Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Read Amazing High Adventures #1. Odd ass book to come out of mid 80s Marvel. It is a Heavy Metal like anthology title. Was 2 bucks an issue. And seems to focus on fantasy and war stories.
  • dubbat138 said:

Read Amazing High Adventures #1. Odd ass book to come out of mid 80s Marvel. It is a Heavy Metal like anthology title. Was 2 bucks an issue. And seems to focus on fantasy and war stories.

Some great artists worked on that: Mike Mignola, Tony Salmons, Bret Blevins, John Severin, Bill Sienkiewicz, John Bolton.... Good stuff!
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    The Bill Sienkiewicz cover on issue 1 is what caught my eye.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited November 2019
    Remember what I said about Excalibur #1. Well the same goes for Fallen Angels #1. This should have been a Kwannon/Psylocke solo book tapping into theme transhuman themes of Hickman's vision of the X-Men and doing a Marvel homage to 80s sci-fi manga/anime and 70s gekiga.

Instead it's got X-23 and Teenage Cable in it, dragging the pacing down to a turgid angsty X-book.

Realised that this was meant for the similarly titled thread about comics you didn't like, so...

I did like History of the Marvel Universe #5. While it drove home how event-centric the 00s were, Javier Rodriguez delivers as always. Odd no mention of Young Avengers though?

Next issue: will Immortal Hulk show up and eat our narrators?
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

I’ve not read a lot of comics this year. It’s been a crazy one, but I’ve managed to sit down and start the recent Johns Shazam! series. Only 4 issues in, but it is a FUN book. I’m happy I’m not up on my books right now, as I think this is serially late, but I’m really liking it.

• mphilmphil Posts: 448
    The James Bond ongoing from Dynamite is fantastic. I'm consistently enthralled while reading this book ever month. Definitely one of my top 2 or 3 favorite ongoing titles right now. Highest recommendation.
    edited January 2020
    I liked the notes on how to write a Yorkshire accent in Valkyrie this week. That was my main worry about the book now Ewing is off to to Guardians of the Galaxy - would Mr. Horse still sound like Sean Bean? This waylaid my fears a little.

Also the story was really good! Death is dying due to the revolving door of death spinning at a faster rate than ever before due to events in Immortal Hulk and the X-Books, so various licensed physicians from across the Marvel Universe (Dr Strange, Night Nurse, Cardiac, Faiza Hussain, and Manikin) team up with Jane Foster to save her life (death?).
  • The first issue of Protector is every bit as good as I was hoping and expecting. Co-writer Simon Roy is using his interest and knowledge of ancient North American cultures to inform and color the story’s rich world-building. I suppose it would be classified as dystopian science-fiction, but this isn’t a world in chaos where it’s a daily struggle just to survive. Rather, it’s a complex, fairly structured world, though certainly it comes with its own dangers and hardships. Think of it as a world not knocked back to the Stone Age, but rather to the 1600s or so. It all adds up to a very distinctive flavor.

The artwork by Artyom Trakhanov is fantastic. I'd never heard of him before, but I can’t wait to see more of his stuff. He’s from Siberia originally, and his work definitely has a European feel—I see, perhaps, a Hugo Pratt influence. His bold inking is lively and energetic. Stylistically, he’s somewhere in the Carlos Ezquerra, Chris Schweizer, Andrew MacLean territory, and is just as good as any of those guys.

This is the first issue of five. Hopefully this will get a big enough audience that it can become a series of miniseries, because I want more. It gets a solid A from me. Buy, buy, buy!
  • dubbat138 said:

Some great artists worked on that: Mike Mignola, Tony Salmons, Bret Blevins, John Severin, Bill Sienkiewicz, John Bolton.... Good stuff!
    Herb Trimpe did a FANTASTIC series in AHA about people in biplanes. Some of the most beautiful artwork I have ever seen in a comic. I only knew him from his HULK days.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

I've been reading the 1987 Question.

Man that is a good series. The art is really good the story is good and issue #1 ends with our hero having his head caved in, then a bullet put through it and his body tossed in the canal.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

I've been reading the 1987 Question.

Man that is a good series. The art is really good the story is good and issue #1 ends with our hero having his head caved in, then a bullet put through it and his body tossed in the canal.

One of my all-time favorites. I was fascinated by the scattered issues I found on the cheap when I was young and it was coming out, and then later when I started making a point of reading comics again, and tracking down issues at shops in my touring days, that was one of my favorites to bin-dive for. The original single issues were fun, as it was one of the better, deeper letter columns, as O'Neil would sometimes do mini essays, if I remember right, in the letter column, and definitely did reading recommendations. It reminds me of what Brubaker now does in the back of his and Philips single issues. Enjoy! It is worth the full journey.

I really liked the letter column from issue 1 of the question. It gave a brief publishing history of the question and Charlton heroes with each of the contributors writing a little something. The thing that struck me was that by the end of issue 3 DC would have published more Question material as Charlton.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited March 2020
    I read the Brubaker/Phillips stuff in trade form, and I'm way behind, but with the Best of 2019 Awards coming, and me needing to find enough categories to reach the 12-category-votes minimum, I skipped ahead to read Criminal: Bad Weekend. It’s a great story, first off, but it got me wondering how many Criminal readers will get all the references in the story. There’s probably a good number who will recognize Alex Toth as the basis for Hal Crane (named after Hal Foster and Roy Crane), and those same readers will probably figure out that Archie Lewis is a stand-in for Alex Raymond, but will they know that Alex Raymond did actually die in a car crash, and the passenger in the car was his former assistant Austin Briggs, who had followed him on Flash Gordon as well as Secret Agent Corrigan. How many will catch the dig at Vince Colletta (a.k.a. Bernie)? Or recognize the cameo of David Mandel (David Mandrill)? So many little details in the story that aren’t just little Easter eggs, but also are close enough to the truth to give the story verisimillitude. Well worth getting the hardcover edition.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    edited March 2020
    If you haven’t read it, you (generic) owe it to yourself to read Daniel Warren Johnson’s Murder Falcon before voting in the Breakthrough category. Best thing I read last year.
  • Strange Adventures #1
    Adam Strange and Alanna are back.
    Some set up and gorgeous art in the first issue.
    Check it out. I think you all might like it.
    Bryan said:

If you haven’t read it, you (generic) owe it to yourself to read Daniel Warren Johnson’s Murder Falcon before voting in the Breakthrough category. Best thing I read last year.

I haven’t read it yet beyond skimming through a couple of issues (I’ll rectify that and pick up the trade soon), but I did vote for him because I like his artwork quite a bit and I'm seeing his name all over the place. It’s got that Paul Pope/European-meets-manga vibe. I'm diggin’ it.

Strange Adventures #1

Picked it up yesterday. Plan on reading it this weekend.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Strange Adventures #1

It's in my DCBS shipment so I'll get to read it sometime soonish. Continue to love the service, but my shipments seem to be coming later - used to get my shipment tracking numbers on Wednesdays (sometimes even on Tuesdays) and had my books by Friday. Now I'm getting my tracking numbers on Fridays.
    Read Strange Adventures #1, and it’s off to an excellent start. The artwork is just as outstanding as expected, and story-wise I think I’m going to like this one more than Mister Miracle. Oh, and the Carmine Infantino quote on the last page came from the book on Carmine that Jim Amash and I did a few years back. My only complaint with the issue was that we didn’t get a credit.
  • BryanBryan Posts: 207
    Finally caught up and finished Tom King’s Batman run.

Mostly it’s great and I think DC should have let him finish, but man it really goes off the rails for a bit there in the 60s. The knightmare storyline was like 6 issues too long. Yes, it gave us the Lois and Catwoman bachelorette party I never knew I wanted, but that would have been better off as an annual or one shot in the lead up to the wedding.

Glad I had some time to get back to it. Now to catch up on Tynion’s first 6...
    Immortal Hulk #34 is a master class in weaving existing continuity into something that makes it appear multiple creators were all working to the same game plan.

Ewing does it again this week in Empyre Avengers #0 but that's less of a stretch as it builds on p. much only Steve Englehart stories (Celestial Madonna, Celestial Quest). Ewing seems to be on an Englehart kick this year, as his Guardians of the Galaxy is delving into Englehart's original Star Lord plans.

Kodt 173-175!

I'm doing an epic re-read man this is such a good series.

• Ashton099Ashton099 Posts: 1

My haul this week, unfortunately my shop didn’t get any of its DC orders. I’ve also started reading the original Spider Girl series by Tom Defalco and Ron Frenz and Secret Wars II (it’s so bad it’s actually entertaining).

Here goes an oldie from July.

My daughter kept asking me to read her kodt for month. So I decided that a 6 year old girl with zero knowledge of games/gaming would stop bothering me after two pages. Nope she has had me read bundle of trouble 1 and two issues.

I can't read more than two story breaks with voices before I am exhausted

Who's reading good stuff right now?

My daughter put KoDT because she doesn't like Sara getting one over on the boys.

Now we are reading Scooby Doo team volume 2.

I'm finishing up the Art of Steven Universe book currently, and it's quite well put together. I'll be going back to comics in a few days.

I have never watched that show

mwhitt80 said:

I have never watched that show

So good.

Ohhh boy...

I'm going to praise any reading today....

So my kids watched the original starwars trilogy last week for the first time. Somehow I have kept my daughter in the dark about Luke's dad for almost 7 years. Her reaction was priceless.

This has led us down the path of other star wars. We are currently reading the dark horse Droids and Ewoks omnibus that reprints the marvel series from the 1980s. It is not very good, but they enjoy it. I think it has more to do with me doing voices; my daughter told her mom stop reading because "mom wasn't reading right"

• mwhitt80 said:

Ohhh boy...

I'm going to praise any reading today....

So my kids watched the original starwars trilogy last week for the first time. Somehow I have kept my daughter in the dark about Luke's dad for almost 7 years. Her reaction was priceless.

This has led us down the path of other star wars. We are currently reading the dark horse Droids and Ewoks omnibus that reprints the marvel series from the 1980s. It is not very good, but they enjoy it. I think it has more to do with me doing voices; my daughter told her mom stop reading because "mom wasn't reading right"

I remember volunteering for a parents' reading day back when my daughter was in kindergarten. I did voices for Horton Hatches the Egg and the kids ate it up. But once you start doing voices, there is no turning back.