Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1753 Talkback - Spotlight on the Black Widow

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited January 2020 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Lover. Killer. Superhero. Spy. Natalia Alianovna Romanova, alias the Black Widow, has acted in many capacities during her six decades of appearances in Marvel Comics. Now, CGS chief intelligence officer Chris Eberle opens the Widow dossier to debrief the public on the lives, loves, and lethal labors of this intriguing character. Classified Information--Ears Only! (1:59:34)

Listen here, comrades!

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited November 2019
    J.G. Jones has mainly been doing occasional covers the last two or three years. He did a somewhat controversial creator-owned miniseries with Mark Waid, Strange Fruit, which ended in 2017—that was his most recent interior work. He’s had to slow down after getting a stem cell transplant to deal with his blood cancer (Polycythemia Vera).
  • I was also five minutes late in trying to visit the recording studio.
  • Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited November 2019
    Another great Spotlight, gang! It was fun getting a "tune-up" on my Black Widow knowledge before next year's solo movie.

Re: The "leather jacket era" of the Avengers: As silly as the Avengers looked in matching leather jackets, I think the absolute height (depth?) of than inane fad was when the Human Torch was sporting a leather jacket! What...was he cold? Was the ability to burst into flame and fly not quite cool enough?

• Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited November 2019
    I also wanted to add a bit more to the Black Widow history, which took place in the Marvel Team-Up appearance that Murd briefly touched on. Starting in MTU #82, Spidey saved a woman named Nancy from a mugging, but quickly realized she's actually the Black Widow! As Spidey and Nancy gradually piece together, the Widow had been captured and tortured during a HYDRA attack on SHIELD. As a result of the torture, Natasha regressed to an old cover identity of school teacher Nancy Rushman (Rushman? Russian? Get it?).

"Nancy" actually falls in love with Spider-Man during their adventure, though once Natasha fully regains her memory, it's right back into the Friend Zone. I thought this closing sequence, especially the final three panels, provided a nice "defining statement" on the Black Widow and her strength as a character.

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Regressed to become a former cover ID? Hmm, sounds like what happened to Moon Knight a couple times that current writers decided was DID.

• Another great episode. Thanks!