Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1747 Talkback - August 2019 Previews

i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
edited October 2019 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs

Come and get your Previews! We go through the August catalog for items shipping to stores beginning in October. (2:14:55)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    In case you needed another reason to pick up Superman Smashes the Klan!, it’s an adaptation of the 1940s Superman radio drama storyline, “Clan of the Fiery Cross,” in which Superman fought a stand-in for the KKK. After the end of World War II, the Klan began expanding rather rapidly. A writer named Stetson Kennedy took notice, and infiltrated the Klan to learn how they operated. He took this information to the local police (in Florida), but they were in some cases simply not interested in pursuing it, and in others were actually members or associated with members of the Klan. So instead he took the info to the producers of The Adventures of Superman, and their writers incorporated the Klan’s actual passwords into a 16-episode story which is attributed with causing major damage to the Klan’s recruitment drive and reputation.
    Quarter in the Jar: The “u” in Guice is silent. It sounds like Gice with a hard “g”.
    Alan Davis is a big fan of, not so much Conan specifically, but Barry Windsor-Smith’s run on the character. The “Red Nails” and “The Frost Giant’s Daughter” stories, which he read growing up, were a big influence on him and his approach to storytelling. I'm sure he’s excited about the opportunity to draw Conan himself.
  • In case you needed another reason to pick up Superman Smashes the Klan!, it’s an adaptation of the 1940s Superman radio drama storyline, “Clan of the Fiery Cross,” in which Superman fought a stand-in for the KKK. After the end of World War II, the Klan began expanding rather rapidly. A writer named Stetson Kennedy took notice, and infiltrated the Klan to learn how they operated. He took this information to the local police (in Florida), but they were in some cases simply not interested in pursuing it, and in others were actually members or associated with members of the Klan. So instead he took the info to the producers of The Adventures of Superman, and their writers incorporated the Klan’s actual passwords into a 16-episode story which is attributed with causing major damage to the Klan’s recruitment drive and reputation.

As seen on Comedy Central's "Drunk History"!
    edited August 2019

In case you needed another reason to pick up Superman Smashes the Klan!, it’s an adaptation of the 1940s Superman radio drama storyline, “Clan of the Fiery Cross,” in which Superman fought a stand-in for the KKK. After the end of World War II, the Klan began expanding rather rapidly. A writer named Stetson Kennedy took notice, and infiltrated the Klan to learn how they operated. He took this information to the local police (in Florida), but they were in some cases simply not interested in pursuing it, and in others were actually members or associated with members of the Klan. So instead he took the info to the producers of The Adventures of Superman, and their writers incorporated the Klan’s actual passwords into a 16-episode story which is attributed with causing major damage to the Klan’s recruitment drive and reputation.

As seen on Comedy Central's "Drunk History"!
    Yes, many years after it was heard on This American Life, in a more apropos medium. Well worth a listen (it’s the opening segment, and only nine minutes) if you haven’t heard the story before.
    Carlos Pagulayan’s last name is prounounced pag-ew-LIE-an.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    In regards to DC. I think the only title I'm currently getting from them is Detective
    DAR said:

In regards to DC. I think the only title I'm currently getting from them is Detective

I'm only getting Green Lantern, Freedom Fighters and Jimmy Olsen, and I'll be getting Inferior Five when that drops—those are all 12-issue miniseries. I also get the Sandman Universe books, though I may be dropping most of those very soon). The next Previews catalog (which came out yesterday) will have me adding at least two. maybe as many as four, more books to my DC buying. It’s been a very, very long time since I’ve had that many DC titles on my list, though it may be telling that none of them would be considered core books of the line.
  • I remember Impact. Bought a few.