Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Movie News: Dark Phoenix

The first trailer is meant to be released tonight. In the meantime, a piece from CBR that it seems to now be confirmed that this movie drops the "X-Men" branding and will be called, simply, Dark Phoenix.

Comments

• UltimateThorUltimateThor Posts: 33
    edited September 2018
    I think the trailer looks decent. Shouldn't be too hard to be better then X-Men Apocalypse. I liked First Class and Days of Future Past and I'm kind of getting that vibe from this trailer which I'm all for.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Nope. Fox has not done anything good with this franchise. Logan may be the one exception. Deadpool would not have been any good either if not for Ryan Reynolds' direct involvement. I couldn't get behind it even if I felt the trailer looked amazing, I can't stand Sophie Turner.
  • MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited September 2018
    The Dark Phoenix Saga is one of my all time favorite storylines in comics, and what made it so great was that it was built on for years in the background of the story. Jean gets her new power and there where small moments where she looked really evil, to Mastermind slowly manipulating Jean trying to turn her with his powers. To it finally happening.

To one of Wolverines first ever truly iconic moments, "Now it's My Turn". To the end where the X-Men are fighting against basically Marvels version Legion Of Superheroes. And they have no chance to the very end with Scott and Jean hand in hand fighting against an impossible situation. To Jean killing herself because she can't control the power.

It's one of the death's in comics that should have always remained. I think this and when Aunt May dies where probably the 2 most perfect death's and Marvel would of course later ruin them in basically the same way, that neither of them were actually Jean Gray or Aunt May..... So dumb lol.

This movie I'm kinda indifferent about.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited June 2019

Anyone check the movie out? I haven’t really seen any scuttlebug about the movie since this thread’s last entry last year.

I had plans to see it opening weekend, then decided I wasn’t as interested as I initially thought. I’ll wait until home media.

From what I can tell it was extensive reshoots, some of Captain Marvel’s plotpoints and not releasing this sooner that sank the movie. I think if it wasn’t a lame duck (anyone question how good X-Men will be under the MCU banner?) it would’ve had more draw to it.

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I haven’t seen the film myself. But according to Deadline the film is expected to drop 77% from its opening weekend. That is a complete and total rejection by audiences
    edited June 2019
    You need something like this in the movies, she gets the power but doesn't immediately become Dark Phoenix. Then in the end of the next movie she becomes Dark Phoenix, and then the 3rd movie is dealing with her.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Just think how bad the New Mutants film must be...
    Brack said:

Just think how bad the New Mutants film must be...

When that fails hopefully they do a TV show for the New Mutants.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The problem with the last couple of X-Men movies is Apocalypse and Phoenix need multiple movies to truly feel the weight of those characters.

Now I'm just interested in seeing where Marvel goes with them? I hope out the gate they try for smaller team, doesn't necessarily have to be the original team, just small, even though I'd like it to be the original team because I don't feel like Warren or Bobby have had any good movie versions. But I know those characters aren't what made the X-Men popular.

And they need to really establish that Scott is basically the Cap of the X-Men, the leader, the guy you can depend on in crunch time.

Not really sure what Villain you'd do first ? Because Magneto has been done so many times now.

I’m in the same boat; show me what Feige can do with these characters now that he’d have final say.

I’d be interested in Mr. Sinister as the initial villain. I wonder if they’d consider building toward Secret Wars for the 22nd film in this saga. It’d bring the FF, X-Men (meaning both would need intros), & the Avengers together for a purpose. Rhodes was Iron Man in the original series, so they could just write in War Machine instead.

If Bendis’ addition to Bobby Drake’s identity holds, I can see them using him more in the mcu. It’d add diversity to the cast of characters.

• spidspid Posts: 203
    Agreed. I just saw the movie today. It is obvious the last two movies would have been better if there was a more ambitious thought plan. I would have loved to have seen with Mattew Vaughn would have done if he was the driving force behind all of the First Class movies.

Minor spoiler but something that annoyed me is they never called Storm by her first name even in private moments.
    edited June 2019
    Mihawk said:

The problem with the last couple of X-Men movies is Apocalypse and Phoenix need multiple movies to truly feel the weight of those characters.

Now I'm just interested in seeing where Marvel goes with them? I hope out the gate they try for smaller team, doesn't necessarily have to be the original team, just small, even though I'd like it to be the original team because I don't feel like Warren or Bobby have had any good movie versions. But I know those characters aren't what made the X-Men popular.

And they need to really establish that Scott is basically the Cap of the X-Men, the leader, the guy you can depend on in crunch time.

Not really sure what Villain you'd do first ? Because Magneto has been done so many times now.

If you wanted to avoid doing origin stories all over again, you could do the "Welcome To The X-Men Kitty Pryde Hope You Survive The Experience" approach, and have the school a long established thing, but use Kitty Pryde as the audience's POV and introduction. Kind of like Rogue in the 2000 movie but more grounded. Actually let's use Jubilee instead, as more people will remember her from the cartoon.

Use The Eternals movie to establish the idea that Celestials and others have long been tampering with human DNA, so you don't even need to introduce the idea of mutants in an X-Men movie.

Then maybe use Emma Frost and her Massachusetts Academy in the Magneto/Brotherhood of Mutants role as the amoral mirror to the X-Men? You get the same sort of twisted take on Xavier's dream, but with added class warfare.

Rumor has it, Rocket’s origins will be a plot in GotG vol. 3. Reportedly, he was made by the High Evolutionary.

Matt said:

Rumor has it, Rocket’s origins will be a plot in GotG vol. 3. Reportedly, he was made by the High Evolutionary.

I saw those rumours too, from the guy who called p. much everything in Endgame. I love the High Evolutionary as a character/design, so I'm all for that. Especially as it would likely mean that Rocket is a raccoon after all, despite his protestations.
    Matt said:

I’m in the same boat; show me what Feige can do with these characters now that he’d have final say.

I’d be interested in Mr. Sinister as the initial villain. I wonder if they’d consider building toward Secret Wars for the 22nd film in this saga. It’d bring the FF, X-Men (meaning both would need intros), & the Avengers together for a purpose. Rhodes was Iron Man in the original series, so they could just write in War Machine instead.

If Bendis’ addition to Bobby Drake’s identity holds, I can see them using him more in the mcu. It’d add diversity to the cast of characters.

I've seen a pretty cool theory/idea about a Secret Wars thing that I'd like to see.

The idea is at first the MCU, FF, X-Men would have movies in their own universes, and it would lead to a Secret Wars thing, but instead of the Beyonder it would be God Doom as the main Villain. And the end result would be one complete universe.

Finally watched this. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I kept reading (& watching YouTube videos) about the movie going all in on this “woke” culture. Aside from a few scenes (which were the same ones constantly referenced), it wasn’t slapping us the face. Even the referenced scenes, once I watched the full movie, really weren’t “defcon 5” like I was lead to believe.

I am surprised Kinberg didn’t fix his mistakes from X3. To some extent, I think I liked that version better. We at least had Wolverine. When he killed Jean, there was weight to what he did. I didn’t even feel there was weight to Raven’s death. In fact, it played more like “kill me so I can be done in this movie.” I thought with Wolverine not in the movie, we’d get more Scott. I thought he’d play more of an element with Jean’s story AND illustrate why he’s the team leader. Never happened.

I thought Quicksilver & Nightcrawler got shorted. Quicksilver (doesn’t he heal fast?) was out early and they turned a religious character into a rage filled killer. I’d add Storm to this list, but aside from the strange lightning blasts from her hands, she played better then Halle Berry’s version. I could at least see flickers of her being team leader.

Eric & Charles continue to be the best characters in this series. Though Eric “fighting” on the transport looked goofy at times. And Charles played like the MCU Hank Pym.

The ending score was reminiscing of TDKR...then I saw Hans Zimmer scores the movie, so it made sense.

I have no idea what Chastain’s character was all about. You get an actress of her caliber and waste it. No wonder she could never say much about her role. It seemed slapped together.

I use to blame the Fox/Disney merger for this movie, but I think it’s more so the timing & Kinberg. He might quote the street level plastic surgeon in Batman “you see what I have to work with”. Maybe without Wolverine and a couple other properties (or even really devolving to alien races), Kinberg has a tight box to work within. Reportedly, the ending was going to be more like the ending in Captain Marvel & we were going to get Skrulls. I think if they released the movie before the potential merger, it might’ve faired better. Especially if they maintained aspects of their original movie.

Weird not even a mention of Moira. Or the status with the government at the end. I know Hank became the elder statesman of the school, but I thought he could’ve become the Secretary of Mutant Affairs. Perhaps make Storm the dean of the school (I know that’s from X3, but I’m not certain who else in this version could step into the role that’s better).