Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1745 Talkback - July 2019 Previews

Previews comin' at'cha! We go through the July catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in September. (2:27:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Elsa Charratier is French, so the pronunciation is not anglicized. It’s sort of like SHAR-tee-a with the last two syllables blurred together. As for the format, I doubt there will be paperback versions of each three volumes. I imagine, as you suggested, that there will be a hardcover collection once it’s done, and I would guess eventually there will also be a softcover collection.

I just finished reading Assassin Nation this week, and it’s a lot of fun. I recommend it.

I’m not really a Joe Madureira fan, but he didn’t just do some designs for video games, he stopped working on Battle Chasers to co-form a video game development company. When that went out of business, he did freelance development work on a couple of games, then worked as creative director/character designer/set designer on another.

Stjepan Sejic pronounces his name something like STYA-pun SHAY-itch.

Re: Inferior Five, back when it was announced in 2017, they described it as Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks (Lemire is a huge fan of Twin Peaks)—and it is set in the ’80s, and it is that Invasion (or some reasonable facsimile thereof). I’m on board for this one.

Esad Ribic pronounces his name something like ESS-ud REEB-itch (slight roll of the R).

Don’t worry about Cecil Castellucci, you’ve been pronouncing her name correctly. She was born in New York. She also wrote the P.L.A.I.N. Janes books for the short-lived Minx line at DC, both of which were excellent.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    The first volume of Muse was originally published in French in 2008, which I picked up in San Diego that year. It’s a beautiful book, as you’d expect, though there wasn’t much of a story in that first volume. I never got the second volume, so I'm kind of on the fence about picking up this collection.

@Adam_Murdough, we didn’t do a panel at Heroes this year. I was the only one there this year, so there wasn’t much point. I still missed seeing you (and Brian) though.
  • Options
    SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204

The first volume of Muse was originally published in French in 2008, which I picked up in San Diego that year. It’s a beautiful book, as you’d expect, though there wasn’t much of a story in that first volume. I never got the second volume, so I'm kind of on the fence about picking up this collection.

I haven't listened yet but sounds like you are talking about Terry Dodson's book. I think it is some of his best artwork with perhaps the story being a little on the light side. I love the colors in this one too.

I wish the market for these kind of books in America were stronger as I'd rather see a top creator on something like this rather than another undistinguished run on a superhero book. But one pays the bills while the other doesn't, I guess.

• Options

I haven't listened yet but sounds like you are talking about Terry Dodson's book. I think it is some of his best artwork with perhaps the story being a little on the light side. I love the colors in this one too.

I wish the market for these kind of books in America were stronger as I'd rather see a top creator on something like this rather than another undistinguished run on a superhero book. But one pays the bills while the other doesn't, I guess.
    Yes, Terry Dodson. And, agreed, the coloring was spot on. There is absolutely no question that the story was on the light side, at least for the first volume. Like I said, I haven’t read the second volume.

I don’t know the numbers, but I think the book sold well in Europe, and the US editions are just icing on the cake. I'm sure the publisher was very happy with it, and it probably paid Dodson at least as well as his US work, if not more, and most likely with more lenient deadlines.
  • Options
    ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for the mention of Lifted and for your Kickstarter support! In addition to the old school CGSers you noted, Shawn Gabborin provided the editing, and Eric White provided the colors for about half of the book. It really is a project deeply rooted in CGS!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited July 2019

I'm really tempted to get the Jonah Hex Omnibus.

The John Byrne Doom Patrol Omnibus is also calling my name...

And then the Peter David Incredible Hulk Omnibus...

I should have taken up drugs and hookers, life would be cheaper.