Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Crisis Tapes 20 Talkback - Crisis on Infinite Earths #5, Part 2

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited January 2020 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The last will and testament of the Monitor! Amok-time on two fugitive Earths! And the multiversal mother of all crowd scenes aboard the Monitor's satellite! Venture beneath the cover of CoIE #5 with Adam and Peter! (2:58:16)

Listen here.

Comments

• PantsPants Posts: 567
    I believe there was one character you didn't identify from the satellite splash - the person behind Katana.
    Any idea who that is?
  • chrislchrisl Posts: 78
    Pants said:

I believe there was one character you didn't identify from the satellite splash - the person behind Katana.
    Any idea who that is?

I believe it’s Gold from the Metal Men.
  • chrisl said:

Pants said:

Any idea who that is?

I believe it’s Gold from the Metal Men.
    I believe Chris is correct!
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Pants said:

Any idea who that is?

1:47:14 ;)
  • PantsPants Posts: 567
    Peter said:

Pants said:

Any idea who that is?

1:47:14 ;)
    Thanks Peter - I must have missed you mention Gold initially. I was listening around the 2:07:00-2:08:00 mark when Murd was discussing that area and thought it was strange he didn't mention him.
  • Re: Jerry Ordway coming on board as inker, George told me that he learned a lot from Jerry during that time, and began incorporating much of what Jerry was doing into his approach when inking his own work (and I think it clearly shows).

Also, Jerry was initially asked to start with issue #6, but started an issue earlier when editorial called and begged him to start with #5 instead because George was threatening to quit (presumably over Mike DeCarlo’s inking—Jerry didn’t give me the reason). Jerry did it, but had to finish his assignment inking Byrne on FF (which went on two issues longer than planned) and had to talk Julie Schwartz into letting him just ink the DC Presents Annual he was supposed to pencil and ink—while still inking two highly detailed Crisis pages a day (George was sending him pages pretty much every day, and Jerry had to turn them around within a day to stay on schedule). He had to bring in Al Vey (who at that time was still trying to break in) to ink backgrounds on FF and the DCP Annual, but inked all of Crisis himself. It’s pretty amazing it looks as good as it does.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

@Peter it's great to hear you back on the show. I've really enjoyed the last 2 crisis tapes

• Hi Adam and Peter,

It's great that you're sticking with this even after 10 years. A few comments about the topics you discussed...

It's interesting to wonder what the Anti-Monitor's (or Wolfman's) plans were for the Red Tornado, because the only lengthy appearance he has during the Crisis tie-ins is the Justice League Annual #3, and he basically reverts back to the Tornado Tyrant, which doesn't seem to be what's being alluded to here in issue #5.

I generally don't like it when they re-do background colors for subsequent versions of a comic collection unless they truly need correction. Especially in the case Murd sited on the scene where they shoot the Monitor into space; having the background white there would make it seem like they're just shooting him into the anti-matter wave.

Speaking of that scene where they shoot the Monitor's dead body into space, i'm not sure i ever really focused on it before. I understand doing this from a thematic perspective, bringing to mind either a burial at sea or even more to the point you made - a reference to the end of Star Trek II. I'm not so sure however if it was such a bright move on the characters' part though, and while in the story it never had short term consequences, i wonder if this didn't set the pattern Harbinger followed after History of the DCU when she just casually shot her recording into space.

In regard to the right top panel of page 5, i can totally see the likeness to the old ABC Sunday Movie intro now that you called it out...:) In fact, for those on the board who didn't grow up with that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDos1qPYlcc
    The image around 21 seconds is spot on.

I don't have any guesses as to the panel, but i'd like to imagine they included the Molder (e.g. Elongated Man in disguise), which i have a fondness for because (a) I own the Amazing Heroes 91 issue where they rant about that retcon at great lengths, and (b) that Flash comic where the character shows up is one i happened to own at one point from a small stack of comics from my grandmother's house that were kept in one of the hall cabinets for any of her grandchildren that would come visit.

Best wishes as you continue through the rest of the series and the doubtless many sidebar topics related to the Crisis that could fill many more years worth of episodes along the way.
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited December 2019
    I gave heartfelt thanks last week for yet another episode of Crisis Tapes - and so soon after the previous one! They're just getting better and better, Peter & Adam. I love listening to you guys.

I mean, who wouldn't love a podcast where one of its co-hosts so casually mentions: "Then that little blob next to him is Proty II, of the Legion of Super-Pets, from the Legion's future, you know, former pet of Chameleon Boy until he sued for liberation for himself and his kind..." :joy: :joy: :joy:

P.S. Thank you, @DMHaight, for that lovely nugget of 1982 nostalgia you've posted above <3
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited December 2019

10 year anniversary today!

Congrats to @Adam_Murdough and @Peter on an incredible series. I’m sure it’ll still be going in another 10 years 😀 and I’m happy with that!

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

Yes of course! Fixed.