Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    mwhitt80 said:

I miss the lively forums; I miss being able to keep up with all the guys. Most of us have been together for a decade. I love the cgs forums; cutting up with you guys gave me a little normal time when I lost my father in law and son. We need to do a live chat with each other or something fun to catch up or actually have a real conversation

I do think that the Facebook page has connected some long lost listeners and brought some life back into the community, but it's not the forums.

I'm definitely glad that it's working to reconnect users. It's just unfortunate that it's located in the middle of Mos Eisley.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Tonebone said:

A bat got in our house a couple of summers ago. I sealed off the doors to the room (our bedroom), opened both the windows and took the screens out, and the bat just flew around in circles for about 45 minutes. Whenever it landed somewhere, I'd poke at it with something and scare it back into the air, using one of the screens as a shield. I thought it would be able to tell the windows were open, and it would sometimes look like it was heading that way, but would always veer off at the last second. Eventually I was able to use my screen to trap it in a corner next to one of the windows, and it finally realized it could fly out the damn thing. That is to say, it bounced off the screen and rebounded out of the window. My wife hid under the covers the whole time.

Who’s next?

IT WAS AN OMEN.
    Nah, just a bad night. Did I mention it started a little after 5 a.m.? The sun rose towards the end of my Keystone Kop routine of chasing the bat around. Couldn't really get back to sleep after that.

mwhitt80 said:

Boys I turned 40 last Friday.

Most of my 30s were pretty much a mixed bag of rollercoaster drops and loopity-loops. Here's to hoping that my 40s are better decade.

More good times than hard.

I'm hitting the big 4-0 later this year...have no idea exactly what I'll be able to do when it happens.
    You whipper-snappers. I turned 50 last month, and had my 25th wedding anniversary back in April. No parties for either, obviously. In fact, my wife had to work a double-shift on my birthday, so I barely saw her even. I celebrated with a take-out cheesesteak and onion rings.

In the end, 25, 40, and 50 are just numbers. I mean, our bodies typically go through more changes around the age of 35 than 40. Likewise, 45 more so than 50. And I'm not one who likes to make a big deal about stuff like that anyway, but it would have been nice to at least go out to my favorite seafood place (something I typically only do on my birthday, since I drastically cut back on fried food several years ago). Oh, well. Easy come, easy go.
    hauberk said:

Feeling pretty bummed right now about the mass migration from here to the Facebook page. For a lot of reasons, including trying to retain some of what are apparently far too optimistic impressions of far too many friends and family, I've dumped it.

Overall, I feel emotionally healthier for it, but far more disconnected from my comics tribe.

I'm pretty much with you. I haven't completely dumped Facebook, but for the past three or so years, I've often gone more than a month or two in between visits to the site. I’ve checked in on the FB group a few times, but I think I've only posted once.
    mwhitt80 said:

I do think that the Facebook page has connected some long lost listeners and brought some life back into the community, but it's not the forums.

Bingo.
  • mwhitt80 said:

Boys I turned 40 last Friday.

Most of my 30s were pretty much a mixed bag of rollercoaster drops and loopity-loops. Here's to hoping that my 40s are better decade.

More good times than hard.

Happy Birthday! I just turned 52 (read in Pants' voice) last week.
  • hauberk said:

Feeling pretty bummed right now about the mass migration from here to the Facebook page. For a lot of reasons, including trying to retain some of what are apparently far too optimistic impressions of far too many friends and family, I've dumped it.

Overall, I feel emotionally healthier for it, but far more disconnected from my comics tribe.

Well, if it's all moving over to Facebook, I'll say my goodbyes now. Never using facebook. It's been swell.
    Tonebone said:

hauberk said:

Well, if it's all moving over to Facebook, I'll say my goodbyes now. Never using facebook. It's been swell.
    I don't know that it's an intentional total move, but it seems like there are about 4 of us here with any regularity.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Thanks @Tonebone .

So far my 40s have been a little rough.

I've had some sort of stomach/gallbladder issue and I spent last week like a pregnant woman with morning sickness. I'm on some meds right now, but the tummy has been uneasy even with them

• mwhitt80 said:

Thanks @Tonebone .

So far my 40s have been a little rough.

I've had some sort of stomach/gallbladder issue and I spent last week like a pregnant woman with morning sickness. I'm on some meds right now, but the tummy has been uneasy even with them

Man, that IS rough. Hope things get better! Soon!

Happy fathers day fellas. I hope it was really good.

Miss you guys and hope you have a great rest of the month

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    So, I was scrolling through the Action/Adventure Movie Section on Disney+ & noticed that they have all the Muppet Movies except The Great Muppet Caper in that section (Muppets take Manhatten doesn't count because Disney doesn't have the rights to it).

Now, I know that you can find the movie in other sections. But, wouldn't the term Caper being in the title denote some form of Action and/or Adventure?

It's not the only one either; Bride of Boogedy is in Action/Adventure, but the prequel Mr. Boogedy isn't.

Tell me something good.

On Saturday I took my daughter out kayaking on our new kayak. We had a great time.

edited July 2020
    Something good:

Yesterday I went to my comic shop and bought new comics for the first time since March.
    New Image Humble Bundle dropped. From my perspective, the it's worth full price just for Black Science.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Something Good:

They just announced volume one of the DC Who's Who Omnibus.

Sure, you can get the singles, but at 50 (51 this month) I'm looking forward to a larger page and bigger type. :D

Man my phone that my son dunked in coffee 7 weeks ago decided to start working again.

I'm back boys.

So how has everyone been?

I continue to primarily work from home, but my team is starting to get busier, so that's good. My wife has to report back for in person teaching starting on Monday, we're not terribly thrilled about that. She teaches in a rural school in a pretty conservative area. I'm anticipating that mask discipline is going to be lacking.
    I've been watching a lot of Hockey.
    hauberk said:

I continue to primarily work from home, but my team is starting to get busier, so that's good. My wife has to report back for in person teaching starting on Monday, we're not terribly thrilled about that. She teaches in a rural school in a pretty conservative area. I'm anticipating that mask discipline is going to be lacking.

Oof. My daughter just started back to school yesterday, but they'll be doing online-only, keep-your-butt-at-home learning for at least the first nine weeks. If/when they do go back after that, it will likely be on an alternating weekly schedule—half the kids in person with the rest online-only one week, then vice versa, in order to have a modicum of social distancing.

I've watched a few games, but my Caps are banged up and not playing well, and the local Canes aren't faring much better, so my NHL season may be ending pretty soon.

hauberk said:

Oof. My daughter just started back to school yesterday, but they'll be doing online-only, keep-your-butt-at-home learning for at least the first nine weeks. If/when they do go back after that, it will likely be on an alternating weekly schedule—half the kids in person with the rest online-only one week, then vice versa, in order to have a modicum of social distancing.

I've watched a few games, but my Caps are banged up and not playing well, and the local Canes aren't faring much better, so my NHL season may be ending pretty soon.
    Yep it's not a good scenario. Unfortunately, the infrastructure just isn't there for a lot of students in rural districts to allow for any kind of decent online option - if internet is available at all, it's frequently satellite based and so the upload/download speeds are all over the board. In a lot of cases, even if it's available, with the poverty rates, it's not always affordable. My daughters district, which is a combination rural/suburban district had a pretty solid concept for the close of last year - they were managing food distributions throughout the district and loaded hotspots and other equipment so that students were able to download instructional materials from the food distribution points. Not as good as live, but far better than printing and mailing packets.
    hauberk said:

Yep it's not a good scenario. Unfortunately, the infrastructure just isn't there for a lot of students in rural districts to allow for any kind of decent online option - if internet is available at all, it's frequently satellite based and so the upload/download speeds are all over the board. In a lot of cases, even if it's available, with the poverty rates, it's not always affordable. My daughters district, which is a combination rural/suburban district had a pretty solid concept for the close of last year - they were managing food distributions throughout the district and loaded hotspots and other equipment so that students were able to download instructional materials from the food distribution points. Not as good as live, but far better than printing and mailing packets.

They struggled with infrastructure here too, back in the spring. They've worked most of that out now, thankfully, using the buses to, as in your area, distribute food and provide hotspots to students who need it. Their computer system has some kinks to work out still, but it's been smoother than I expected for the first week.

Our school district is online until September.

My wife has been homeschooling since my daughter started school and so it's not been a problem for us. When schools shutdown in April, it meant more math for Abigail. This year is going to be interesting, the little boy turns 3 next month and has started Pre-K and Abigail is going into first grade.

Here are some of my intial thoughts on Madden 21...I know I am in the extreme minority.

https://youtu.be/xt96i1s6EG0

In case you're wondering...Yes, my brother is an Arizona Cardinals fan. I have no idea if he remembers Timm Rosenbach at all, I just like making the ost obscure reference I can.
    In honor of last night's Brocos/Titans game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvLjE8ZWl8
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Hiya folks. Hope everyone is staying safe!

A decent bit has happened since I’ve been away.

Working for Amazon. Caught corona. Built a PC. I Now own a copy of “the Night Gwen Stacy Died”, signed by Stan Lee.

A decent bit has happened since I’ve been away.

Working for Amazon. Caught corona. Built a PC. I Now own a copy of “the Night Gwen Stacy Died”, signed by Stan Lee.

There's no one reaction that works with that update. Overall, congratulations it seems like a win. Hopefully, the corona was mild with no lasting effects. A friend from school, who is/was a singer/dancer is having issues with a burning sensation in his lungs 3+ months after recovery and is on blood thinners for an unknown amount of time due to clotting issues.

Thanks! Hope your friend gets better soon.

My symptoms - nausea, dizziness, lethargy, lack of appetite, loss of sense of smell and taste. The Second to worst part of it was this haze/fog/numbness. It was hard to even enjoy stuff like tv and comics. I was worried it was a sort of depression (something I don’t have a familiarity with), but later found out it was natural for some of us infected with corona. So weird.

The actual worst thing was accidentally infecting my folks. They’re fine now, though. (This was all in March)

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @DoctorDoom That is a lot. Glad you and your folks are now on the other side of all that.