Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1748 Talkback - Comic Talk

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited November 2019 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The Geeks act as digital-audio docents, summarizing their experience of the Marvel exhibit at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia! Other attractions include a salute to FlameCon 2019; the inevitable rundown of the Sony/Spider-Man cinematic situation (sheesh!); a tantalizing MCU casting announcement; a few very earnest reading recommendations; a bargain-store bonanza for Shane; Muddle the Murd, and more! (1:23:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Pretty sure that is not Karl Urban's own accent in The Boys, it's Karl Urban's own accent periodically slipping through a not that great cockney accent.
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited September 2019
    Fun episode, guys! Good to hear everyone again...though "hear" may not be the most accurate term to describe my perception of Murd's contribution. His connection (or equipment) made it sound like he was calling in from the Moon!

Regarding the Marvel exhibit, I would recommend listening to an episode of The Amazing Spider-Talk where the hosts interview Brooks Peck, the co-curator of the exhibit. Naturally (given the title of the podcast), the talk centers around the Spider-Man elements, but give it a listen. It's a fascinating glimpse into the world of exhibit design and the great lengths they went to create a fantastic experience for both the general public and total geeks like us.

Here's the link:

amazingspidertalk.com/2018/10/marvels-universe-of-super-heroes/

Greatly looking forward to the New Frontier Book of the Month episode!
    edited September 2019

Re: The Marvel/Sony divorce: Once the public brinksmanship between the two companies quiets down, I’m confident Marvel and Sony will eventually work something out regarding Spider-Man’s “dual cinematic citizenship”.

But even if they don’t, the fact that Spidey has typically been a loner for most of his published history makes me okay with (what appears to be) his exit from the MCU. Like Shane, I wasn’t a big fan of Peter being Tony Stark’s “Boy Wonder”, so maybe this could be a good thing. Granted, the incompetence of Sony Pictures head Tom Rothman could (and probably will) screw it up, but I’m willing to give it a shot.

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I was watching a video breaking down the possible Sony Spider-verse slate of movies, which ended with “are you going to watch the Sony universe or boycott it?”

First, I hate boycotts. It’s just a bunch of people with an opinion upset with someone/thing having a differing opinion. I’ve gone as far as calling “boycotts” no different then bullying.

IF the possible slate of movies does come to fruition, the only movie I’d see is the Far From Home sequel...provided it’s within the MCU. It’d be a begrudging viewing, but I’d do it. If it’s completely broken from the MCU, I’m not “boycotting” it anymore then I am with Venom 2, Spiderverse 2, Morbius, or the possible other ones. I’m just not interested in them.

edited September 2019

From Matt: "IF the possible slate of movies does come to fruition, the only movie I’d see is the Far From Home sequel...provided it’s within the MCU."

Due to the legal minefield, a Sony Spider-Man movie starring Tom Holland is unlikely to refer to anything within the MCU.

Look, I'm not going to lie...I was also disappointed to see this falling out between Disney/Marvel and Sony. For the most part, I've enjoyed Spider-Man's presence in the MCU...but that said, it's never felt as fully "Spider-Man" as I would prefer. Of all the cinematic incarnations of Spidey, I still feel that Raimi's Spider-Man 2 is the gold standard...and the Tom Holland version has a long way to go before it can get close to that level. Maybe booting him off into his own boxed-off universe is just what he needs to grow beyond the "Aw Shucks" peachy keenness of his MCU persona into a more fully realized and emotionally complex character that doesn't need high school drama or a billionaire sugar daddy to prop him up. Let's spend more than five minutes with a breezy & bodacious Aunt May and explore the so-far unaddressed history of her and Peter's lives prior to their Civil War debut. Was there ever an Uncle Ben? Is Aunt May going to be more than an endless "it's funny because she's hot" joke, or is Marisa Tomei actually going to do some real acting? Will Tom Holland get to do something beyond capering for Tony Stark's approval or revealing his identity to yet another high school pal?

I guess what I'm getting at is maybe....just maybe....Spider-Man's formal departure from the MCU will allow his own story to get the focus it deserves...and not just as another small tile in the larger mosaic of Kevin Feige's next Five Year Plan.

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Aside from a few scenes (mostly not in his solo movies) this version never felt like Spider-man to me as much as Raimi’s 2 movies. If there’s no new deal & the next solo Spidey is outside the MCU, I’m good skipping it. Without yet another reboot, the MCU portions is still continuity. And I’m good skipping a movie I lack interest in.

Hell, if they weren’t connected to the MCU, I’d have skipped the GotG movies, Captain Marvel, & Ragnarok.