Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Bryan said:

Long Road to Liquor City - OGN from Oni Press. A story of Hobos in search of the mythical Liquor City. Written by Macon Blair, Art & letters by Joe Flood. I’d had my eye on this for a while, and I finally grabbed it at my LCS’ FCBD sale. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Funny, endearing, and compelling with well done art that fits the story. Worth the read.

Dang it! I ordered the book, but it wasn’t in my bag last week. I'm hoping the store just got shorted, and it will be there this week. At least I know to ask about it now.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

I'm going on the digital to find a copy. I just finished big rock candy mountain and am in a mood.fir more hobos

@Torchsong I finished Urusei Yatsura

on a scale of 1 to the mom from how ready are you for volume 2.

• aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited June 2019
    Anyone reading Bad Luck Chuck? I'm thinking of picking up the trade.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Picked up Black Cat #1 because Travel Foreman was on art, and it really surprised me. Because it's Foreman it's not the usual cheesecake fest that Black Cat projects tend to end up being, but the surprise was how back to basics it was.

The first issue takes the character of Felicia all the way back to her original appearance in Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 #194, by bringing back her original crew from that story. Which is kind of fitting for her 40th anniversary as a character.

You don't even have know she's a Spider-Man character for this issue to work. Or that this is a world with superheroes in it for that matter. Sets up her rival, her allies and a potential romantic interest, while telling the story of a complete heist. Does everything a first issue should.

There's a couple of nice short back up stories, one starring what is I assume the final part of the ensemble cast that is the main story's last page reveal.

Lots of weird the last few days. I'm rereading/finish reading the young animals line. I might have some strange dreams over the next few days.

Mother Panic 1-12: first I love Gotham stories that don't involve Batman, and this story reminded me a lot of Simon Dark. A really odd and dark conspiracy book with some very Gotham evil. It was good, but backup story was excellent and tied into the mother Panic storyline very well.

Shade the changing girl 1-6: I've read about half Vertigo's shade the changing man from the early 90s, but that was a decade ago and can't remember anything about it. This book so far has been forgetably strange; it's early vertigo weird (Morrison's Doom Patrol), just not as memorable. The art is good, colorful, and fits the comic, and the story is okay. Shade probably means a lot to some highschool kid (which is awesome and good), but I doubt I will ever reread it after I finish. The backup stories are vignettes of obscure or little known dc characters (space ranger etc..) that mirror the main theme of each issue, very hit and miss

Daredevil #7 continues the series shedding of everything traditionally Daredevil, as both Matt and Fisk begin to leave their traditional roles behind them.

The final page has Matt doing something that makes so much sense, that you wonder what terrible things are going to have to happen to drag the pair of them back to their status quo.
  • SharkJumperSharkJumper Posts: 204
    Finally, got to Darwyn Cooke's THE NEW FRONTIER.

Finally because I saw the animation first years ago at Wonder Con when it came out. Finally, because I saw Cooke speak back in 2008.
    Finally, because I had read his SOLO and THE SPIRIT work before and even seen a comic pro arriving late to a panel gleeful because he just got a copy of SELINA'S BIG SCORE and wanted to show the others.

This was a wonderful read for me and the only other artist that really captured an era of time with their work years after was Dave Stevens' THE ROCKETEER with the 1930s.

It was bittersweet too knowing that he had passed a few years ago. We are lucky that we get a full life of work out of many artists but creators like Cooke, Ringo, Mike Parobeck, Stevens, and others all leave us too soon. Even if Kirby lasted longer, he would have gotten the movie accolades that Stan eventually received. But, I think, this is the legacy a creator would have liked....for their work it be enjoyed after they are gone. Well done, Darwyn.

I just reread the first story arch of the Boys; I enjoyed it a little more than the first reading, but I think that the Prime show is better.

mwhitt80 said:

I just reread the first story arch of the Boys; I enjoyed it a little more than the first reading, but I think that the Prime show is better.

I read that first arc, but that was all I could take. Not an Ennis fan in the least (except for his first Hellblazer story).
    edited July 2019

I'm a Hitman fan, but the older I get the more I just don't really like GE comics. But Hitman is good comics.

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I have been reading the 1970's Vampirella stories and much to my surprise, they're pretty good! I always assumed her stories would be in the Spirit vein, where she herself isn't a particularly interesting character, but a protagonist to be inserted into a bunch of one-off stories of varying quality. And I'm assuming her very first stories were like that but I have been reading the Archie Goodwin stuff and wow! What a great writer! No wonder he's such a legend. I only knew him from the early Marvel Star Wars stuff which was great. But on Vampirella, he immediately took care of an issue that would be problematic (her need to kill people to survive) and gave her a long-term goal and motivation, as well as giving her solid supporting characters whom she would affect over several issues and vice versa. There's actually character development! Even more impressive Goodwin still makes sure each issue's tale is still self-contained, while still putting in the kinds of twists readers surely expected back then. The stories aren't perfect and are certainly of their time, but for what they were and the time period, they're very impressive. The artwork is also beautiful.

If you like his Vampi stories, then you should read his Blazing Combat stuff. Top notch, and an even more impressive list of artists.
    Blazing Combat was soooo damn good. Took me a long time to collect every issue. For me Blazing Combat is the best war comic I have read.

I got Lady Justice vol 2 issue 1 in a box of 20lbs of random comics. The box was a birthday gift for me from my parents. I remember when Tekno/Big Entertainment comics were coming out. But I never read any of them. So when I saw the Lady Justice comic in the box I put it in the stack of comics that I might read. Fast forward a few weeks I can't sleep and want something to read. Grabbed Lady Justice and read it. Holy Hell this is really good.Fred Harper's art is really nice. He does the pencils and inks. Fairly sure this is the only comic I have read that CJ Henderson wrote. And now I want to read more from CJ. I do wonder how much Neil Gaiman had to do with this comic. I have heard that lots of the Tekno stuff was basically people like Leonard Nimoy giving maybe a paragraph of an idea and then the writer doing most of the real creation of the comic.
    History of the Marvel Universe #1is amazing. Javier Rodriguez is so talented, making what could be a very dry exercise in continuity regurgitation into a psychedelic romp. Also, Waid's choice in making it a narrative makes me wonder if it is going to tie into Immortal Hulk #25 given what we see in issue 20 of that series and where this comic starts.

Anybody read anything interesting this week?

edited August 2019
    I read some stuff last week, including the final issue of Paper Girls, which I liked a lot, but this week I’ve been reading more of the latest Alex Toth collection. It's got a lot of rarer, and in some cases fairly obscure stories, so that’s been cool. I'm about a hundred pages in, and so far it’s all stuff I’ve never read before. I picked up new stuff yesterday, though, so I'll probably go ahead and read Sea of Stars #2 and Berserker Unbound #1 soon.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 208
    I just finished the trade for Murder Falcon by Daniel Warren Johnson. Wow. I had heard good things, and as a heavy metal fan I was expecting to like it. I was not expecting the most touching and emotional story I’ve read in a really long time. Absolutely 100% worth reading. The trade is available on Hoopla if your library participates.

So I was reading the solicitation for the new ghost Rider book. And it was talking about Johnny Blaze being the king of hell. Which lead to rereading the last handful of issues of 1990s ghost Rider.

In a complex set of events Danny Ketch became the king of hell in the last issue of his series. About a decade later marvel released Ghost Rider vol 2. #93 to undo the king of hell thing and maybe straighten out GR continuity (as resident GR continuity historian I feel like issue #93 is fan fiction but marvel didn't ask me). I'm a little bit disappointed with my reading choices.

I'm going to buy the new series and maybe like it, but what I really want is Jason Aaron to write a series around the adventures of smokey and the bandit ghost Rider from the end of his run on GR.

Is anyone reading the X-Men event? I've heard it's really good.

• jmoneyjmoney Posts: 31
    I've only skimmed a few issues of the new x-books. I'm going to borrow them from a friend once the initial story is done. I haven't really read the X-men since Morrison run and Wolverine: Origin kind of ruined them for me. I'm looking forward to checking out this corner of the Marvel Universe for the first time in a long time.
    mwhitt80 said:

It's good, not great. Too similar to both previous Hickman plots and recent-ish X-Men plots to be truly the great leap forward that they want it to be.

Hopefully, Powers of X 6 has a killer ending to make Dawn of X more enticing.

Brack said:

mwhitt80 said:

It's good, not great. Too similar to both previous Hickman plots and recent-ish X-Men plots to be truly the great leap forward that they want it to be.

Hopefully, Powers of X 6 has a killer ending to make Dawn of X more enticing.

Well not a killer ending that makes Dawn of X enticing, but it does have an ending that at least made the Powers of X part of the story a nice complete story.

I think I have identified the key problem I have with Hickman's HOXPOXDOX. By inserting a retcon at the origin point of the X-Men, that retcon has to support 56 years of publishing history, and naturally it can't. Compare that to the superior Immortal Hulk which instead extrapolates from a story point in the earliest of Hulk comics. Ewing is standing on the shoulders of giants, Hickman is trying lift all the giants up.

That being said, X-Men #1 was good. Hickman, clearly deliberately, is casting the Summers family as the Inhumans here. Which works on a meta-ironic level, but because he also brings back another group of post-humans beings in this issue, it works as a reminder that there are other post-human races on Marvel Earth that might want the same rights as the mutants have created for themselves.

With Magneto's repeated referral to himself and mutants as gods, I wonder if that is going to pay off with a confrontation with actual Marvel gods, or the other Celestial-born race of mortal gods, The Eternals.
    I think Ewing talked up Immortal Hulk #25 a little too much, in that my expectations weren't really met.

Ignoring that, it is really good. Garcia and O'Halloran's art for the bulk of the book gives it a necessarily non-Marvel look until the story's turning point, when it invokes classic Kirby. And the final pages with regular art team Bennett and Jose gives the story a physical presence in the world of the Immortal Hulk.

Glad they are keeping the numbering and looking forward to Act Two of this tale, as the forces of capitalism make their move against Hulk.

Well I reread the Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye 1-6 because I couldn't remember what happened. They were really good.

I also discovered that I had not finished shade the changing girl. I'm not going to either. I moved the last 2 issues to the read pile

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

Well I reread the Cave Carson has a Cybernetic Eye 1-6 because I couldn't remember what happened. They were really good.

I also discovered that I had not finished shade the changing girl. I'm not going to either. I moved the last 2 issues to the read pile

Which means it is now the read* pile.
    edited October 2019

😄

Yep. Or maybe that one got put in the poop pile.

Immortal Hulk #26 and New Mutants #1 are very different comics but they have one thing in common, they don't rely on you having read previous comics by their authors, but they do reward you if you have.

Which is arguably a first for the Dawn of X comics.

The Sunspot here feels like the version of the character Hickman (and then Immortal Hulk's Al Ewing) tapped into and the story ties to Hickman's Avenger run (and Ewing's subsequent Mighty Avengers/USAvengers run). And Hickman & Brisson do a better job of making some of other New Mutants feel the weight of theor character histories (not all of them, Wolfsbane doesn't feel like the Rahne who went through X-Factor and Mondo is this comic's continuity enigma).

Ron Reis does a good job of channelling the lighter moments of Bill Sienkiewicz's New Mutants on the art.

And it's where we get the first hint that this utopia is possibly doomed in a similar way to one of the futures we saw in Powers of X.

Immortal Hulk also briefly references USAvengers in a single line that puts Shadowbase into a context with the events of that comic and Mighty Avengers before it.

It also makes a reference to HOXPOX's villains ORCHIS among other things that positions the themes of Immortal Hulk nicely among ongoing events in other comics.
  • ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481

I thought the first issue of Thumbs was decent. Story ok but art very nice.

e

L nny

• chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    I really enjoyed Legion of Super-Heroes #1. An interesting story and beautiful art is good way start the series.
  • Ezri_ElEzri_El Posts: 9
    edited November 2019

I too enjoyed Legion of Superheroes. I was afraid it would feel too much like Young Justice and was glad to see otherwise. The story set-up is quite intriguing and it was nice to see Jon still be Jon even if he looks older.

Lois Lane continues to be top notch. I can't say enough good things about this series! The art, the story, The Question! Simply elegant.

Also, one of my favorite chapters of Superman: Up in the Sky. I was fortunate enough to get the Walmart exclusives, but Tom King's vignette style space adventure for the Man of Steel is good enough to own twice! This particular chapter has him facing a moral conundrum beset by Darkseid, and the outcome was brilliantly written.