Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1857 Talkback: Thor Love and Thunder Movie Review

i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
edited August 2022 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs

Have at thee! Another Thor film has made its way down to Midgar, and we mere mortals have the privilege of reviewing it. Chris, Ian, Shane and Murd, aka the Warriors Three Plus One, give their full spoilery thoughts and opinions on Love and Thunder. Does Taika's second attempt at Thor belong in the hallowed halls of Valhalla, or was it a swing and a miss of an Enchanted Uru hammer? Listen in, dear listeners and discover for yourselves; but don't tell Stormbreaker, it'll get jealous. Oh, there's also a voicemail from an old friend. (1:38:51)

Listen here or watch it on YouTube:

Comments

• Options
    JonJon Posts: 6
    edited September 2022

Finally saw this at the cinema yesterday.

So naturally, today I have been listening to the CGS review of it. Always great to hear all of the geeks' comments. While watching the film and seeing the Warriors Three getting such short shrift, I immediately thought of Chris so it was good to hear that he was as annoyed about it as I was.

Agree with many of the points that you all make. Like Ragnarok, there is a good film in there somewhere but these MCU films just don't do 'less is more,' do they? The Guardians of the Galaxy scene, for example, just seemed completely bolted on.

Shane and Murd's point about the kids being empowered chimed with me, or, to be more precise, with my 12 year old son. He'd already seen it and, when that scene was about to start, he whispered to me that it was his favourite part of the film. (Conversely, whenever it cut to scenes of the children looking all scared and anxious, I couldn't resist whispering "Something is Killing the Children' in the style of Ian. to him)

And yes, Russell Crowe as Zeus was toe-curlingly awful and I fear that they are going to do something similar with Hercules.

However, as Shane said, I think the majority of non-comic reading filmgoers gave the film a thumbs up.