Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1742 Talkback - Comic Talk

Yes, it's one of THOSE episodes--when anything can be discussed, and is! Topics include the tragic anticlimax of the Vertigo imprint (along with most other imprints at DC); the impending return of the Legion of Super-Heroes, the JSA, and Wally West to active status in the DC Universe; fond reminiscences on Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, plus tons of other televisual tangents; Ian's take on Dark PhoeniX and Toy Story 4, and Shane's on Men in Black International (all sans spoilers); the lengths to which Shane will go to be a good GeekDad; the general enthusiasm of Chris; and more additional asides and random remarks than there are grains of sand on the head of a pin! ...Or something! Just download it! (1:25:20)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I watched Buck Rogers every week as a kid. It was pretty cheesy, but it did have some interesting elements to it. I even had a Buck Rogers “lazer gun” which made different sounds, and a model kit of a Marauder fighter ship. And Blanc left the show because he quit working that summer after being diagnosed with emphysema.

I guess the Vertigo: A Celebration of 25 Years book I preordered last year before it was quietly cancelled won’t be getting resolicited. Well, it was only a matter of time really, once Fables ended. Why split your great original IP idea with DC when you can go to Image instead? It had a good run.
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    edited July 2019
    @ShaneKelly & @wildpigcomics, Buck Rogers remains my favorite childhood show. I rewatched season one again several years ago and I still loved it.

For anyone who was a fan of season one, on Amazon you can find a book titled Buck Rogers in the 25th Century: Lo, The Rings of Saturn by Andrew E.C. Gaska that picks up shortly after the end of season one (and thankfully has nothing to do with season 2). Highly recommended for season one Buck fans. Gaska had planned on doing more books, but it seems like there weren't enough Buck fans to keep it going which is unfortunate, since it captures the voices of the characters and spirit of season one as well as Jason Aaron and Kieron Gillen captured the voices and spirit of Star Wars. It's like watching a lost episode and features not just Buck, Wilma and his main supporting cast, but brings back several other supporting characters from throughout the season.

edited July 2019
  • ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 155
    Vertighost, thanks for the tip! I just put an order in for a copy of the book!
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    edited July 2019

@Vertighost And Drew Gaska is a Supershow alumni while he's at it!

@i_am_scifi, Oh cool, I had no idea. @ShaneKelly, hope you enjoy it as much as I did! BTW, although it's not necessary, if you haven't already done so, you may want to refresh your memory and rewatch the season one 2-parter Flight of the War Witch and especially the 2 part To Kill A City (the one with Frank Gorshin and Markie Post).
  • Regarding the loss of the DC imprints: this might be a result of AT&T wanting to make changes to DC rather than a decision made internally by DC itself. AT&T has proven to be very hands-on with other newly acquired Warner properties in the wake of its purchase of Warner, so this decision may very well be coming from over DC editorial's collective head.

I'm sorry to see the loss of DC Ink and Zoom. Both my kids, 13 and 16, have enjoyed what little output has come from these lines in their very brief existence. I hope that they will continue to make such products for these audiences even if they won't have the Ink and Zoom branding.
  • Vertighost! Thanks for the outstanding tip, especially as I enjoyed Mr. Gaska's "Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes," which chronicles Landon's off camera experiences after he is captured in the hunt. No doubt similar to your experience reading Drew's Buck Rogers effort, I thoroughly enjoyed how well he captures the characters and atmosphere of the POA world. "Lo, the Rings of Saturn" will soon be in my eager hands. Thanks again!

@i_am_scifi, Oh cool, I had no idea. @ShaneKelly, hope you enjoy it as much as I did! BTW, although it's not necessary, if you haven't already done so, you may want to refresh your memory and rewatch the season one 2-parter Flight of the War Witch and especially the 2 part To Kill A City (the one with Frank Gorshin and Markie Post).

• ShaneKellyShaneKelly Posts: 155

I did just watch To Kill a City eps. I will make time for Flight of the War Witch. Thanks!
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Did I just hear Book of the Month is coming back?

edited July 2019
    My pleasure! Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.
  • DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited July 2019
    The very first CGS podcast I listened to was the Crisis on Infinite Earths Book of the Month. Excuse me...