Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

MCU Phase 4

Looks like some interesting things coming, not just to theatres, but streaming also.

This isn’t to crap on the movies (as I haven’t watched any DCEU since Wonder Woman), but how is Marvel Studios giving us an Eternals movie & WB is no closer to a MoS sequel or Flash movie?

Comments

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Wondering how they’re going fit Blade in. But at least for his solo films they could release them through Fox if they wanted to go R rated
  • VertighostVertighost Posts: 335

Wow! Great post!!!! Lots of stuff I’m psyched for here. Thank god they’re putting Scarlet Witch into the next Dr. Strange (I.e. Tony Stark as magician) film. Definitely need some freshness there. Also psyched for female Thor although given that Portman seemed to have no interest in continuing to be part of the MCU, I kind of wish it had been recast. The Disney Plus stuff sounds great and man oh man: SHANG chi!! Can’t wait. (Although I hope the guy playing him is ripped and already has some martial arts skills under his belt. Shang should have Bruce Lee”s body, not like the tv Iron Fist. I want to see some Jackman level of commitment from this guy.) The only thing that didn’t excite me here was ironically the first big thing: The Eternals. Zero interest. But I guess Marvel might pull another Guardians?

Does anyone know if Black Widow will be a prequel? Personally I wish Whedon was helming that. He gave her the best action sequences IMO and showed how she more than held her own amongst these super powered beings. But then again I want Whedon to do everything.

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2019

Stuff I’ve seen out of this indicates it’s a prequel set post-Civil War. The shown footage was of Yelena & Natasha fighting, with mirroring moves. Like when Anakin & Ben fought in Episode III.

My assessment; it’ll be a retrospective movie. Set when Natasha “disappears” after the Civil War fallout. I think she meets up with Yelena & they have an adventure taking down Iron Maiden & the Red Room. Along the way, there’s flashbacks of her origin, including Budapest. We’ll learn why she’s so guarded. The movie ends with Yelena taking up the mantle after Natasha’s sacrifice.

I'm hoping cameos from Cap & Falcon (when she meets up with them prior to Infinity War), Barton in Budapest, Fury, & Dottie Underwood.

This is all speculation based on interviews from the Con & rumors. Taskmaster & Red Guardian (David Harbour) be in the film too. ScarJo advised we’ll see what Natasha perceived as her flaw (maybe trusting a former lover who betrays her?)

Taskmaster?? Love it! Excellent, thank you for all the info! I wish she were still around for the current continuity but I’ll happily take this.

• MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    It's hard for me to get hyped for a post RDJ and Chris Evans MCU.

I have some reservations, but willing to see how things go. So far, Eternals seems like the one I’m least interested in, the more I research the characters.

I am not completely convinced we’ve seen the last of Evans. Old Cap could easily cameo in Falcon & Winter Soldier. He hasn’t said anything that definitive sounds like he’s done with the MCU. In fact, I thought I read somewhere he might direct something on Disney + for the MCU.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited July 2019
    Found it curious that they said "Mutants" rather than "X-Men" in the list of things they didn't have time to discuss.

Do they do solo movies leading to an X-Men? Or do they follow Deadpool's lead and do something on the fringes of the X-Men books?

---

The Eternals has the advantage of no truly great run for the movie to live up to. Even Kirby's original is New Gods on too much Erich von Däniken.

Also has the advantage of the MCU stripping the "oh the Titans are Eternals too" retcon.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Not being talked enough is Jeffrey Wright as the Watcher narrating the What If series
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Eternals is the one I'm most interested in, as it has the most potential to bring something new and different to the table. It should be visually stunning if nothing else. Bring on the Celestials!

Feige was questioned about his word choice in a post panel interview. He responded by advising “X-Men” & “mutants” are interchangeable. I don’t believe that, but that’s how he responded.

edited July 2019

When I heard the description, I thought it sounded like the New Gods, which I’ve never cared for. Then I researched the characters & found out why they sounded like the New Gods.

What would peak my interest is if the Collector & the Grandmaster make appearances.

I did chuckle that there’s been a New Gods movie in the works since last year & it looks like Eternals will be released first.

Will be interesting to see if New Gods and Eternals are released within the same 12 month time frame. 2 thematically similar concepts that could never support their own ongoing series? It’s hard enough to imagine 1 of these being a hit but 2? (There’ll certainly be a ton of articles talking up a Kirby “renaissance”.) I’d say whoever releases second is in trouble, but if the past is any indication I’m guessing Marvel wins again either way.

• mphilmphil Posts: 448
    This isn’t to crap on the movies (as I haven’t watched any DCEU since Wonder Woman), but how is Marvel Studios giving us an Eternals movie & WB is no closer to a MoS sequel or Flash movie?
    DC has several films in development including Black Adam, Wonder Woman 1984, another Suicide Squad (directed by James Gunn), and Birds of Prey.

Plus New Gods, Aquaman 2, & a new Batman trilogy. I wasn’t stating the studio had nothing in development; in fact I feel like there’s always talks of their movies being in production.

At some point on the forum, there was a discussion about the MCU churning too many movies out at a time. I think it helped their branding. I’d argue had they had the IP to the FF & X-Men, they’d already have movies. To some extent, WB seems to take forever to release a movie & they’re branching out characters when a couple of their staple characters aren’t getting movies.

• mphilmphil Posts: 448
    It's a bit disappointing to me that Loki isn't until 2021. That's almost 2 years.

I'm most interested in What If for the streaming channel (since there's nothing else like that) and Blade for movies (interested to see how they integrate a horror character into the overall MCU).

I’ve been mulling over what’s to coming in the next 2 years. Disney+ looks to be $72 a year. The service seems to be worth it. My biggest issue with Agents of SHIELD was that it’s not really a connecting narrative to the movies. These new shows are going to be connected.

Wanda Vision is to directly relate to Doctor Strange: itMoM, which is why she’ll be in the movie. Someone I was watching talk about these announcements as having a main story/event with tie-ins that could flesh out the story better.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Eternals is the only one that I'll probably go see out of "duty" (ie. It's a comic book movie so I'll check it out). Not enthused about it, though. Marvel can prove me wrong. It's happened before.

The rest - on both the Marvel and DC slate - I'm very much interested in checking out.
    Doctor Strange sounds interesting, it's supposed to be a Horror movie. I'm curious to see what a MCU Horror movie will look like?

• batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

I’m interested in dr strange 2. Sadly that’s pretty much it.

I was skimming the theatric releases again. I think think the Dr. Strange sequel looks the most promising. Though, I’m also pretty interested in Black Widow. There a pin in for Shang-Chi, but I’d need to see what they’re doing with it before my interest really peaks. I’m not sure what other 1 I’d hit the theatres for. I think I’m basically done going to see Thor in the cinema.

Looks like Pedro is getting tapped for everything:

https://cosmicbook.news/pedro-pascal-moon-knight

I heard a rumor that instead of Christian Bale playing Beta Ray Bill that he's actually going to play Norman Osborne.

If that's true? That would be awesome. Firstly it tells me that Marvel believes their deal with Sony will last longer then this small deal they recently came up with. And 2nd it tells me their going to do the Dark Avengers. Which could be awesome seeing come together. It would be like how they built up the Original Avengers, except this time with Villains.

Honestly I've been having a post End Game hangover with Iron Man and Cap gone. But Norman Osborne coming in and with Doctor Doom looming, that will get some of my enthusiasm back. Because their my 2 favorite Marvel villains.

I hadn’t heard he’d be cast as Osborne. That’d be a curveball if a Spidey villain was introduced in Thor 4. It’d also be a surprise Bale would commit to several appearances in these movies...well, unless it’d be VO.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I suspect Bale will be Dario Agger if they are drawing on the Jason Aaron run for the next film.

I’d prefer Scott Derrickson return, BUT if he’s not, this keeps my interest in the sequel:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/amp/2020/04/14/doctor-strange-2-sam-raimi-confirms-hes-directing/