Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is there a deviantart for writers?

Just wondering if there is a place for writers to post stories and the like online? I know artists have deviantart but can writers use it too? Or would it be better to use some place like. Blogspot or Wordpress? Anyone had any experience?

Best Answers

Answers

• Thanks @mikegallagher, @tommysheroes, @gonzogoose & @doctordoom.

Might try digital webbing & deviant art. I'm trying to avoid fan fiction.net because I want to start playing with my own creations. Perhaps we could start a writer's group here, if anyone is interested. I still think the blog idea has its legs though. If you know anyone willing to join in or you guys want to take part then send a message my way.

• tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    Definitely interested in this.
    Thanks @mikegallagher, @tommysheroes, @gonzogoose & @doctordoom.

Might try digital webbing & deviant art. I'm trying to avoid fan fiction.net because I want to start playing with my own creations. Perhaps we could start a writer's group here, if anyone is interested. I still think the blog idea has its legs though. If you know anyone willing to join in or you guys want to take part then send a message my way.

• Let me plot down a few ideas and I'll get back to you soon. And I don't mean 'soon' as in 'I'm going to find an excuse not to do this.'

Man on a mission.
  • HellsfireHellsfire Posts: 89
    It's hard to find places to post stories online because they so long to read. I think instead of posting stories for random people to read, you might do better posting them to online critique groups. You'll also have to read and critique other people's pieces to get yours read.
  • Thanks @Hellsfire. Do you know of any groups that are around?
    Thanks @Hellsfire. Do you know of any groups that are around?
    I hear Critters.org is a good one. There are a few others but I'm drawing a blank.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    It's hard to find places to post stories online because they so long to read. I think instead of posting stories for random people to read, you might do better posting them to online critique groups. You'll also have to read and critique other people's pieces to get yours read.
    There's also the problem of people stealing your ideas. Don't get me wrong - I don't think anyone in the CGS community would do that and I think most people dedicated to the craft enough to hunt down a forum on writing would take someone else's ideas, but (1) I'm sure there's a writer equivalent to Rob Granito out there somewhere and (2) it can still exert an unintentional influence. Of course, to be fair, that can be done with anything you read, but if I unintentionally ape a story Alan Moore wrote ten years ago, people will recognize it. If I unintentionally ape a story that gets published next year, that author will look like he stole from me.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks @KyleMoyer, that was my thought too. I want the experience of writing but there just isn't anyone around my geographic location who would serve as a reasonable critic for me, nor provide the motivation that I want.

The real issue for me is one of motivation. I want to gather a group who are interested, who would offer constructive criticism, give creative challenges and help to motivate each other.

As for the copying or appropriating of ideas, that happens all the time and doesn't happen at all. Let me explain. There are people who plagiarise blatantly and we can't help that. But I could read a book ten years ago and it influences my current story. However, I could not see a movie and be accused of ripping it off because of a similar story that I, independently of that movie, have stumbled on the same story. Then there is the idea of taking previous stories and expanding upon them and developing them even further so they become both influential stories in their own right, like Alan Moore's Lost Girls and League of Extrodinary Gentlemen or Willingham's Fables or Kirkman's Walking Dead or Shaun of the Dead / Hot Fuzz.

I myself am writing a story that takes a lot of influence from Robotech and Ghost on the Shell but I'm trying to put my own story into that context and develop it in my own way. So am I the new Rob Granito?

There's also the problem of people stealing your ideas. Don't get me wrong - I don't think anyone in the CGS community would do that and I think most people dedicated to the craft enough to hunt down a forum on writing would take someone else's ideas, but (1) I'm sure there's a writer equivalent to Rob Granito out there somewhere and (2) it can still exert an unintentional influence. Of course, to be fair, that can be done with anything you read, but if I unintentionally ape a story Alan Moore wrote ten years ago, people will recognize it. If I unintentionally ape a story that gets published next year, that author will look like he stole from me.
    That's not really a problem. I certainly don't worry about it and other people shouldn't. Everyone has ideas, very few people rarely go out and attempt them. Even fewer succeed.
  • One thing drew Gaska taught me about stealing ideas is this:
    I may be an honest person. I have absolutely no want to steal your idea. But after I read it, it is in my head, and will influence something down the road when I can't remember where I got it from.
    If you are worried about this kind of thing, or theft in general, have whomever is going to read it sign a nondisclosure form first.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2012
    I once kind of shared my "writing" @ http://www.nanowrimo.org/ - and nobody stole my ideas..... :-S

:D
  • Thanks @John_Steed, I've heard about that program
    I once kind of shared my "writing" @ http://www.nanowrimo.org/ - and nobody stole my ideas..... :-S

:D
    That, for the uninitiated, is the 'national novel writing month'. So, for a month you attemp to write a novel, sort of an equivalent to a 24 hour comic challenge. I was thinking of giving it a shot but I think it is over for this year, but I probably just try and challenge myself and do my own version.

• PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    anyone interested in fan fiction or general super hero storytelling?

http://superherofanfiction.tumblr.com/
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    If be game to join any such writing group that gets going. I've been writing for a long while now and would like to take part in a group like this. It would be interesting getting my work looked at, as well as reading what others have written and trying to provide any advice/critiqueing I could.

One massive problem for me, and a lot of others I'd guess, is time. There's just not enough in the day!

I'd be happy to give as much time I could spare to something like this though.