Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Introduce Yourself-- And Play Two Truths and a Lie...

Comments

• 'ello again.

Glad to be back, I feel so old as this is the third forums I have had the privledge of joining for CGS.

1. I listen too many podcasts, I am always behind, but CGS is at the top of my listening "stack."
    2. I have never had a bone broken in my body, and yet I have survived 3 major car accidents, 2 of them I totaled the vehicle.
    3. I have read Watchman, Born Again but not DKR.
  • JohnTiltonJohnTilton Posts: 113
    Rawr, it's nonplayer, but using the real name. so that's truth #1, nonplayer = John Tilton. Hmm, lets see, truth #2 is that I've survived a broken neck because well, I'm a beast :D #3 is that I'm currently way too addicted to Dark Souls, in an almost masochistic way. Aaaand #4 is that I cried myself to sleep when Moebius died :(
  • Neutron11Neutron11 Posts: 35
    I'm Rob and I've been a CGS'er since just before episode 100. I'm an elementary school teacher and am happily married with two beautiful daughters.
    On with the truths and a lie...
    *Once I bumped into Robin Williams at a restaurant in San Francisco and casually invited him to join us, and he did.
    * I once had a small fender bender and the windshield popped loose and landed in the front seat.
    *I've come face to face with a wild bear twice in my life.
  • JC now invades the forum, also goes by the name David. I've joined Comicoholics Anonymous, sorry I mean I started listening to CGS and became even more addicted to the medium.

Wannabe Writer
    Wannabe Musician
    Wannabe Exorcist
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Neutron11
    should the Williams bit be true tell me more....or no....don't.... [-(
  • BadDeaconBadDeacon Posts: 120
    @Neutron11 I think you ran into Robin Williams, but he did not join you :(

• I'm Brent and I'm co-host of The Comic Timing Podcast with Ian Levenstein. I started listening to CGS in 2006 and can't believe it was that long ago

1. I'm an aerospace engineer
    2. I've never been to Super Show
    3. I love green eggs and ham
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    My name is Matthew Guy. This is my third CGS forum & I have listened to CGS Pre-tunes (yes I am old school). I listen to every episode except the Bede ones.

Two truths & a lie.

1. My first comic was Detective Comics #521 it had Green Arrow on the cover of the comic.
    2. I have a mild form of Cerebral Palsy in my right leg & right arm.
    3. I think Grant Morrison's work on Batman is Eisner worthy.

Matthew

• Good to have the forums back but I'm not liking the look of them. Really hoping the Geeks make the board look less bland.

I just started reading The Walking Dead last week. A buddy of mine got me the compendium and I've been reading one chap a day,it's really hard to put it down but I want everything to sink in. Loving it.

I'm mostly a superhero comic reader along with pulp and mystery stuff tossed in. Always on the look out for something new a different.

1) I've been in two movies.
    2) I know how to play the tuba.
    3) I know how to speak 8 different languages.

• matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    John Davis. Long-time listener and long-time forumite. I live in the Detroit area.

1. My forum name is based on my love of Matchkit cars growing up.
    2. I haven't bought a current month comic in three years.
    3. I plan on buying Ghost Rider - Spirt of Vengence on blu-ray.
  • JohnGJohnG Posts: 4
    Hello, everyone! I am John and I live in Madison, WI. On the previous forums, I was JGMadisonW. I have been listening since the mid-30s (episode, not age!), though I admit to being on-again-off-again. I have made some great lifelong friends through CGS forums, and without you I wouldn't be co-host of the "official podcast of Top Cow Productions," Doughnuts and Top Cow.

Here's 2 facts and a lie!
    1. I am a lifelong comic reader, but I went away from the hobby for more than 20 years.
    2. I briefly dated Jenny McCarthy when we were both at SIU in 1991
    3. I visit Walt Disney World at least twice a year.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2012
    I'm Greg, greggie_o on the previous forums. I've been listening to CGS for almost a year and half and I've now been back into reading/collecting comics for two years, breaking twelve years of being out of the hobby.

1. I have never read an issue or watched an episode of Walking Dead.
    2. I've never read Watchmen.
    3. My brother, two sisters and I have a band called zazzlebutt.

• larrylarry Posts: 125
    Hi everybody! I'm Larry. I've been listening to CGS now for about a year and a half. It really got me back into reading comics. I've listened to about 500 of the episodes since I started including a lot of past episodes. I really enjoy the banter. You seem like a good group of guys. I was not a part of the old forums but since there is a relaunch I figured it was time for me to get on board. Thanks for all the podcasts guys. I couldn't make it through a work week without them!!
  • 2up1down2up1down Posts: 2
    edited December 2020
    Hello... I was The Red Hood on the old forums. I've been listening to the show since Episode 10 and really appreciate the enormous effort from the past and present CGS crew. I admin the Robin Appreciation Group & the Bill Finger Appreciation Group on Facebook. I've been reading comics since 1976 (with a break in the late 90's/early 2000's) and I probably read an equal amount of indie books as I do from DC and Marvel.

1. I was Batman in a Christmas Parade and received more applause than Santa
    2. Was briefly side-by-side with Lance Armstrong in a charity bike race
    3. Performed with 80's pop idol Tiffany
  • FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    Hi my name is Scotty Veiga, been listening to the show for about 3 years now. I've met majority of the cast of the show at Fan Expo last year and NYCC this year. Nicest guys I've met.

-I'm the owner/publisher of FEEDBACK-MAGAZINE
    -When I was 19, I was talked out of a threesome with two 22 year old Russian sisters by a friend.
    - I currently am the father of four lovely kids.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Hi, folks. I'm Bill Doughty, and I've reclaimed my old forum name of Library Boy in keeping with the theme of rebooting our little corner of the universe. I've worked in a library for nearly 10 years, and I'm in the final year of my MLIS program, so I come by the name rightly enough. I love long, slow walks on the beach with that special someone and the comedy stylings of Gallagher... oh, wait, wrong profile. I'm into comics, books, movies, Doctor Who, cartoons, Godzilla, Pez, Sherlock Holmes, lukewarm Chinese take-out, and platypi, and when I was little I wanted to be Encyclopedia Brown in the worst way.

Here are my 2 truths and a lie:

1. I once spent the evening drinking absinthe with Tommy Wiseau, director/writer/producer/star/probably caterer of The Room.

2. I was an extra in the mini-series Stephen King's The Langoliers and can just kinda be at the end through a bad special effects wipe as the characters are coming back in sync with time.

3. I was station manager of my college radio station, which was mostly pretty terrible but it did get me on as a TV talk show guest and thanked in the liner notes of someone's album, so that was cool.
  • WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I'm Chris and I'm a comic geek.

Been reading comics since the mid 70's am I am proud to say I am a card carrying member of F.O.O.M.... Friend Of Old Marvel.

I've been listening to CGS since almost from the start and have been on every version of the forum.

1. I have never read or seen any of the Harry Potter books or movies.
    2. I have complete collection of Spider-Man comic books (AMS, PPSSM, MTU, WoS...) except for about 12 issues.
    3. I got hired at my first job because I was honest enough to return a wallet I found with all the money still in the wallet
  • Hello my name is Theo and I go by 'monkeyboy666' on the forum (old & new). I've been listening to CGS since 2006. I'm a father of 2 and husband of 1, and I've been reading comics since I was 4 years old.

2 truths and a lie:
    1. The first comic I read was 'Uncanny X-men #51.
    2. I used to compete as an amateur body builder (20 years ago)
    3. I'm the illegitimate love child of Wayne Newton
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Déjà vu. I was Fade2Black on the previous forum incarnation, and I see no reason to change that. Though on St. Patty's Day I was Fade2Green. If Fade2Black is too much of a mouthful (no double entendre implied) F2B, Fade, and Trevor are perfectly acceptable alternatives.

• I am an avid disc golf player.
    • I am hail from Cupertino, CA.
    • I'm a Skrull posing as a Terminator who in turn is posing as a human. And that's the truth. . . . :P -plbbbppptt!!!
  • I joined the forums just before this big change through the Raging Bullets podcast. I was heavily into comics in the late 80s and early 90s but then lapsed until the DC New 52 and now back reading mostly DC comics. Also big into RPGs, especially D&D. Like to draw and am getting into digital media with an eye on some graphic design for tshirts and such.

2 truths and a lie
    1. I am in process of opening my own comic book and rpg shop in the next six months or so.
    2. I am a huge fan of Superman and Firefly
    3. I make an amazing sugar-free pumpkin pie with a pecan crust
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2012
    Hello,

I am David D., and live in Astoria, NY. I have been with CGS since before iTunes did podcasts. I was using a podcatcher (via dial-up), found it on a search for comics, and my first episode was #15, an interview with a Star Wars fan film maker. I think it was the first (?) Book of the Month Club, on Animal Man, got me to get involved with the forums for the first time.

I've read comics (I don't know why I avoid the word "collect" no matter how many boxes of bagged and boarded books are here, and filling my parents' attic... I guess it is a holdover feeling from the speculator boom) since the early 1980s.

I have a pretty freelance life. Most of my time now is spent being a father, but I also do teaching artist work for two theaters, a consulting job running a database and doing back office work for a tech recruiter, and some still do some acting and commercial voiceover work when I can get it. For many years now, and across several jobs, the CGS forums have been a welcome way to find some distraction and entertainment, usually when doing the boring part of my freelance life, which is to say, any of the work that traps me in front of a computer for hours.

And now, some Two Truths and a Lie:

1. Despite being one of the whitest men you know, I have taught Hip-Hop in the Bronx and Capoeira in East Harlem.

2. My stage acting career and a lot of touring has allowed me to perform in more than 3/4ths of the states in the US and a little bit outside of it. This has also allowed me to visit comic books in all sorts of places, including Anchorage Alaska and Hamilton, Bermuda, as well as many places in between. I have also died on two of the three Law & Orders, and have taken my pants off on MSNBC.

3. I have hosted a podcast for years that I have never told anyone here about.
  • CMWhittingtonCMWhittington Posts: 5
    edited March 2012
    I'm Chris and I had discovered the show after learning about podcasting via the Wired issue with Adam Curry. After having abandoned comics in the late 90's, it was pleasantly surprising at how many great books I was able to get exposed to from the show. @brydeemer became my main "source" for reads as our tastes tend to run parallel. I was a pretty active member of the CGS community in its early stages until my "casual reader" status led me to other interests and communities.

Even though I'm mostly a lurker these days, I love coming back to the comic watering hole here to see what the guys are up to.

Two Truths and a Lie:

1) I was the guy who penned "Uniting the World's Mightiest Heroes, One Listener at a Time". I even scored a copy of City of Heroes for it.

2) I host a semi-regular podcast about over-looked and under-appreciated video games at the Squadron of Shame. The CGS guys inspired me to get behind the mic and make some waves of my own.

3) I own a 21% share in the Kellogg's dynasty.
  • ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I'm L nny (of the floating "e") from NY. CGS listener since '06 or so. My first comic was Batman # 207, but it was FF #94 which converted me to being a comics collector and a Marvel guy for the rest of my life (although I buy lots of DC's and Indies, as well). I'm a BIG Cerebus fan.

1. The jewel of my collection is Amazing Fantasy #15.
    2. I've been on more episodes of Letterman than Pants.
    3. I've seen every episode of every incarnation of Star Trek, including the movies.

• I'm Jay, I've lived in Bellevue, Washington, which is sort of like Sunnydale without the sun, for about 15 years. I went to school in Minnesota, and wish I could move back there. I'm 25 and unemployed. I've been on the forums and a CGS listener since 2006, and I'm Night Girl's biggest fan.
    1. I I have a complete run of Dazzler.
    2. I have handled dozens of pages of Kim Deitch artwork.
    3. I only became a Superman fan in the past few months.
  • PytyrHPytyrH Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I'm Peter - British, living in Ireland - collecting 2000AD and mainly Marvel/DC super-hero books. Discovered Comic Geek Speak at the start of 2011.

1) I have over 1500 digital comics in my collection and now have problems adjusting to reading physical copies.
    2) I have read and loved Ultimates 3. Best Ultimate book ever.
    3) Almost got elected to the UK parliament at the turn of the century.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I'm Cory!! Strode, co-host of Kray Z Comics and Stories (http://www.krayzcomix.solitairerose.com/) and have been both listening and on the forum since the show appeared on iTunes (was that 2005? Ghods I'm old) and have been through EVERY Forum collapse and rebirth. I have been reading comics since age 3 and am an amateur comics historian, so if I don't know about a part of comics history, I'm probably trying to get information on it.

My three statements?

1) I have seen the bands Reverend Horton Heat and They Might Be Giants over 50 times
    2) I wrote multiple unpublished issues of Reagan's Raiders
    3) I had a chat with Ed Wood's first wife at a video store I worked at in the 80's, before the Tim Burton movie came out.
    I'm L nny (of the floating "e") from NY. CGS listener since '06 or so. My first comic was Batman # 207, but it was FF #94 which converted me to being a comics collector and a Marvel guy for the rest of my life (although I buy lots of DC's and Indies, as well). I'm a BIG Cerebus fan.

1. The jewel of my collection is Amazing Fantasy #15.
    2. I've been on more episodes of Letterman than Pants.
    3. I've seen every episode of every incarnation of Star Trek, including the movies.

And I knew you before you showed up here from the Alan Moore discussion list!

And we all know that 3 isn't true. NO ONE has made it through Enterprise.

I'm Chris and I'm a comic geek.

Been reading comics since the mid 70's am I am proud to say I am a card carrying member of F.O.O.M.... Friend Of Old Marvel.

I've been listening to CGS since almost from the start and have been on every version of the forum.

1. I have never read or seen any of the Harry Potter books or movies.
    2. I have complete collection of Spider-Man comic books (AMS, PPSSM, MTU, WoS...) except for about 12 issues.
    3. I got hired at my first job because I was honest enough to return a wallet I found with all the money still in the wallet
    I hope 3 is true, because that's a cool story. I once had a job interview where we talked professional wrestling for 2 hours...and I worked for that company for 11 years!

• Hey guys, I'm Raph. I've been listening to CGS and been on the Forums since about 2006. I have been known to podcast, but I'm up in the air about returning.

1. I am certifiable.
    2. My favorite color is red.
    3. I work at one of the largest comic book stores in the world.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

2) I wrote multiple unpublished issues of Reagan's Raiders
    I don't know if this one is true, but I really really want it to be.