Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

How is everyone doing this week?

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Hunkered down in my office (new space for me - nice to be able to have someplace where I can toss on some tunes and really roll) writing proposals while trying to make sure that dad's treatment occurs according to previous planning sessions. He's making great progress with PT/OT. A little worried that he's going too fast there and will be out of treatment before they finish the first round of chemo... would really like for him to be under their roof for that as a just in case. We've had too much excitement these last eight plus weeks.

Otherwise, getting caught up on podcasts - I slipped a little on Legion of Substitute Podcasters and a lot on Only the Valiant. Almost caught up on Legion.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    It dawned on me late last night that if any of you out there have an LCS (or many Comic shops), you might want to check up on what their plans are for Free Comic Book Day (or if they have any at all).

Other than that, not too much else has changed (other than not having a movie to review until Trolls 2 on April 10). I already pretty socially distant, to begin with, I work a job with little to no human interaction, and the only times I go out is for things like chores or visiting my father on Tuesdays (where we normally go out, not this week) & Sundays.

@hauberk that's good to hear about your dad. I know there is still a lot going on, but man having positive momentum is awesome.

@RedRight88 gotta keep up with the old man. Have you watched any of the NWA Power?

I've been doing okay. Just busy with work and kids, and letting life keep on rolling. It's just been quite here

mwhitt80 said:

@hauberk that's good to hear about your dad. I know there is still a lot going on, but man having positive momentum is awesome.

@RedRight88 gotta keep up with the old man. Have you watched any of the NWA Power?

I've been doing okay. Just busy with work and kids, and letting life keep on rolling. It's just been quite here

I've been working on the Invincible script & setting up some filler reviews to try and please the YouTube algorithm. I do want to watch NWA, but sometimes time gets away.

I do plan on reviewing AEW's Blood & Guts match (their version of War Games) if it still goes down.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    It’s the same old, same old for me. I typically go most of the day without coming into close contact with anyone anyway, so I’ve had to change very little of my routine.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    After having had to install it three days in a row on the same machine I can safely say I hate Windows 10 and I am never building another PC again in my life.

So how is everyone other than @Brack doing?

I have had to deal with a bat getting into my house over the last four days (no, not the billionaire playboy kind, an actual bat). I managed to finally get it out because for some reason it tried to take refuge in my printer's paper tray. I closed the tray, disconnected the printer, and ran the thing outside to set the bat free.
    A bat got in our house a couple of summers ago. I sealed off the doors to the room (our bedroom), opened both the windows and took the screens out, and the bat just flew around in circles for about 45 minutes. Whenever it landed somewhere, I'd poke at it with something and scare it back into the air, using one of the screens as a shield. I thought it would be able to tell the windows were open, and it would sometimes look like it was heading that way, but would always veer off at the last second. Eventually I was able to use my screen to trap it in a corner next to one of the windows, and it finally realized it could fly out the damn thing. That is to say, it bounced off the screen and rebounded out of the window. My wife hid under the covers the whole time.

Who’s next?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @RedRight88 , @nweathington : Will you now fight crime together? Or separately?

I don't know who's who, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened.

Everybody surviving the corona shutdown okay? Staying in good headspaces? Reading plenty of comics? Getting fresh air and sunshine regularly?

mwhitt80 said:

How I imagine @RedRight88 and @nweathington handled their bat situations.

Pretty much, just substitute a bucket and pillowcase for the fishing net and tennis racket.

I had gloves and my trusty screen/shield but not much else, except a flyswatter or something like that to poke at it when it tried to land on the wall (log cabin). Wasn’t trying to do anything except get it out the window as quickly as possible.

I love you guys

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    mwhitt80 said:

Everybody surviving the corona shutdown okay? Staying in good headspaces? Reading plenty of comics? Getting fresh air and sunshine regularly?

We're doing okay here. I'm blessed to be able to work from home, and I'm trying to stay isolated and quarantined. Much easier to do when there's riots going on downtown where your office is and they're pretty much telling you to stay home.

On the lighter side, my wife and I have taken advantage of her puppet-making skills (and being stuck in a house together for 2+ months) and created something unique...a podcast about comics! Whoever heard of such a thing, right?!? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3XsLiN6wI&t=137s

We're going to do new episodes every two weeks (a new one should post TONIGHT in fact!). We take a look at the "weird" side of funnybooks (and other pop culture items as time permits). Join us for episode I - Dynamite Joe - and if you like it, subscribe so you don't miss our take on one of my favorite books - Alpha Flight #6. :)

• A bat got in our house a couple of summers ago. I sealed off the doors to the room (our bedroom), opened both the windows and took the screens out, and the bat just flew around in circles for about 45 minutes. Whenever it landed somewhere, I'd poke at it with something and scare it back into the air, using one of the screens as a shield. I thought it would be able to tell the windows were open, and it would sometimes look like it was heading that way, but would always veer off at the last second. Eventually I was able to use my screen to trap it in a corner next to one of the windows, and it finally realized it could fly out the damn thing. That is to say, it bounced off the screen and rebounded out of the window. My wife hid under the covers the whole time.

Who’s next?

IT WAS AN OMEN.
  • Torchsong said:

mwhitt80 said:

We're doing okay here. I'm blessed to be able to work from home, and I'm trying to stay isolated and quarantined. Much easier to do when there's riots going on downtown where your office is and they're pretty much telling you to stay home.

On the lighter side, my wife and I have taken advantage of her puppet-making skills (and being stuck in a house together for 2+ months) and created something unique...a podcast about comics! Whoever heard of such a thing, right?!? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B3XsLiN6wI&t=137s

We're going to do new episodes every two weeks (a new one should post TONIGHT in fact!). We take a look at the "weird" side of funnybooks (and other pop culture items as time permits). Join us for episode I - Dynamite Joe - and if you like it, subscribe so you don't miss our take on one of my favorite books - Alpha Flight #6. :)

LOVED IT. Subscribed.. Love the "Masterpiece Theater" vibe.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Tonebone said:

LOVED IT. Subscribed.. Love the "Masterpiece Theater" vibe.

Thank you! We modeled him after James Lipton...right before he died. :(

Boys I turned 40 last Friday.

Most of my 30s were pretty much a mixed bag of rollercoaster drops and loopity-loops. Here's to hoping that my 40s are better decade.

More good times than hard.

In case you were wondering. I got a book from my wife.

Cash money and Amazon gift cards from everyone else. Both were converted into vinyl.

mwhitt80 said:

Boys I turned 40 last Friday.

Most of my 30s were pretty much a mixed bag of rollercoaster drops and loopity-loops. Here's to hoping that my 40s are better decade.

More good times than hard.

I'm hitting the big 4-0 later this year...have no idea exactly what I'll be able to do when it happens.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Feeling pretty bummed right now about the mass migration from here to the Facebook page. For a lot of reasons, including trying to retain some of what are apparently far too optimistic impressions of far too many friends and family, I've dumped it.

Overall, I feel emotionally healthier for it, but far more disconnected from my comics tribe.

I miss the lively forums; I miss being able to keep up with all the guys. Most of us have been together for a decade. I love the cgs forums; cutting up with you guys gave me a little normal time when I lost my father in law and son. We need to do a live chat with each other or something fun to catch up or actually have a real conversation

I do think that the Facebook page has connected some long lost listeners and brought some life back into the community, but it's not the forums.