Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    @mwhitt80, watch out for those northern snakeheads!
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

I saw that. Those things can crawl into your bed and eat you while you sleep

Yeah, one of those missing link freaky animals. I don’t like fish that can go on walkabout.

You know what I want to know?

How has everyone been lately?

mwhitt80 said:

Let’s see, my wife’s work burned to the ground a couple of months ago, and she just started a new job with a new company this week, so our schedules have gone through some major shifting. My wife has to drive a lot further to get to work now, and has to be there earlier, so I have to take our daughter to school now, and pick her up, which means going to bed earlier (something I still haven’t been able to do), getting up earlier, and going to/leaving work earlier. I haven’t been getting nearly enough sleep this week. It’s going to be tough for me to get used to the new schedule because I’m used to doing my freelance work at night after dinner, and we aren’t eating dinner any earlier.

To answer your question more succinctly: Tired. I’ve been very... very... tired.

The boy turned 2 last month, he's a monster with a very sweet smile. The girl has started girl scouts, and is doing acrobatics with her dance class. The wife is doing well and I am okay.

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    My recliner broke...again ( it now reclines at will, even if no one is sitting in it). Also, I seem to have developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot. Having to run back and forth from the scanner to my computer for the Invincible Iron Man-The Five Nightmares review has been an adventure (not to mention shoveling snow from the blizzard last week).

On the plus side, I was finally able to drop McAfee...seriously $200 a year for protection (yeesh!).
  • @RedRight88 ,

I had plantar fasciitis in the past and saw a foot doctor who recommended a very simple stretch that I did 3 times a day (any time you want) got rid of it for me. This video shows you how to do the stretch with your hand or a belt (remember that you pull back on the ball of your feet, not just the toes if you use a hand or belt) You should feel the stretch in your calf! I held each stretch for a 40 second count (counting in my head "1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, etc".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfVZ_j2or3U

However, I did not do the stretch like that. I found doing the stretches upright against a wall (See minutes 5-6 in this second video for the kind of stretch I mean. (Do not bounce like the guy in the video! Hold the stretch as if you were stretching for a run for 30-40 second count) is the easiest and best way to do it (which is how my doctor told me to do it) bc

1. You're using a lot of your body weight to hold the stretch.
    2. You don't have to sit down or take off your shoes to do it. I would lean against a subway wall waiting for the train or against the wall at work. The stretches in the first video require you to be sitting down with no shoes and you have to use your arms to hold the stretch rather than letting gravity do it. Always keep both feet facing forward and not angled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7N-QPnK90

Hope that helps.

@RedRight88 ,

I had plantar fasciitis in the past and saw a foot doctor who recommended a very simple stretch that I did 3 times a day (any time you want) got rid of it for me. This video shows you how to do the stretch with your hand or a belt (remember that you pull back on the ball of your feet, not just the toes if you use a hand or belt) You should feel the stretch in your calf! I held each stretch for a 40 second count (counting in my head "1-1000, 2-1000, 3-1000, etc".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfVZ_j2or3U

However, I did not do the stretch like that. I found doing the stretches upright against a wall (See minutes 5-6 in this second video for the kind of stretch I mean. (Do not bounce like the guy in the video! Hold the stretch as if you were stretching for a run for 30-40 second count) is the easiest and best way to do it (which is how my doctor told me to do it) bc

1. You're using a lot of your body weight to hold the stretch.
    2. You don't have to sit down or take off your shoes to do it. I would lean against a subway wall waiting for the train or against the wall at work. The stretches in the first video require you to be sitting down with no shoes and you have to use your arms to hold the stretch rather than letting gravity do it. Always keep both feet facing forward and not angled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7N-QPnK90

Hope that helps.

Thanks, I've also taken some anti-inflammatories and switched my insoles. It's been slowly clearing up, except whenever I walk on an uneven surface.

Has anyone noticed that the post office is shipping packages faster? At first I thought it was blip, but my packages have been getting here 2 to 3 days faster than normal for the last few months

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

I've traveled probably more this year than in the past four to five years combined. This is a big deal for me as I'm a bit of a hobbit. I love my home and I like staying in it. :)

But getting out and seeing the rest of the world for a bit didn't kill me.

I turned 50 this year. Wasn't nearly as traumatic as people make it out to be.

Pulled my shoulder earlier this year trying to lift something I had no business lifting. Doctor said it was 'frozen' which just means it'll heal but it's gonna take a looong time.

So, having a good time overall. 2019's been a pretty good year all things considered.
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The new Batman film is shaping up to have a great cast
    This is in regards to Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola’s comments about Marvel films

Well, the big trailer everyone has been anticipating has finally dropped...

Season Three of The Crown on Netflix!!
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    DAR said:

This is in regards to Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola’s comments about Marvel films

Everyone in this culture war keeps missing the real problem - Disney destroying the very concept of public domain over successive decades. It's allowed the stockpiling of IP in too few hands and forced us to watch so many bad Sherlock Holmes and Robin Hood films.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

Queued up for 6 hours today for the London pokemon centre. Managed to get an exclusive gentleman pikachu, so happy with that.

A bit of Advice:
    When looking up information on the whole Iceman being outed as gay by Jean Grey story, make sure to include "Marvel Iceman Gay" of "X-Men Iceman Gay" in your Google search.

If not, you just get a bunch of theories about Val Kilmer's character from Top Gun.
    edited November 2019

I hope everyone had a great Halloween

Us last night, the wife told me I couldn't shave the beard into a goatee

edited November 2019

One thing I will say everyone knew who we were.

I found sewing patterns for the kids and Heather's mom made the Dickie for Fred and the Daphne outfit.

For the first time in almost twenty years, I will not have to work on Thanksgiving. Instead, I will have to deliver a quadruple-sized newspaper chock-full of Black Friday ads on Wednesday, November 27.

Yay?

(Just to clarify, I have not been delivering newspapers for 20 years. I used to work at a Video Store that was always open on Thanksgiving. We almost never had any customers come in, just phone calls wondering if we were open.)

I placed an order with twomorrows publishing on your recommendation I got MM Guy Davis @nweathington I also picked up two backissues digitally.

• mwhitt80 said:

I placed an order with twomorrows publishing on your recommendation I got MM Guy Davis @nweathington I also picked up two backissues digitally.

Cool! Hope it lives up to expectations.
    So I watched one episode of Avengers:United They Stand(really one one is all I could watch). But I was wondering why did Ultron sound like Lord Humongous from the Road Warrior
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

(Just to clarify, I have not been delivering newspapers for 20 years. I used to work at a Video Store that was always open on Thanksgiving. We almost never had any customers come in, just phone calls wondering if we were open.)

That's wild. Thanksgiving (and the eve of) were always our busiest days when I did my time in the video mines. It was always "all hands" and you were given the option to work the day before or the day of but you HAD to choose one or the other. No vacations.

I never understood how, with all that football, people had to come rent a videotape. :D

Torchsong said:

That's wild. Thanksgiving (and the eve of) were always our busiest days when I did my time in the video mines. It was always "all hands" and you were given the option to work the day before or the day of but you HAD to choose one or the other. No vacations.

I never understood how, with all that football, people had to come rent a videotape. :D

Funny quota: The last video store in Bismarck which was a sister location that I worked at just announced that it's closing on 12/28 (the one I worked at closed in 2009).

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving