Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1803 Talkback - The CGS Best of 2020 Nominations Show

i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
edited March 2021 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs

Overture, curtains, lights. This is it, the night of nights. No more rehearsing and nursing a part, we know every part by heart! Gather round as the ever-ready Master of Ceremonies Adam Murdough, along with Chris, Ian and YOU the listener, bring forth the Best of 2020 Awards Nominations Show! 2020 was a long year, but there were tons of great comic books to help take our minds off of things. Let this episode be a way to learn about some you might have missed, and others you too wish to praise. (2:47:30)

Listen here or watch it on YouTube!

Comments

• ChrisMurrinChrisMurrin Posts: 256

One of my favorite episodes every year. I'm diving in now!

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I've been a fan of Tonči Zonjić — pronounced something like TONE-chee TSON-jeek — ever since I first saw his work in one of the Mignola-verse books (I think it was a Lobster Johnson mini). Really good stuff.

Pretty sure the Pushing Daisies series never happened. I do have a copy of the preview comic though, which I got at the San Diego Comic-Con that year because Tom Fowler laid out one of the stories and Cameron Stewart penciled and inked the second.

I gotta say, this ballot was so much easier to put together than the nominee ballot. What I have so far:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2020): Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2020): n/a

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2020): Norse Mythology

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2020): Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen

BEST SINGLE ISSUE OR ONE-SHOT: Marvel Snapshots: Sub-Mariner

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: n/a

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): n/a

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: n/a

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2020): n/a

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): Pulp

BEST WRITER: Ed Brubaker

BEST ARTIST: Chris Samnee

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Mike Allred

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Matt Wilson

BEST LETTERER:

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2020:

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128

Will the full nomination list be posted?

• i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781

Yup, @Adam_Murdough should have them up sooner than later, stand by!

• DARDAR Posts: 1,128

Thank you as always

• It'll be up by the end of the day.

• JCH12JCH12 Posts: 3

Just wanted to say how much I look forward to this episode each year to get a sense of what the Geeks and other listeners have enjoyed over the past year. As a result of this year's nominations, I read the first 12 issues of Fire Power by Kirkman and the mini-series Wonder Woman: Dead Earth, both of which are excellent. I had already checked out Doom and Iron Man by Cantwell, based on recommendations by Chris (whose tastes usually mirror my own), both of which are also awesome. Thanks!

• JCH12JCH12 Posts: 3
    edited March 2021

Addendum: I also finally got around to checking out Adam's recommended Ice Cream Man, which is great modern horror. I'm currently on TPB vol. 2 and curious about the broader story arc, though I'm not sure if I'll ever eat an ice cream cone again, certainly not from a truck. Thanks, Adam!