Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

CGS in review

2»

Comments

• Options

Episode #18 from 4 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, Jamie D, and Matt episode

Highlights:

• July Previews episode! – Books solicited include: Absolute edition of Batman Hush,  the first trade of the Brubaker Captain America, The Essential Killraven, New printing of Secret Wars, All Star Batman #1, Batgirl Year One, JSA classified #1, Justice League companion by TwoMorrows,
    • A brief discussion on J. Michael Straczynski and how his works usually starts out great and finishes poorly.
    • How @Matt got started in comics – starts out with Amazing Spiderman around the time of the Hobgoblin saga, gets out of comics for a while and comes back in with Batman during the Knightfall event.  Saw the 1st Spiderman movie 10 times in the theater.
    • His why are you (even working) in comics list for creators includes – Kelly Jones (draws huge foreheads), Damon Scott (his characters look like stick figures), Chuck Dixon, J. Michael Straczynski, Dave Lapham (was so bored by his writing that he wanted to beat himself with his own arms).

Main Topic for Discussion – What Indy Comics to read as explained by Jamie D

IDW with books 30 days of Night, Grimjack, and licensed books like CSI, Angel, 24, etc.

Burly man – with books like Doc Frankenstein, Matrix licensed books, Shaolin Cowboy (this company has not aged well over time). 

• Options

Episode #18 from 4 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, Jamie D, and Matt episode

Highlights:

• July Previews episode! – Books solicited include: Absolute edition of Batman Hush,  the first trade of the Brubaker Captain America, The Essential Killraven, New printing of Secret Wars, All Star Batman #1, Batgirl Year One, JSA classified #1, Justice League companion by TwoMorrows,
    • A brief discussion on J. Michael Straczynski and how his works usually starts out great and finishes poorly.
    • How @Matt got started in comics – starts out with Amazing Spiderman around the time of the Hobgoblin saga, gets out of comics for a while and comes back in with Batman during the Knightfall event.  Saw the 1st Spiderman movie 10 times in the theater. His why are you (even) in comics list for creator includes – Kelly Jones (draws huge foreheads), Damon Scott (his characters look like stick figures), Chuck Dixon, J. Michael Straczynski, Dave Lapham (was so bored by his writing that he wanted to beat himself with his own arms).

Main Topic for Discussion – What Indy Comics to read as explained by Jamie D

IDW with books 30 days of Night, Grimjack, and licensed books like CSI, Angel, 24, etc.

Burly man – with books like Doc Frankenstein, Matrix licensed books, Shaolin Cowboy (this company has not aged well over time). 

• Options

Episode #19 from 6 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, Jamie D, and Shane episode

Highlights:

* The question is asked – Where is a good place to jump into Marvel? The group suggested the Kevin Smith Daredevil run, The Ultimate Universe, The Essential line, books from The Heroes Returned Timeframe. I do not know how to answer this question for 2021 but I am pretty sure that none of their 2005 answers would be given in 2021.

* Stump the Audience Constant Round 2. The questions were:

1. What DC comic is Mark Silvestri's first work?

2. When Swamp Things artists (John Totleben & Stephen Bissette) asked Alan Moore to create the character that would become John Constantine, what real life person did they want him to look like?

3. Bruce Banner once gave himself, the Grey Hulk, and the rampaging Green Hulk three names that represented his super ego (which was Bruce Banner), his ego (which was the Grey Hulk), and his id (which was the rampaging Green Hulk). What were those three arch type names?

Main Topic for Discussion – In a follow up to episode #12, Los Comic Geekos send in their lists of their worst comics ever:

All of Valiant, Silver Age Superman, Superman for Tomorrow, Every DC event from between Crisis and Infinite Crisis, Superman #75, Zero Hero, All of X Men from the time Mark Waid took over, Batman Knightfall, The Kingdom, The Dark Knight Strikes Again, X Men 2099, first return of Chris Claremont to the X Men, Avengers/X Men crossover Blood ties, Wolverine #100, X Men Onslaught, early years of Image comics, Spiderman Clone Saga, Wolverine Origins, Wolverine: The End, Emerald Twilight

• Options

Episode #20 from 11 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, Kevin, Jamie D, and Shane episode

This is an episode all about Cartoons!

Highlights: 

* The gang lists their favorite cartoons;

Bryan: Star Blazers

Peter: Challenge of the Super Friends

Kevin: 1960’s Spiderman

Jamie: Hanna Barbara Wacky Races

Shane: Star Blazers

The rest of the episode is just listening to theme songs of classic cartoons. 

My favorite growing up was G.I. Joe.  He Man, Transformers, and Super Friends were close behind. It has been finished for several years now but I did really enjoy Batman: The Brave and the Bold.  

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613

My favorite growing up was Gi Joe. I was a little older but I loved the tick, batman TAS, Batman Beyond, X-Men and Spiderman. I'm 100% with you about Batman brave and the bold.

• Options

Episode #21 from 14 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, and Jamie D episode

This is pretty much a filler episode. 

*Announcement of a promo contest

*DCBS is about to launch Instock Trades

*Talk about Bryan & Peter’s recent travels including Peter dancing with the Rockettes and going to a strip club for the first time and Bryan getting a surprise invite to audition for an Apple commercial. 

• Options

Episode #22 from 20 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, and Jamie D episode

Main Topic:  How to sell comics on EBAY

*How to rate individual comics for sale (poor, good, very good, mint, etc)

* Words of EBAY wisdom from 2005;

Peter  - “Don’t’ be afraid of Ebay – It works”

Bryan - “Get a Paypal account”

Peter –  “include pictures”

Bryan – “Media Mail is a godsend”

Bryan – “Don’t take personal checks”

Peter – “Don’t jump in and expect to make a lot of money” 

• Options

Episode #23 from 23 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, and Jamie D episode

First (and maybe only??) appearance of Alex.  Got into comics because of the Incredible Hulk tv show and Star Blazers.

Main Topic: Jamie D cuts a wrestling promo on Countdown to Infinite Crisis. 

He hated it.  According to him what was done with Blue Beetle and Maxwell Lord was bad writing and bad characterization with no reason for any of it.  DC now stands for Death Comics.

I think Jamie would not have thought too much of Wonder Woman 84 either.  

• Options

Unnumbered Episode from 23 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, Shane, Matt, Kevin, and Jamie D episode. 

Main Topic: Star Wars Episode III Movie Review!

I am not much of a Star Wars fan overall and my interest in the prequel trilogy is not great so this should be interesting. Episode III is my favorite of the bunch though.

The group generally gave it 3 to 3.5 lightsabers out of 4.  Kevin was the odd geek out who gave it a 2.5 out of 4. His review is the one that I think would reflect the general opinion of most fans and would remain the same even today. I could be wrong though. Maybe after the recent Disney films, the Lucas Prequels could be more fondly remembered.

Everyone appears to think highly of Hayden Christensen in this movie and the characterization of Anakin in the movie.  The foreshadowing of events from the original trilogy is also highly praised. 

Shane loves the movie but really highlights how the movie novelizations are better than the movies by how much additional explanation and details the books go into about characters and events. 

Overall, a good episode. You can really tell the guys love Star Wars and were having a great time talking about it.

• Options

Episode #24 from 25 May, 2005 – A Bryan, Peter, Shane, and Jamie D episode. 

Main Topic: Smallville Season 4 Finale discussion.

This is largely an episode that I will skip over. I never watched Smallville and have no plans to start.

There was a discussion about a 10 min Batman Begins preview that aired with the Smallville episode. Everyone is excited about Christian Bale playing Batman and how “dark” this Batman film appears to be.  It is interesting to go back in time and hear people excited about super hero movies. There have been so many super hero movies now that they really just come and go. 

The group conversation drifted into a discussion about what representation of Batman is the “real Batman” that people think of when they think of Batman. They are pretty united in their belief that the “Dark Knight Returns” influenced Batman (dark, gritty) is the best version of Batman and those that prefer the Adam West campy type of Batman just need to get over it. They also kind of predict the future release of Batman vs Superman by their hope of a “World’s Finest” type of movie.  Their prediction that the Fantastic Four movie would appeal to a wider audience than Batman Begins did not age well. In fairness, they did think that Batman Begins would be the overall better film.