Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

We've been reading big books for Abigail since she was 2. So I've had to do voices for characters for a really long time.

You can't have a conversation with dorthy and the tin man sound the same because she has no idea what's happening. If dorthy has a consistent voice and tin man has a different consistent voice then she at least knows 'ohh the tin man and dorthy are talking'

The difference is she is bigger now so our reading went from 1-3 pages to chapters, and with comics the only written parts are talking, sound effects and thought bubbles so there's no break.

• All I’m saying is if/when you get to Harry Potter, be careful how gruff you make Hagrid’s voice, because he’s got hella long monologues in a couple of the books. 😀

I reread Dark Empire 1 over the weekend.

I remember how excited I was when that comic came out. I was 11 or 12 and loved those movies, and dark empire blew me away.

It's still entertaining.

I have not read it but I giggled like a middle schooler when I saw the current spider man story arc is : Spiderman Curse of the ManThing.

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'm painfully behind on my reading. I've been enjoying the Bladerunner book from Titan (Mead covers only). I think it does a competent job of sliding into the story but I do feel like it doesn't really achieve the aesthetic of the original.

Beyond that, I just wrapped up the last issue of the Many Deaths of Vic Sage - really enjoyed it. Mixed feelings about the format - happy that it had the extra page size to let the art breathe, unhappy that I have to find a place to keep them.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hit a LCS cheap bins a week ago. Got almost a full run of Dungeoneers from SilverWolf. First 2 issues are a blast. This isn't the normal 80 B/W era someone's failed D&D campaign made into a comic. This is actually well done and fairly funny.
  • dubbat138 said:

Hit a LCS cheap bins a week ago. Got almost a full run of Dungeoneers from SilverWolf. First 2 issues are a blast. This isn't the normal 80 B/W era someone's failed D&D campaign made into a comic. This is actually well done and fairly funny.

Never heard of it before now. Looked it up, and Tim Foster, the original artist, sounds like an interesting guy. He was friends with Sam Kieth and Tim Vigil but quit comics almost as soon as he got in, and started doing artwork for Tower Records instead.
  • Uncanny X-men masterworks vol3. First time reading it.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

Jonna and the Unpossible Monsters #1 was every bit as fun a book as I was expecting. I may be a bit biased, being both a fan and acquaintance of the authors (Chris & Laura Samnee), but this was the book I was most looking forward to reading last year before COVID shut everything down. (The book was originally solicited in the April 2020 Previews catalog.) And, happily, nearly a year later than first planned, it didn't disappoint.

I'm not going to go much into it here — I imagine I'll talk about it in this week's Forum Meet — but I'll just say it's an all-ages friendly book with kid protagonists and giant monsters, living in a world where human society seems to have devolved/destabilized due to the long-term presence of said monsters. Being aimed at a slightly younger audience, Chris gets to let his cartoonier side out, which I love. The monsters (so far) look like they would have fit right at home in a ’60s Hanna-Barbera sci-fi cartoon.

I gotta say, it's kind of filling the void Leave it to Chance left in me that's been sitting empty for all the years since it ended, and that feels nice. Anyway, go read the thing for yourself. It's a good book.

• So from this time last week to today I have completely read usagi yojimbo saga legends, joker war, and tmnt last ronin 1&2.

Still reading The Question. It's still good

@mwhitt80 Will you roll on through to the Many Deaths of Vic Sage? I quite liked it, but have heard some mixed reviews.

I have it, read the first issue and enjoyed it. I really need to sit down and read the whole thing

My thoughts on Many Deaths are a bit mixed in and of themselves. Still need to read the final issue though.

It's definitely a twist for Question but, for me, the return to Cowan on Question was well worth it. I feel like we may have touched on this during one of last online meetings.

We did indeed.

edited March 2021

Speaking of we have one next week @hauberk

• BrackBrack Posts: 868

Really enjoyed issue 1 of Way of X, the comic about Nightcrawler's search for a mutant religion, the societal impact of immortality and the dirty little secret Xavier & Magneto are keeping from everyone.

And talking of dirty little secrets Magneto is keeping from everyone, SWORD #5 has a fun take down of Fabian Cortez's entitlement, while making hypocrites of those taking him to task for wanting to kill humans. Presumably this is where the seeds of SWORD clashing with The Guardians of Galaxy is being planted.

Ohh boy I'm not sure where to post this retro review.

In 2006 I was introduced to a young writer named Matt Fraction. I picked up his Casanova and loved it. I thought it was cool and Matt was going to be big time.

I read Casanova 1-7 tonight (my original copies)... Boy is that comic a load of nonsense wrapped in psuedo intelligence. I did enjoy looking at the book.

PS I'm blaming @nweathington for making me want to go back and re-read the self proclaimed futurists of 2005 & 2006. Warren Ellis and Bendis are on my list.

Fun fact: Matt grew up within walking distance of the comic shop I worked at/still shop at. Of course, I didn't meet him until long after he'd moved away/shortly after he started working for Marvel.

I still think Casanova is a damn fine comic. Yeah, there's a load of nonsense, but you can say that about most comics, the majority of which aren’t as fun and exciting as Casanova. But I wholeheartedly agree that the star of that show is Ba and Moon’s amazing artwork.

Okay....

I don't know what is going on, but I have been reading the funny books.

My son has rediscovered my omnibus volumes. He walks by the shelves and notices my shelf with the Spiderman and grabs a omnibus.This time he got Roger stern Spiderman. He muscled it up on the couch and looked at pictures for 30 minutes.

I tell this story because I started reading the Roger stern Omnibus the other day. I like it

• BryanBryan Posts: 207

I just read the 3rd issue of Daniel Warren Johnson’s current Beta Ray Bill miniseries. I have a feeling I know where this story is going, but the illustration is just so good, and the emotion and humanity that DWJ infuses Bill with are so spot on, that I just don’t care. And who knows, maybe the story will surprise me. Highly recommended.

I'm not the world's biggest Spiderman fan, but a really good Spiderman comic is hard to beat.

If I were to give marvel characters a power ranking on stories I've read vs. enjoyed. Spiderman is #1 by a wide margin.

Read a good piece of the first volume of Monstress. It's beautifully rendered but continues to have the same issue that I so frequently have with Manga - I don't want or need the absurdist / cutesy elements. I can potentially accept the fox girl and the maybe the advisor cat, but the cutesy scholar cat lessons and the one-eyed samurai (even the way he is rendered makes me feel like he's from a fantasy prequel to Laser Cats and that Andy Samberg is jut off screen) are a step too far for me.

Gieger #2 - Digging Geoff Johns building his own world. I'm not holding my breath regarding how long this will stay on schedule given that it's him plus Franks, but it's a cool concept and beautifully and horrifically rendered.

Compass #1 - Picked it up purely on the Greg Rucka Presents and was not disappointed. I had no idea of the subject matter or the fact that elements of the story are drawn from history. Looking forward to learning more of the House of Wisdom and maybe perusing some of the books that they reference in the back matter.

Old Guard: Tales Through Time #2 - I really loved the concept of the Old Guard. While this isn't the original creative team, it is very nice little vignettes. If I were to elevator pitch Old Guard, it would be Seal Team Highlander. This extends nicely into that analogy with each vignette being one of the flashbacks.

edited July 2021

While I was rearranging the comics closet I found the box of DC prestige books. I've not read them all so...

Superman Kal prestige book written by Dave gibbons and art by Jose lous Garcia Lopez

What if baby Superman landed in midieval England and Luther was an evil Baron? The prestige books dc created we're either really good or interestingly flawed. Superman Kal falls in the later. It's not bad; it's just not fantastic either.

But that art, though. Worth the price of admission all by itself.

Overall, the prestige Elseworlds books were, for me one of the bright spots in that era. There were others, but I really dug the notion.

The art was really good in Superman Kal.

I love the prestige books; I try to get as many as I can. And like I said they are either really good or really interesting and flawed. It is hard to find a really bad one (even Mite Fall which is a bad book tried).

I discovered I have Gotham by Gaslight and it's follow up story in the box. This reorganizing is bringing all kinds of fun finds to the front.

The follow up was Master of the Future, I believe? I recall really enjoying Holy Terror and Superman: Speeding Bullets.

Spider man talk!

I just finished what I thought were the last comics leading into sinister war.

The good. Giant sized king's ransom, 67-69 were very solid spider man stories. There were whole two issues without dumb parts just good spider man action. There's even been a little afterwards with Doc Ock getting the band back together. Plus a fun D level bad guy I'm not sure I've seen since Todd McFarlane was pencilling David Micheline.

The ehh. Even though the last storyline was better it was very middle of the road.

The bad. So Giant sized king's ransom finished the king's ransom story, instead of finish it up in ASM. And to finish the chameleon story that I have actually been not disliking I need order Giant sized chameleon conspiracy, instead of finishing the story in ASM.