Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The One that Got Away

Hello, all,

I hope you all are safe and sound. Thought I'd start a new topic just to pass some time. What is your comic "One that got away"? That issue or autograph or original art that you passed on and sorely wish you hadn't.

For me it was a Jack Kirby Thor page, issue 152 page 2, fighting the Destroyer. I had it in my hands long before the MCU even started. I could have afforded it, but it would have been a lot for me. Now it's probably ten times what I would have paid then, if you could even find it. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Comments

• I can't think of any art or issues. Maybe the one time I saw Kirby from a distance in the early 90s at San Diego but never got to talk to him. There was always a group around him.
  • FROM HELL original art. This is my all-time favorite graphic novel, and after publication, Chris Staros at Top Shelf was acting on behalf of Eddie Campbell to sell the original pages. Each page was priced at $150 on the top shelf site. I contacted Staros about whether he was bringing pages to a (then) upcoming convention that I was attending -- this had to be early 2000s. He said he would have them (there were roughly a dozen left, at that time), and I had an idea of picking one up. But Staros forgot them, which led me to the realization that, at the time, I didn't really have the extra money to spend on it.

Now, if you're lucky, you can find a page for sale online, but the lowest I've seen them going was $1200. So, far out of reach at this point. *sigh*

• phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    In high school (1978) I bought a coverless copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 for $25. I thought I’d be able to Frankenstein a cover from somewhere someday. That never happened. What I didn’t buy that day was a coverless copy of Fantastic Four #1- also priced at $25. It was gone when I went back the next week.

I sold AF #15 for $500 when I sold off my collection.
  • ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256
    One more for me. There was a Bill Sienkiewicz watercolor on his old representative's site for YEARS. It was just a bit out of my price range, but one day the site had a sale, and I immediately sent in to get the painting. It had sold the day before.

I don't even have a jpg of it, but if anyone knows where "Jazz in the Courtyard" is, I'd love to see it again, even in jpg form.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

I've not got art, but I do have two issues.

Back in 2008 I started buying bronze age comics, during the financial crisis you could get decent prices on key issues. I passed numerous times on "vf" Daredevil 168 & FF #52 for less than $45 a piece. DD #168 is the only miller DD not in my collection.