Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1774 Talkback - Comic Talk

Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
edited August 2020 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The Geeks take time to reflect and speculate on DC's withdrawal from Diamond Comic Distributors. Our podcast progenitor, Bryan Deemer, pops in to talk about what he's been reading, to stress the virtues of domestic decluttering, and to reopen the standard 'print vs. digital' debate. We take a look at this year's Eisner Awards nominees. And the beat goes on! (1:50:48)

Listen here.

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Here's the thing, Diamond is still a monopoly as far as stores are concerned. Stores can't get Marvel or indy books from anyone else. All we have at this point is the potential for them to no longer be a monopoly, assuming DCBS and Midtown won't be limited to distributing only DC comics.

@brydeemer, I've got not one, but two of those motorcycle revver jackasses who live on the street right behind us who do the all-hours BS—brothers—so I feel your pain.

Funny you should specify North Carolina, @i_am_scifi, as your example of stores viewing DCBS/Lunar as competition. As of this writing (July 2), my LCS owner has not yet been able to get an account with Midtown/UCS. He's not really excited about getting his comics from another shop, but he'd rather wait it out for them to get up to speed than go with DCBS/Lunar, because he's viewed DCBS as a competitor for several years. And he’s not one of those dirtbag owners who can't take a little competition. He runs a great shop in most regards, and I'm proud to have worked there for him long, long ago. He’s been there since the mid-’80s and has seen many other shops in the area come and go. He just doesn't see working with DCBS as being beneficial for him in the long run.

I have watched Beastars, and I find it really interesting, although somewhat cringy in places. The animation is fantastic, the voice acting is quite good, but don’t let the girls watch it with you, Bryan.