taylor and he is a rally talented writer so I am in for at least another issue or two. The strength of this series may be not in how original the problem (dare I say crisis?) is but in how our heroes react to it. There were some great Superman & Batman pages in this first issue.

Batman #70 from Tom King, Jorge Fornes & Mikel Janin continues the Batman is really pissed off story that Tom has been slow rolling for quite awhile. Knightmares dragged on a bit for me so I am glad Bruce is finally awake. I love Tom, but I do hope this book picks up the pace a bit, it's a minor quibble because as we all know Batman under Tom has been revelatory.

DC Year of the Villain This one is a who's who of talent Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV and Brian Michael Bendis writing with art from Jim Cheung, Alex Maleev & Francis Manpul. Don't want to spoil to much, but I will say that if you want to know about what is going on in the DCU for the rest of this entire year, you have to pick this up. The stories are OK, the first which is illustrated by Cheung was probably the best written, the second is basically a Batgirl story with art by Maleev, whose style I have never really cared for on superhero books, but love for crime noir (imagine him on a Thrillkiller type story!) and the final ties in most closely with Snyder & Tynion's Justice League. Perhaps the most important part of this title is all the back matter explaining DC's plans for Year of the Villain, informational and certainly designed to try and get readers to go "all in" it's a ton of information that may help you decide where you may want to pick and choose how you follow DC for the test of the year.

Volition #5 from Ryan Parrot and Marco Itri is the penultimate issue of this really underrated title form AfterShock, its a shame they lost their original artist, Omar Francia, after the first three issues because his art was spectacular. That being said the premise of AI becoming much like humanity, having the same sort of hopes and dreams of living successful and happy lives, having kids, etc, then dropping in a worldwide conspiracy has made for a compelling read. AfterShock has been putting out some quality titles of late.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Welcome to the forums @Jace

• BryanBryan Posts: 208
    Long Road to Liquor City - OGN from Oni Press. A story of Hobos in search of the mythical Liquor City. Written by Macon Blair, Art & letters by Joe Flood. I’d had my eye on this for a while, and I finally grabbed it at my LCS’ FCBD sale. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Funny, endearing, and compelling with well done art that fits the story. Worth the read.

The Green Lantern #7 - This series has been very enjoyable. I generally like Morrison’s writing anyway, and IMO Sharp is really nailing the artwork. This particular issue is notable in that it is fairly stand alone and can easily be picked up and read even if you haven’t been reading the series. You don’t see that all too often these days so I thought I’d point it out.