Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Questions

New here and have a question and did not see a place to ask it. If there's a spot for questions could someone please share the link? I'll gladly ask my question there. Thanks

Comments

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited January 2021

You just created a fantastic questions thread. This is now a random (mostly) comics questions thread. If you have a specific topic you want to try to dig deeper into you can always start a new topic.

Also welcome.

• Ok awesome! Thanks

Ok so I was wondering where does Amazing Spider-man 328 take place in Peter Davids Hulk? Or does it?

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I'd say it doesn't take place in David’s Hulk canon, but in terms of Marvel Comics canon writ large, it would fit in not too long before the “Countdown” storyline — if that makes sense.
  • Why would you say it does not take place in David's run? And are you referring to the storyline where hulk is supposedly dying?

Thanks for the reply.

• I have read very little hulk and I have a few amazing spider-man issues from the time period, 328 being one of them.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

Okay, so it takes place during the time when Hulk was in his Joe Fixit phase (smart and gray, not just in color but morally speaking as well), living in Vegas and taking jobs as an enforcer. This was when David retconned in Bruce Banner’s childhood abuse and the resulting Disassociative Identity Disorder.

• BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited January 2021
    According to the Supermegamonkey chronology project it would fall somewhere between Hulk 363 (the Acts of Vengeance tie-in) & 364 (the start of Countdown).

This is because the Spider-Man issue references the events of Hulk 363.

Now my turn to ask a possibly unanswerable question!

Who is Mystique taking orders from in her first appearance in her traditional character design (Ms Marvel #18)?

By the time they publish the end of this story in Marvel Superheroes #11, Mystique's motivations for attacking Carol Danvers have changed to "prevent a prediction Destiny made that Carol will kill Rogue".

In this story from Ms Marvel #16-18 she's working with Geoffrey Ballard, a villainous government agent from Claremont's Black Goliath #4.

Ballard is shown earlier in the Ms Marvel series (#9) reporting to a character codenamed "Alpha" who belongs to a "council".

The Black Goliath plot is related to The Stranger's Null Life Bomb from Silver Surfer #5, but that plot ends up getting resolved in The Champions a few months before Ballard resurfacing in Ms. Marvel.

Dang this went deep dive nerd in a hurry.

mwhitt80 said:

Dang this went deep dive nerd in a hurry.

Hey you never know when Hickman is going to bring this up and reveal that the third Brotherhood of Evil Mutants was a Leviathan plot all along.
  • Thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Sorry i cant return the favor and answer your question my x-men knowledge is very light.

edited January 2021

After research on ballard, he was working as double agent for the council at the time of the story. Later stories imply that the council is probably the leaders of the hellfire club.

So I am going to go with "Lord" is Sebastian Shaw.

This is purely based on internet research.

edited January 2021
    mwhitt80 said:

After research on ballard, he was working as double agent for the council at the time of the story. Later stories imply that the council is probably the leaders of the hellfire club.

So I am going to go with "Lord" is Sebastian Shaw.

This is purely based on internet research.

Yes it's probably the pre-Hellfire Club "Council of the Chosen". With the character Michael Rossi appearing in both books around the same time it makes sense. I wonder if Alpha was meant to be a surviving Stephen Lang given his penchant for wandering around with an A on his chest.

Of course by the time they get to those belatedly published final issues of Ms Marvel in Marvel Superheroes, it doesn't make sense. Because neither Mystique nor the Hellfire Club have the same motivations as the earlier Ms. Marvel issues. I guess Claremont recycled these then unpublished introductions months later in the X-books.

As I understand it, there's an issue of Classic X-Men that makes sense of the changes from the Council to the Hellfire Club, I wonder if there's something similar for Mystique.
    edited January 2021
    Looks like I only scratched the surface on "what was Claremont originally planning for Mystique?" theories.

Thankfully we've got X-Men Legends coming this year for in-continuity conclusions to decades old plot threads. Though I don't know if they've announced what Claremont's arc is.

I know we've got "Adam X, Third Summers Brother?" from Nicieza & Booth first. And I believe issue 3 is Louise & Walt Simonson addressing "What was up with that Celestial ship Apocalypse had?"

EDIT: Oh wait, is that Eric The Red hiding at the bottom of the cover for issue #1? This may turn out to be a topical line of thinking after all!
  • What's x-men's legends?

What's x-men's legends?

It's a new comic starting February that will deal with long outstanding plot points from the X-Books in-continuity (as opposed to Claremont's X-Men Forever alternate universe approach).

They've got Chris Claremont, Louise Simonson, Larry Hama, Peter David announced as writers, with Fabian Nicieza starting the title off with issues 1-2 about his Adam X character from X-Force.

Another question.

Lots of speculation about whether Agnes the Neighbour in Wandavision will be Agatha Harkness. However it could just as easily be a nod toward Agnes Moorhead from Bewitched.

So my question is this - was AGatha HarnkNESs's name also a nod to the Bewitched actress?
  • Agnes Waterhouse is probably the most famous witch in English history. If Lee and Kirby did any reading on the history of witches/witchcraft, they surely would have come across her name. If there was an intended reference to an Agnes, it would more likely be to her.

But the truth is probably more simple than that. Agatha is a Greek name meaning “good woman”. Harkness is one letter removed from “darkness”. Put ’em together and you have “good woman of darkness”.
  • Is it bad for your comics if you double them when bagged and bearded?

• Nah, they should be fine. I don't board my comics at all except for a few Golden and Silver Age books that need the extra support. I don't even bag them all that often, and when I do I tend to get Silver Age bags and pack story arcs all together in one bag.