Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A place for that most Predetermined of sports, Professional Wrestling

Comments

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

today is Terry Funk vs. Onita. This one is bananas.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Got a show in a little under 2 weeks. So spent the last few days pricing all the new stuff I got in to sell. Always try to keep the prices low and in multiples of 5,that way I dont have to keep a pile of singles.

Also hitting up a show in early June. And might hit one later in this month where BAttlezone is bringing in James Storm.

• Options
    CaptShazam_JrCaptShazam_Jr Posts: 100
    edited May 2021

My only exposure to current wrestling is listening to Jim Cornette bury it on his podcasts.

The last wrestling I watched was a couple of 1980's Memphis compliation dvds. The highlights being the 1981 Lawler vs Terry Funk feud. When I heard the promo of Terry saying Lawler was a son of a jackass and a lover of chickens, I wanted to buy a ticket on the spot.

• Options

@CaptShazam_Jr

You need to get on the group chat.

• Options

@mwhitt80 can you message me the info on how to get on the group chat?

• Options

My wife has never watched pro wrestling. She has come to hate Dusty Rhodes though because I quote & imitate him all the time. She has also learned that any mention of the word "brother" means I start cutting a Hulk Hogan promo.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

I guess the backlash was against people who actually liked WrestleMania...

Here are my thoughts on WrestleMania: Backlash.

Contains Spoilers.

• Options

You're doing the Lord's work, because I can't watch anymore

• Options

Yea even though I got Peacock I didnt watch Backlash.

Last Saturday was the latest Bayou Indie Wrestling event in town. I got every match filmed using two cameras. Then learned after the show the ring/sound system owner and ref known as DJ has struck a deal with FITE. So the event will be up on FITE hopefully soon. I gave him copies of all my footage. But can't post any full matches until a month after the pro edited with commentary version hits FITE.

Before the doors opened did two shortish vids.

From left to right...

Philip Searcy,ring announcer and other BTS work

Rey Fury-MS based Luchadore

Myself

Was suppose to do a short vid with Rey last year in October. But stuff happened.

THen "No Hoe" Libre and Ultimo Gallos opened up a recent Wrestling Crate. And Gallos tries to bargain for the Rey Fenix/Pentagon Jr bottle opener.

Once I can put up the matches I filmed i will add them. But was right at 400 people. Sold a crap pile of stuff at my table. Used part of that profit to make a big order from MyComicShop.

• Options

I love Japanese wrestling, and I recently purchased a cool item that ties into that love. I got an autographed dick Beyer Destroyer mask.

I also picked up a wrestling magazine signed by Bruno samartino. I'm not the biggest Bruno fan, but Bruno was so important to wrestling in the 60s & 70s.

• Options

I half-expected George & Adam to show up...

Here are my thoughts on NXT TakeOver: In Your House (Spoilers).

Help support the Channel on Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/sleepytime4katproductions

• Options

The theme for Hell in a Cell 2021...Thoracic trauma!

Here are my thoughts (Spoilers).

Also, we were reminded once again that Alexa Bliss is hyperfluid in her elbows...

Help support the Channel on Patreon

https://www.patreon.com/sleepytime4katproductions

• Options

@mwhitt80 I have a few signed books by wrestlers - Bob Backlund, Jimmy Valiant, and JJ Dillion.

• Options

Speaking of signed wrestling books.

I have a copy of Mat Memories by Jon Arezzi. As soon as I finish the Bruce Campbell book I am reading.

@CaptShazam_Jr what are some of your favorite wrestling books?

• Options
    edited June 2021

@mwhitt80 my favorites are the Bret Hart book, the first two Mick Foley Books, the Stan Hansen book, and the Gary Hart book.

I have not read many bad ones but the Ole Andersen book was disappointing because he intentionally skipped over the 4 Horsemen years.

Eventually I will get around to reading the Buddy Rogers book by Tim Hornbaker. I hope that one day Jim Cornette writes a book on the history of Smokey Mountain Wrestling. A book on 90’s All Japan Wrestling would also be great.

• Options

I really like the first Mick Foley book. I've enjoyed the belt books by Dick Bourne of Mid-Atlantic Gateway.

Tim Hornbacker did a trio of books I have on shelf that I need to dig into. The National Wrestling Alliance, Death of the Territories, and Capitol Revolution.

The oddest wrestling book I've read in a while is Nitro by Guy Evans. It has more to do with the inner workings of tuner networks around the merger and the business of TV than wrestling. My big takeaway was WCW wasn't a wrestling company it was just a TV show to Turner executives and that WCW was cancelled the second Turner sold regardless of the financial situation. I really recommend it.

• Options

@mwhitt - I have all those Hornbacker books. They are all good. I remember the NWA one being a little dry. I wish the territories book was bigger. There is just so much that he could have covered on the subject.

I have been looking into getting the Bourne books for a while, I just have never done it.

I have not read the Guy Evans book but I did read the Bryan Alvarez book “Death of WCW”. It is good. You get some of that “this is just a tv” show info as well. It really goes into the disastrous booking and how some of the boys in the locker room just help destroy the company.

• Options

With July 7th being the 25th anniversary of Hulk Hogan turning heel and the NWO starting, I dusted off the WWE produced 2 disc NWO collection from 2012. I was watching the broadcast live in 96 and I remember exactly where I was and who I was with. It really was shocking at the time.

I did not watch the standard revisionist history WWE documentary but I did get through all the promos & matches on disc one.

* the crowd does not what to do on those early Hall & Nash promos. It is like stunned silence.

* Luger getting knocked out early in the Bash at the Beach match looks ridiculous. Sting never touched him with the Splash and somehow just falling to the mat caused him to need to be wheeled out.

*The Brain almost/kind of spoiling Hogan’s turn before he gets to the ring - “But what side is he on!?” is just so WCW.

* It is always great to hear The American Dream on commentary.

* Watching Hogan lead a very inexperienced Giant/Big Show through a match at Hog Wild 96 is great. Lots of stalling. After the Giant dropped Hogan on his head with a rough looking back drop, Hogan basically said enough of that and the next 10 mins or so consisted of test of strength, wrist lock, arm bar, wrist lock.

* WWE removed the audio tracks of all the Bruce Buffer ring intros from the discs.

* In July 96, the NWO had 3 people. By Nov 96, it was at least up to 8 - Hogan, Hall, Nash, Bischoff, Dibiase, Vincent, Sixx, The Giant.

• Options

Bishoff, Hogan, Nash, Hall, and Sixx should have been the NWO. Then replace Sixx with Konan. The core 3 with bishoff in the JJ Dillon role and having a rotating 4 is how it should have been.

especially if the number 4 was a cruiser weight like Sixx. Then the Konan turn on his Mexican brothers that he had been extra amazing.

• Options

@mwhitt80 wikipedia says there were 50 total members of the NWO. That includes 10 people with NWO Japan for NJPW but does not include anyone in the WWE reboot.

• Options

@mwhitt80 wikipedia also has a bar graph to show how long each person was in the NWO. Outside of Hall, Nash, and Hogan, the person who was in the group the longest was Virgil/Vincent which is just great.

• Options

meat sauce money!

• Options

I just saw the news of this an hour or so ago (it happened on 12 July) but RIP Mr. Wonderful, Paul Orndorff. A great heel wrestler. He is a big part of my overall childhood wrestling watching memories.

Reading his bio, he was a legit athlete. State champ in discus, good enough college football player to get drafted pro, state arm wrestling champ. And from all the stories, It sounds like he was a true tough guy. Maybe he did not start the fight but he was always ready to finish it.

• Options

tully Blanchard vs. Mr. Wonderful.

Paul Orndorff was great.

• Options

It's not entirely WWE's fault!!!

Here are my thoughts on Money in the Bank 2021.

Contains Spoilers.

• Options

I did not watch money in the bank, but I've seen clips of John Cena's return. He's a big deal

• Options

Hit up the Battlezone show Saturday. Got in 2 hours early. Spent some time chatting with Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson. Then got to see 11 good to great matches.

• Options

@dubbat138 I have seen Ricky at Indy shows and I have seen Robert at Indy shows but I have never seen The rocking roll express live, which I feel is nearly impossible.

My kids and I watched NWA Powerrr pretty regularly before the covid break. And my kids absolutely love Ricky and Robert. they chant rock and roll and go bananas for R&R Express.

• Options

Yea I figured this might be one of my last chances to see them together. But appears they are working a pile of shows together this summer.

From what I was told by a buddy that hung out with them at the last WM in NOLA "Ricky and Robert are very different from each other. Robert wants to be back at the hotel by 9pm and in bed at 10pm. Ricky will stay up partying all night. Then sleep 4 hours and get up."

• Options

I've heard an off colored joke about the difference between the two. I've even heard Ricky tell the joke in an interview