Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Disney+: Who’s In?

Anyone signed up for this yet? Looks like most of the 80s/90s Disney power cartoons are coming to the service (https://chipandco.com/ducktales-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-talespin-and-darkwing-duck-coming-to-disney-364629/)

Also, much (if not all) of the Marvel cartoons (https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/09/12/spider-man-and-x-men-the-animated-series-on-disney-at-launch/)

In addition to the Star Wars & MCU stuff.

How awesome will this streaming service be?!

https://images.app.goo.gl/S5L9ARYzXrKdJHPt5

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited September 2019

I'm in.

Don't forget the $14.00 package comes with Hulu and ESPN+

Good night Netflix

• Options
    Disney + sounds great but I've been going in the opposite direction with cutting the cord, less TV, less time for TV, and just focusing on those exact programs that I want.

I've never had the time to get to those past Netflix shows so I imagine I might wait for word of mouth and pick those shows that appeal to me the most and ignore the rest. Certainly a Falcon and Winter Soldier show gets my attention and maybe She-Hulk but, with so much Marvel product out there, I can be picky.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I signed up with the D23 offer they had. Besides I saw a screen shot that had the various properties they own. One was Herbie the Love Bug. Hell yeah I’m im
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    No. Partly because it's not launching here until some vague future date, but also they are making too much content.

I only pay to see two Marvel films a year, the third or fourth get unwatched, so I really don't want or need a drip feed of weekly mcu content.

I've seen it happen with wwe, and I could see it happen here, a deluge of content will wring every last dollar of the hardcore, but erode your Audience over time.

And I've never been a Disney fan, so their back catalogue is no pull for me, nor is Star wars.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The D23 was a no-brainer for us. I would have done it for Star Wars shows alone, but it also helps that our 9 and 5 year olds' are big fans of both old and new Disney, and I doubt that will be changing in the next 3 years, so we went for that.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm in. Probably for the Hulu/ESPN+ tier. They had me with the Mandalorian.

Will likely drop some other service to pick it up - Crunchyroll is on notice. :)
  • Options
    I will be getting it. Besides the Star Wars and Marvel shows, there are so many classic Disney movies.
    I'm also getting HBO back... I think it's been about 3 years since I lad had it (through cable, which is gone now too). Getting HBO Now, and probably HBO Max next year when it becomes available, because of Watchmen (Watchmen Minute podcast might have episode by episode recaps), but there's plenty of great recent and older shows to watch and rewatch.
    I might be dropping DCU.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Definitely in, especially since I already have Hulu lol.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I’ve been thinking about this since you’ve posted it. I’m wondering if it’ll be 1 or 2 series at a time. I believe, unlike Netflix, it’s an episode a week.

Since my approach in the MCU is changing moving forward, I think there’s enough variety that I can pick & choose instead of feeling obligated to watch stuff I’m not interested in. I know MK & the Falcon/Winter Soldier shows are topping my list. The others will probably be more “wait & heat if they mean anything to the overall Phase arc.” The only episodes (with the exception of the pilot) of Agents of SHIELD were the ones directly related to the movies...well, I only watch the scenes that tie in.

I know there’s stuff on Freeform & I believe there’ll be stuff on Hulu, but I’ll skip them too.

• Options
    edited September 2019

Weird no Winter Soldier. I did see Spider-man & His Amazing Friends and the 1981 series.

• Options
    I’m sure it’ll be added
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Important question:

Do we think Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time is still canon?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Important question:

Better question: Do you think it’s a coincidence that “Brand New Day” launched the year after Cinderalla 3?
  • Options
    David_D said:

Important question:

If Beverly Hills Chihuahua 3: Viva La Fiesta isn’t I may need to reassess things
  • Options
    Nope. Star Wars is shitty, now. I think the MCU is done for. Kids are too old for Disney stuff. I'm out.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I plan on treating it the same way I am CBS' app, that is wait for a few things I'm interested in, subscribe long enough to see them, unsubscribe, then come back for new seasons.

It's too bad they didn't bundle comics like DC Universe does or I'd very possibly be a permanent subscriber.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I signed up for the CBS app free trial for the UGA/ND game. I cancelled the next day. I'm going to sign back up next month for the next UGA game schedule for CBS.

• Options

Suddenly I’m feeling like the CBS app isn’t a cool one to stay with. I know my wife uses it for a couple of shows & I use it for when the Pats are playing.

• Options

Matt, I don't know about the cool factor. I got it for Georgia football and it worked perfectly for my need.

We've got kids though so that's a big factor. The Disney+ is going to be important in my house and boomerang is so cheap its basically deciding to eat in 2x during a year instead of going out.

• Options
  • Options

Only when they have the Super Bowl...and my team is playing...and wins (not going to lie about those last 2).

• Options
    They've tweeted all of the movies that are part of the initial launch... in chronological release order. Always release order. No "Song of the South". Star Wars and Muppets' movies included. Also series... Spider-Man - Series (1981) and Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (1981). Willow is another highlight!
  • Options
    And because I'm looking for a normal text listing of all of these titles, I just found this.
    Interesting part is the schedule:
    "The service will boast 300 movie titles on day one, and that'll grow to more than 500 (100 of them being "recent" theatrical film releases) in the first year, as well as 7,500 episodes of TV."

Pre-edit: Found the list in the article linked to above. Thanks!
  • Options
    I actually am not super impressed with the list of titles. I am more interested in the TV series, which seems pretty weak to me. I've been hoping for more 80s and 90s cartoons, and while there are a few like Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles, there aren't all that many. This might just be that Disney didn't have that many cartoons from that era, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2019
    mphil said:

I actually am not super impressed with the list of titles. I am more interested in the TV series, which seems pretty weak to me. I've been hoping for more 80s and 90s cartoons, and while there are a few like Darkwing Duck and Gargoyles, there aren't all that many. This might just be that Disney didn't have that many cartoons from that era, I'm not sure.

Disney didn’t have a lot going on TV-wise for most of the ’80s outside of Gummi Bears. Late ’80s/early ’90s is when they ran their Disney block of afternoon cartoons and you had Darkwing Duck, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, and—my favorite—TaleSpin. It blew up from there and probably peaked around 1996, 1997. Best stuff from the ’80s/’90s: Gummi Bears, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Doug (which they bought after season four, during the same time they bought ABC), Recess, and Pepper Ann (the first—and for many years only—Disney cartoon created by a woman). Not sure if they still have the license for Gummi Bears, but they should have rights for all the rest.
  • Options
    Thanks! It's crazy, there were so many action cartoons in this time period and Disney had very few apparently? I mean, all of Saturday Morning cartoons, they didn't own any of those?

But yeah, this is a niche want I guess. Most people are out for the movies and they have those. Personally I'll wait for the TV series I like and unsubscribe after I've watched them.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2019
    mphil said:

Thanks! It's crazy, there were so many action cartoons in this time period and Disney had very few apparently? I mean, all of Saturday Morning cartoons, they didn't own any of those?

Disney didn’t produce an animated TV series until 1983. They produced eight shows in the ’80s, and only three of them were for a Saturday morning lineup. They produced 27 shows in the ’90s, many of them (Doug, Recess, Pepper Ann, etc.) for ABC after they purchased the network in 1996, but probably half of them were for syndication.
  • Options

Well I signed up for the year. I'll cancel my Hulu once that bundle goes live