Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Variants

Do you guys like them? Do you ONLY buy them if available or do you just pick and choose or just buy the regular cover? What are your thoughts?

Comments

• It all boils down to which cover is better for me. It's annoying if there's more than one cover that's really good. How do you decide which one to get? I'm not getting two of the same comic.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I'm the same as Conrad, assuming there's no price difference, I'll get whichever one I like best, and often I find that means I grab the standard cover.

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Same here. I think I've spent extra on a variant once in the last 5 years and that was the Red Tornado - Full Metal Jacket homage cover for DCeased. I have picked up Syd Mead variants on the Titan Blade Runner titles.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

For the longest time I resisted variant covers, because I didn't want that to become what the comics market was all about (amazing covers with nothing worth reading inside them), but of late my bluff has been called. I have a number of friends in the industry more than I am who I try to support by picking them up, and hell...my girl Mary Marvel is on every other cover these days, so I'm picking up a lot more of them than I used to.

My absolute breakdown was this year when I bought my first 'virgin art' cover (no logos or publishing info, just the art).

• I'm not a huge fan of variants, but I have bought a few in recent memory. A couple of them have been for Mxyzptlk appearances, such as Action #1050 Cover D.

Some are for books I work on, like Steve Bryant's Athena Voltaire or Ghoul Scouts. I try to get all the variants of those just for my files.

I admit I have also speculated on a few variants in recent memory hoping to get something rare and in demand, mostly to my chagrin. That said, I did just order the 1:25 variant of Harrower #1. I really like the artwork on that one. Sometimes I sucker myself into this stuff.