Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Comic Geek Speak Best of 2019 Awards Submissions Thread (SUBMISSIONS DUE 2/9/2020)

Ladies and gentlemen, it is that time once again! That's right, it is time to submit your...submissions to the Comic Geek Speak Best of 2019 Awards! Here are, as always, your categories:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2019)
BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2019)
BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2019)
BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2019)
BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT
BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)
BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT
BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2019)
BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)
BEST WRITER
BEST ARTIST
BEST WRITER/ARTIST
BEST COLOR ARTIST
BEST LETTERER
BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2019

To participate, submit your ballot via e-mail to bestof@comicgeekspeak.com by 11:59 pm (EST), Sunday, Feb. 16, 2019. Please make a nomination in AT LEAST EIGHT of the above-listed categories, and select only ONE nominee per category! Whatever the majority of listeners choose will be included along with host submissions, and there will then be one last round of voting after that to choose our overall Best of 2019.

If you'd like to share your list of nominees publicly, please feel free to do it here in this thread, but be aware that posting such lists here DOES NOT COUNT as voting; you must submit your ballot via e-mail for it to be counted as part of the official listeners' nomination process!

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone! If you have any questions, feel free to comment here, and one of the Geeks will be glad to clarify! Or you can send a PM to Adam and he will get back to you ASAP.

Comments

• ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    edited February 2020
    I love going through my orders and Comixology purchases for this. Here are my nominees:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM: Inspector Judge Daher; Queen of Bad Dreams; Danny Lore and Jordi Pérez; Vault Comics

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM: The Klan of the Fiery Kross; Superman Smashes the Klan; Gene Luen Yang and Gurihiru; DC Comics

BEST NEW COMIC: Five Years; Terry Moore; Abstract Studios

BEST LIMITED SERIES: The No Ones; Jim Krueger and Well-Bee; Cave Pictures Publishing

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: Scooby-Doo Team Up 50; Sholly Fisch and Scott Jeralds; DC Comics

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: Revelation of the Phi Bomb; Strangers In Paradise XXV/Five Years; Terry Moore; Abstract Studios

BEST STORYLINE: The Other; Teen Titans; Adam Glass and Bernard Chang; DC Comics

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Something is Killing the Children; James Tynion IV and Werther Dell'Edera; Boom! Studios

BEST ONGOING COMIC: Usagi Yojimbo; Stan Sakai; IDW

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM: They Called Us Enemy; George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott, Harmony Becker; Top Shelf

BEST WRITER: Mark Waid; Various Titles; Marvel Comics

BEST ARTIST: Joe Bennett; Immortal Hulk; Marvel Comics

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Stan Sakai; Usagi Yojimbo; IDW

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Trish Mulvihill; various titles; DC Comics

BEST LETTERER: Cory Petit; Immortal Hulk; Marvel Comics

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2019: David F. Walker
  • Get those submission in, people! You're as important a part of this voting process as us Geeks are!
  • Trying to do some last minute reading before I make my final choices. I've got about a third of the list filled out so far.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    edited February 2020
    Still have a couple of slots I'm trying to decide on:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2019): Fuck Tarkington (Assassin Nation)

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2019): Jofel (Battlepug)

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2019): Sea of Stars

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2019): Assassin Nation

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: Sea of Stars #1

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: End of Sea of Stars #1

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series):

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Assassin Nation

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2019): Paper Girls

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): The Collected Toppi vol. 2: North America

BEST WRITER:

BEST ARTIST: Tradd Moore (The New World, Silver Surfer: Black)

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: James Stokoe (Sobek)

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Rico Renzi

BEST LETTERER:

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2019: Veronica Fish
  • jmoneyjmoney Posts: 31
    To save time you guys should feel free to just copy my list. ;-)

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2019)--------------------Black Panther and the Agents of Wakanda
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2019)----------------Overseer (Fantastic Four)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2019)---------------------Black Cat
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2019)-------------------LaGuardia
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT-------------------------------Marvel Comics 1,000
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT-----------------------------------Death of Alfred
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)-----------Thor/War of the Realms/KingThor
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT------------------------------------Daredevil
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2019)----Batman
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)----------------------Tigra: The Complete Collection
    BEST WRITER-------------------------------------------------Tom King (Batman)
    BEST ARTIST-------------------------------------------------Tana Ford (LaGuardia)
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST----
    BEST COLOR ARTIST------------------------------------------James Devlin (LaGuadia)
    BEST LETTERER----------------------------------------------Saida Temofonte (Catwoman)
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2019------------------------------Jen & Sylvia Soska (Black Widow)
  • sharkjumper2sharkjumper2 Posts: 38
    edited February 2020
    I'm still narrowing down my list but for your CGS consideration...

The Comic Geek Speak Best of 2019 Awards Submissions

???

Prospero of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest

Spider-man: Life Story
    Silver Surfer Black

Silver Surfer Black
    Spider-man: Life Story
    The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest

Bizarre Adventures #1 ["Eveline O'Reilly"]
    Captain America and the Invaders: Bahamas Triangle #1

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
    Doomsday Clock #12 (Will it or won’t it come out before 2020?)
    Cap gets the girl/Peggy (Avengers: Endgame)

Namor Attacks from Invaders

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT:
    Silver Surfer Black by Donny Cates
    Invaders by Al Ewing

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2019):
    Fantastic Four by Dan Slott

Tonta by Jaime Hernandez
    Is This How You See Me? by Jaime Hernandez
    The Twilight Man: Rod Serling and the Birth of Television [Humanoids]
    Shazam! The World's Mightiest Mortal Vol. 1
    Typex’ Rembrandt (SelfMadeHero/Art Masters)

BEST WRITER
    Dan Slott for Fantastic Four
    Alan Moore for The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Tempest

BEST ARTIST
    Ian Bertram for Little Bird (Image)
    Liam Sharpe for Green Lantern

BEST WRITER/ARTIST
    Jaime Hernandez

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Paolo Parisi for Basquiat: A Graphic Novel

BEST LETTERER
    Paolo Parisi for Basquiat: A Graphic Novel

Tradd Moore for Silver Surfer Black
    Ian Bertram for Little Bird (Image)

• BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2019)
    Naomi, hands down. My exposure to the writing of Brian Michael Bendis has been very limited until his move to DC, and I have to say I am thoroughly satisfied with his work. His dialogue is crisp and light (for the most part…he can overdo it sometimes), and his plots are paced well (except for the confusion that was Leviathan). David F. Walker is certainly no slouch himself. I don’t know offhand exactly how they split the writing duties on Naomi, but the outcome was fantastic. And of course, there is the stunning artwork of Jamal Campbell…I am a fan for life!

Marisol Leone, leader of the Invisible Mafia and new owner of the Daily Planet. Intelligent, crafty and stylish, she makes for a very compelling villain.

Legion of Super-Heroes. The jury may still be out on the sustainability of this new version of one of my favorite super teams, but what I’ve seen so far, I like very much. I especially like the fresh takes on the characters.

I so wanted to pick Venditti and Barrow’s Freedom Fighters, but its final issue is in 2020. And I could pick Doomsday Clock, which I did enjoy, but the extreme delay in wrapping up the story has soured me on it. So, I nominate Electric Warriors by Steve Orlando and Travel Foreman. It is a very cool concept set in the distant future with lots of political intrigue and gladiator action. Once again Orlando pulls an obscure character and concept from DC’s past and gives it a fresh coat of paint. Foreman’s character and costume design is outstanding, as well.

Tales of the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis. What’s not to like in an alternate version of a favorite crisis? Not the favorite, but close.

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
    Superman reveals his identity in Superman #18.

Lost in the Multiverse – Young Justice. I can’t think of a more fun read than this team tumbling through the multiverse, randomly landing on alternate earths.

Hawkman still does it for me. It is at the top of my read pile every month.

BEST WRITER
    I have already lauded Bendis for much of his work in 2019, but I am so happy to read Lois Lane by Greg Rucka that I would be remiss not to nominate him for it.

BEST ARTIST
    Jamal Campbell. Naomi, Far Sector…’nuff said!

BEST WRITER/ARTIST

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Jordie Bellaire continues to amaze. Just keeping track of all the costumes in the Legion of Super-heroes is daunting enough, but everything she does seems to shine.

BEST LETTERER

N.K. Jemisin has already made her mark on the world of science fiction, but she is new to comics. Her creation of Far Sector, and its lead character, Green Lantern Sojourner "Jo" Mullein, remind me what I like most about space opera.
  • Just a heads up that we are extending the deadline a week. You'll have until February 16th at 11:59pm EST to get your submissions in!

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited February 2020

I want to put in a ballot, but I just haven’t read enough new comics in the last year. I’d be voting for mainly Aaron’s Thor run, King’s Batman run and trying to find a category where I could vote for manga Vinland Saga.

• Greetings, Geeks!!

Looooooongtime listener, first time contributor!! I briefly met Murd years ago at New York ComicCon, when we traded stories about his Master's Thesis (which I have since read and enjoyed thoroughly) and my then-in-progress doctoral dissertation, both on comics. I am proud to say that I completed the dissertation and graduated in 2018, and I hope to do more scholarly work in the comics field in the years to come. Your podcast is a constant inspiration, especially the in-depth spotlight episodes, in which primarily Chris & Murd approach comics history and culture from an academic standpoint. And with that out of the way, here are my nominees:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2019) – Dragonfly & Dragonfly Man (The Wrong Earth; Ahoy Comics)
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2019) – Thomas Wayne Batman (Batman; DC Comics)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2019) – Die (Image Comics)
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2019) – House of X/Powers of X (Marvel Comics)
    BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT – The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #50 (Marvel Comics)
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT – Superman reveals his secret identity (Superman #18; DC Comics)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) – The Unstoppable Wasp: Unlimited; Marvel Comics (Nadia struggles with bipolar disorder & Shay comes out to her mom)
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT – Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me (First Second)
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2019) – The Immortal Hulk (Marvel Comics)
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) – They Called Us Enemy (Top Shelf)
    BEST WRITER – Al Ewing (The Immortal Hulk; Marvel Comics)
    BEST ARTIST – Stepan Sejic (Sunstone; Image Comics & Harleen; DC Comics)
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Ngozi Ukazu (Check, Please!; First Second)
    BEST COLOR ARTIST – Marte Gracia (House of X/Powers of X; Marvel Comics)
    BEST LETTERER – Clayton Cowles (everything)
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2019 – Stephanie Hans (Die; Image Comics) – technically has been around as a cover artist for a while, but Die marks her foray into interior work

All the best,
    Scott Honig
    Long Island, New York
  • BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    edited February 2020
    It always helps me to read what others here nominate, so I'll post some picks too :smile:
    Tho I guess I'll have to narrow the first category down to one *or* the other? HALP!

Naomi & Young Justice (Just met these kids last year and already I'll follow them anywhere they take me!)

The DCeasedU’s deceased superheroes (Just… terrifying)

Second Coming (Relevant, educational, smart... and entertaining af.)

DCeased (Just edged out my beloved Batman: Universe, but I had to go DCeased. Taylor’s created another pure-gold DCU dark Elseworld franchise)

Superman: Up in the Sky #6 (Ladies and gentlemen… THIS is Superman.)

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
    Superman reveals his secret identity (Am fascinated by it, and fascinated to see if Bendis can make me like it.)

The DCeasedU's heroes must survive Darkseid’s Anti-Life social media zombie virus! (aka, Instagram)

Wonder Twins (Wonder Twins, a must-read?? LOL Yup. Mark Russell and Stephen Byrne did that.)

Batman (King was unafraid to take big chances with story and format. Even when it didn’t work for me it gripped me, and it’s what all my friends were talking about all through the year.)

Philip K. Dick - A Comics Biography (Have loved the late Philip Dick's work since my teens, and this book really made me feel closer to him.)

BEST WRITER
    Tom Taylor (For his brilliant DCeased, among other work.)

BEST ARTIST
    Nick Derington (I wish his Batman: Universe were an ongoing! Beautiful artwork, he struck the perfect tone for Bendis' thrill-ride through the DCU. Physically pains me that I can't nominate Andy Kubert too, for his awesome Superman: Up in the Sky)

BEST WRITER/ARTIST
    Matt Wagner (The master came back with Grendel: Devil’s Odyssey, and it was impressive from page 1. I even sent an email to its letter column lol)

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Brad Anderson (Superman: Up in the Sky could've been an overly dark book both in story and setting, but Anderson's talents helped keep it youthful and adventurous.)

BEST LETTERER
    Clayton Cowles (A living lettering legend!)

Riley Rossmo! (Yeah I know he debuted years ago but he didn't get on MY radar until last year, and I think a lot of people feel that too. I need more of him, asap!)
  • JaceJace Posts: 3
    OK here are my picks!

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM - Naomi - Namoi #1: Brian Michael Bendis, David F Walker, Jamal Campbell & Josh Reed from DC Comics My thought here is just how excited so many people were about Naomi's debut, Issue #1 was burning up the secondary market and Naomi is just a fun character that ticked a lot of boxes that can help bring in new readers.

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM - The Grim Knight - The Batman Who Laughs - The Grim Knight #1: Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Eduardo Risso, Dave Stewart & Sal Cipriano from DC Comics A fascinating character in the vein of the wonderful What If stories from yesteryear

BEST NEW COMIC - Die - Kieron Gillen, Stephanie Hans & Clayton Cowles from Image Comics Technically issue #1 came out Dec of 2018, but I couldn't picj in then based on only one issue though I considered it. Subsequent issues have not disappointed and this is a book that is very relatable and is a must-read

BEST LIMITED SERIES - The Life and Death of Toyo Harada #1-6 - Josh Dysart, CAFU, Mico Suayan, Butch Guice, Adam Polina, Kano, Diego Yapur & Doug Braithwaite Valiant Entertainment The conclusion to the epic story Dysart has been weaving with one of the most complex, underrated and interesting "villains" in comics. Dysart's Harada is worthy of significant academic study as he reflects the best and worst of humanity.

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT - Justice League Annual #1- Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Daniel Sampere, Juan Albarran, Adriano Lucas, Tom Napolitano Perfect exaple of the "stakes" Snyder and company have brought to Justice League, these stories matter to the future of the DCU

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Clark Reveals he's Superman to Perry White - Superman #18: Brian Michael Bendis, Ivan Reis, Joe Prado, Alex Sinclair & Dave Sharpe from DC Comics My feelings about Bendis on Superman are mixed at best, but this felt like a very "Superman" moment, that is to say it felt human.

BEST STORYLINE: House of X/Powers of X/Dawn of X - Jonathan Hickman, R.B. Silva & various from Marvel Comics Hickman has brought the X-Men back to where they belong 'nuff said.

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - High Level - Rob Sheridan, Barnaby Bagenda, Roulo Fajardo Jr & Nate Piekos from Vertigo (DC Comcis) Not enough people talkign aobut or reading this wonderful tale form a first time writer, some classic sci-fi ideas infused with wonderful charm.

BEST ONGOING COMIC - Gideon Falls - Jeff Lemire, Andrea Sorrentino, Dave Stewart & Steve Wands from Image Comics Creepiest comic ever and soon to be a TV show, a masterpiece of the medium

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM - Six Days The Incredible Story of D-Day's Lost Chapter - Robert Venditti, Kevin Maurer, Andrea Mutti, Lee Loughridge & Clayton Cowles The fact this is based on a true story and one of Venditti's relatives was a part of the story makes this only more poignant and tragic.

BEST WRITER - Scott Snyder for Justice League from DC Comics See above comment about Justice League Annual #1

BEST ARTIST - Liam Sharp for Green Lantern Stunning work from an incredible artist who is doing the best work of his career and he thinks so too!

BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Leeanne Krecic for Let's Play from WEBTOON Not enough traditional comics readers are aware of the treasures to be found on WEBTOON and Let's Play by Leeanne is one of the best

BEST COLOR ARTIST - Adriano Lucas for Freedom Fighter's & Justice League Annual #1  Adriano's work is elevating these two stories to incredible heights

BEST LETTERER - Sal Cipriano for The Batman Who Laughs from DC Comics Cipriano's work helps the whole comic have a suitably creepy feel.

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2019  - Jamal Campbell for Namoi and Far Sector from DC Comics Campbell has always been talented and now people are learning his name, well deserved.