Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

1454647484951»

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Not really that much of a Spider man fan, but the belief that a story that starts in a book should end in that book and not some one-shot or special is a hill that I am prepared to die on.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Yeah I'm in that camp also. I'm a casual spiderman reader I pick up back issues ASM from a reputable site (closest local store is an hour away) and then find out the 2 minor storylines end outside of the title I'm reading. Not due to crossover or sister titles, but due to cash I guess?

I'll stop reading marvel all together if this is becoming the regular thing on books.

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Read Punisher Born TPB and Negative Burn Summer Special 2005 .

Born was great. Loved the art and Ennis captures the feel of Castle's mind perfectly.

Negative Burn was pretty decent. Mostly new to me writers and artist.

Here's a fun one that I am glad got made. Thanks to @Torchsong and Mrs. Sparrow for their YouTube puppet show for pointing out this story.

Sir Charles Barkley and The Referee Murders. Sir Charles has to solve a series of murders where he is the prime suspect.

If any of you has a copy of and wants to sell Godzilla vs Charles Barkley please pm. I'm looking for a copy.

Trouble Hardcover by Dodson/Millar

Heard all the stuff about this collection of the 5 issue mini series for close to 20 years now. Got the hardcover for like 6 bucks.

Was warm today so sat out on my pier and read this while listening to a podcast.

Good story with some great art. I wonder if the whole "is Aunt May really Peter's mother" stuff if this would be as hated as it is.

@dubbat138

When I look at your blog I am almost always interested in what you pick up. From the punk music, to the horror (which honestly I am not really into), the wrestling, and the oddities of your comics.

Like picking up Frozen #2 from the dollar store and the rocking roll comics sex pistols. It's all over the place

Thx. I try to shine a tiny light on stuff I don't see getting much talk. The Frozen comic was one my girl got for me.

edited December 2021

Read Gwandanaland Comics reprints of Saga of the Victims,Nightmare issue 7 and then today was the TPB from Fantagraphics collecting the Buddy Bradley stories from HATE annuals 1 thru 9.

All three are worth grabbing If you are into the genres.

Authority vs Lobo Jingle Hell

Just finished right before the end of the 12 days

I've often said giffen/grant=entertaining Lobo

Grant alone=ehhh Lobo.

This is giffen+grant that hails back to lobo Xmas special with the same irreverent humor but added maturity and years of the original. I enjoyed the story.

Super Goof meets the Super Thief Dynabrite issue from Whitman

Learned this reprints the first issue of the regular Super Goof series. But this time on what I think is baxter paper.

Wondering why in 73 Whitman thought a comic with the cover price of 69 cents would sell. Wasn't most comics in 73 priced at 25 or 35 cents?

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

I'm addicted to a series called "Uncle from Another World" (manga) (Yen Press).

In the year 2000, a 17-year old is hit by a car. 17 years later, he wakes up with magical abilities, and absolutely no clue just how much the world has moved on without him (first words out of his mouth are "Is Sega still the dominant gaming platform?") Turns out he was equally clueless in the magical world he had to survive in for 17 years. Particularly in matters of the heart.

There's an anime on Netflix which got me hooked into reading the manga. Both are excellent. I'm in love with the elf character.

Who are you again?

Welcome back man!

• Well the two I really enjoyed were both from DC, One Bad Day: The Riddler and One Bad Day: Two Face, both were great and had great storylines, I recommend them

Marvel Graphic Novel #29 The Hulk & The Thing: The Big Change by Jim Starlin and Bernie Wrightson

Boy this was a fun story and the art was incredible.

The Ripper Gene #1

Drawn by a Local artist and based on the novel of the same name. Fun story with some odd but good art.

Devil Dinosaur 1-3

I used to really dislike this series, but I'm reading the omnibus with the kids. Jack Kirby can draw a cool dinosaur fight. Samuel likes it so much he made one of dinosaurs Devil

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

Devil Dinosaur, for my money, has some of Kirby’s best two-page spreads. Some of those things are just wild.

Last few days at lunch,i will go sit on the back porch and read 1 or 2 comics out of my pile.

Currently going thru a big big run of late 70s/early 80s Fightin Army from Charlton. Yea it is all reprints. But there is Ditko,Glanzman and even some Tom Sutton art in there.

edited March 2023

Shaman's Tears #0-1 Mike Grell knows how to make good comics. I have all the issues so it won't be a years wait for me! However I think I will be wanting more after 12.

Boy I am changing my mind on this one

Batman One Bad Day

Catwoman: I liked it. It's a childhood heist book and very enjoyable.

Bane: I liked it also. There is weird complicated history with Bane. Batman and venom. This story is all of it, if you are few older or younger than me you will probably dismiss it. But if you are an Image kid it's going to be your jam

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Mostly I needed to test if posting was working, as there have been outages reported with the forum.

But, to keep it on-topic, a title I have been loving (though reading in trades) is Department of Truth from James Tynion IV, Martin Simmonds, and often other artists as well.

...Let's see if this thing is on.

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Most recently, been picking up the Massive-verse trades and just got a subscription to Marvel Unlimited. Started with Annihilation.

They only comic book I have read was not good, but it had a really interesting creative team that just did not work well.

Wolfpack

Written by Larry hama

Pencilled by Ron Wilson (The more I see of Ron Wilson's art the more I realize I am not a fan of his.)

Part One inked by Whilce Portacio

Part two and three inked by Kyle Baker

There were 3 different colorists for each section.

Read and liked

King COmics Flash Gordon #5

May of 67. Al Williamson art on the two Flash chapters. Great stuff. Made better getting it for 33 cents and the issue is in damn good shape for being over 50 years old.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I had an issue of that as a kid, along with a digest-sized reprint book. Now I've got a nice oversized collection of Williamson's Flash Gordon work. Fantastic stuff. I remember watching him sketch a Flash/Ming swordfight at a small con back in the early ’90s.

edited September 2023

I introduced my kids to Groo a few months ago and man I can't buy back issues fast enough for them. They have been giggling for the month of August

Abigail has probably read Death of Groo 5 times since we got it

Insomnia flared up. Saw I had the Black Label printings of the Moore run on Swamp Thing. And over 3 nights read all of the first 3 vols and halfway thru vol 4,Just got to the Crisis issue.

Ok yea I read these back when I was way to young,had to be 9 or 10 when it started. Re-read it maybe in the late 90s. But never in order since it was being published. Catching so much this re-read.

Why can't we get a long run on a monthly title with no delays?

Fantastic 4 Full Circle

This isn't a comic book you should read. Honestly if took every word out after the credits it would be incredible.

This is a book to look at. The art is really good, but the coloring is the stand out. I recommend everyone at least flip through the book