Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Music Thread

Comments

• dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    5.The new Joey Ramone solo album

This will be the first CD I have bought in years.
    But Joey's dead, isn't he? Or is this like a Tupac thing?
    Yeah Joey is dead. This album is made up of demos and some songs he recorded before his death that never got released. Joey is still my favorite rock singer and he is the reason I ,in high school,started my own band. We played 2 gigs. One was at the high school talent show and 1 minute into our first song the principal pulled the plug on us. We were doing a cover of the Dead kennedy's song "Holidays in Cambodia". And I was smart and changed the n-word to brothers so to not cause any trouble. The second gig was in this huge field that was right next to a buddies home. About 20 people showed up and we did the 10 songs we knew,plus 2 original songs. We were never a good band but it was fun.

Okay, @dubbat138 now you have to tell me what songs and your band's name. You still play music?
    I haven't played any music ever. In the band I was the singer. The band name was Regex. And we mainly did covers of 70's thru early 80s punk rock songs. Mostly stuff from the Ramones,Dead Kennedys,Black Flag and The Clash. Our two original songs were "F them before they F U!" and "I wanna be ugly". about 5 years ago at a good friends birthday party he had a band made up of some friends of ours playing in his backyard. Well everyone kept wanting me to go up and sing. I did,but it turns out that cause at the time I was smoking 2 packs a day of Camel Non filters my voice couldn't hold up that well. But I did manage to do 3 songs before I had to quit. Ended up doing "The Ramones-Love Kills" "Black Flag-No Values" and "The Misfits-Skulls". I know someone there was video recording it. If I can get them to send me a copy I will have to upload it to Youtube. I just hope yall don't have a problem understanding me. Mainly cause I have a super thick southern accent.

At one time I had a cassette of Regex playing some songs. But I lost that tape years ago,and no one seems to still have a copy.
    Sounds like a mission.

By the way, I'm seeing Henry Rollins tonight. Kind of apropriate.
    Nice ,saw him when he was touring with Rollins Band back in the early 90s. Good live performer.

• JGalaJGala Posts: 19
    Rollins is considered the Punisher in the punk society, met him at a ComicCon, I wasn't disappointed.
  • @ dubbat138

You're welcome. However, there is a slight misunderstanding. I do, in fact, really enjoy The Ramones. I also have a great love for the Roger Corman/New World Pictures films. It's just one of those odd instances where two things enjoyed are combined into a single thing that isn't entertaining.

To me, it's a combination of a Ramones showcase that keeps getting interrupted by a silly film and a "rock 'n' roller" that has fallen into a very insistent puddle of punk music that it doesn't quite know how to frame.

I don't like the film because it's (again, my opinion) too unwieldy and imbalanced.
    I have found amoung my friends that aren't into punk music,that they still enjoy The Ramones. I love the film and have owned it on 3 formats now. VHS,Laserdisc and DVD. Plus have seen it 3 times in a theater. One week after showing Rocky Horror the local indy theater showed it.The crowd loved it .

I am certain that people like the movie. I am also quite convinced that you are a fan of it. I don't share your enthusiasm for it.

But, being that neither of us needs approval, justification, or permission for our tastes, it isn't a difference that anyone should be bothered about.

You mentioned that you have owned the film on DVD. Are you referring to the Shout Factory's release under the Roger Corman's Cult Classics banner? If not, I would recommend it. I have several other films from that series and they have great sound, excellent transfers, and fun extras. :)

• KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I guess I need to add The Beastie Boys to that list. :(
  • PaulPhelanPaulPhelan Posts: 45
    1) What's a song from the past year (2011-Present) that you've really enjoyed?

I have very little interest in the state of music today, but I was pleasantly surprised by the latest track by Europe - but I have no idea of the title!

2) What band/artist have you recently "discovered" that you like?

Porcupine Tree, and Explosions In The Sky to name two

3) What was the last CD (actual physical media) that you bought?

I haven't bought physical media in the last 3 years, since I made the decision to go fully digital to save space.

4) What was the last mp3 (or single file audio track) that you bought/downloaded?

555% by Ginger (The Wildhearts) via the Pledge Music site.

5) What are you looking forward to - music-wise - in 2012?

I have no idea, what is coming up? I don't read the music mags, so I'm kind of out of the loop.
  • PaulPhelanPaulPhelan Posts: 45
    6) What's the best live show you've ever been to? Not necessarily in terms of your favorite band (unless it is) but who or what gave you the absolute best live experience (and venue may play a role as well).

The Who doing the entire Quadrophenia show, followed by Greatest Hits in Manchester, UK in1996

7) What's the best cover song you've ever heard?

Johnny Cash's version of One or Solitary Man.

8) What artist or band are you willing to admit you like, though it may lessen your standing as a music-lover among the relative group of strangers who come to these forums ?

I actually really like a lot of Andrew Lloyd-Webbers material.

9) Sometimes movies based around a band's music can be awesome, like the Beatles with "Across the Universe". Sometimes they can be horrible, like the Beatles with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". What's your favorite/least favorite movie based around a band's music?

I don't recall ever seeing any movies based around music.

10) For one night, you can bring someone back from the dead/reunite one band for a one-shot gig, or reform a band at the peak of their talent. Who is it? Difficulty factor: No Zeppelin (Bonham).

Hendrix, or Bon Scott
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited May 2012
    So I fell in love with a local band:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3ogrZ0_ru8

While listening to them on Pandora I discovered Mumford & Sons. I'm not sure how big they are in the UK but I'd never heard of them before. They sound fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd8tOAJMA8Q
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited May 2012
    @Mr_Cosmic : Mumford & Sons have been in the top20 in virtually every European country. Their Album has been in the UK charts for - by now - 2,5 years. So yes - they're pretty big.

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    @John_Steed

OK, thanks for the info!
    @ dubbat138

You're welcome. However, there is a slight misunderstanding. I do, in fact, really enjoy The Ramones. I also have a great love for the Roger Corman/New World Pictures films. It's just one of those odd instances where two things enjoyed are combined into a single thing that isn't entertaining.

To me, it's a combination of a Ramones showcase that keeps getting interrupted by a silly film and a "rock 'n' roller" that has fallen into a very insistent puddle of punk music that it doesn't quite know how to frame.

I don't like the film because it's (again, my opinion) too unwieldy and imbalanced.
    I have found amoung my friends that aren't into punk music,that they still enjoy The Ramones. I love the film and have owned it on 3 formats now. VHS,Laserdisc and DVD. Plus have seen it 3 times in a theater. One week after showing Rocky Horror the local indy theater showed it.The crowd loved it .

I am certain that people like the movie. I am also quite convinced that you are a fan of it. I don't share your enthusiasm for it.

But, being that neither of us needs approval, justification, or permission for our tastes, it isn't a difference that anyone should be bothered about.

You mentioned that you have owned the film on DVD. Are you referring to the Shout Factory's release under the Roger Corman's Cult Classics banner? If not, I would recommend it. I have several other films from that series and they have great sound, excellent transfers, and fun extras. :)

Shout Factorys Corman line has been great so far. Gotten close to half of what has been put out.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I think I might have a new favorite concert which would be Chris from WildPig's performance tonight.
  • edited May 2012
    5.The new Joey Ramone solo album

This will be the first CD I have bought in years.
    But Joey's dead, isn't he? Or is this like a Tupac thing?
    Yeah Joey is dead. This album is made up of demos and some songs he recorded before his death that never got released. Joey is still my favorite rock singer and he is the reason I ,in high school,started my own band. We played 2 gigs. One was at the high school talent show and 1 minute into our first song the principal pulled the plug on us. We were doing a cover of the Dead kennedy's song "Holidays in Cambodia". And I was smart and changed the n-word to brothers so to not cause any trouble. The second gig was in this huge field that was right next to a buddies home. About 20 people showed up and we did the 10 songs we knew,plus 2 original songs. We were never a good band but it was fun.

Okay, @dubbat138 now you have to tell me what songs and your band's name. You still play music?
    I haven't played any music ever. In the band I was the singer. The band name was Regex. And we mainly did covers of 70's thru early 80s punk rock songs. Mostly stuff from the Ramones,Dead Kennedys,Black Flag and The Clash. Our two original songs were "F them before they F U!" and "I wanna be ugly". about 5 years ago at a good friends birthday party he had a band made up of some friends of ours playing in his backyard. Well everyone kept wanting me to go up and sing. I did,but it turns out that cause at the time I was smoking 2 packs a day of Camel Non filters my voice couldn't hold up that well. But I did manage to do 3 songs before I had to quit. Ended up doing "The Ramones-Love Kills" "Black Flag-No Values" and "The Misfits-Skulls". I know someone there was video recording it. If I can get them to send me a copy I will have to upload it to Youtube. I just hope yall don't have a problem understanding me. Mainly cause I have a super thick southern accent.

At one time I had a cassette of Regex playing some songs. But I lost that tape years ago,and no one seems to still have a copy.
    Sounds like a mission.

By the way, I'm seeing Henry Rollins tonight. Kind of apropriate.
    Nice ,saw him when he was touring with Rollins Band back in the early 90s. Good live performer.

Rollins is considered the Punisher in the punk society, met him at a ComicCon, I wasn't disappointed.
    Rollins was awesome. I keep wishing that he'll get the band back together so I can see him play. I managed to meet him after the show, talk to him, thank him for his radio show, thank him for all the music he turned me on to and get a photo. He was dead tired and his voice was shot after a 2 hour and 50 minute show but he still met with fans and talked about issues. Really cool guy.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited July 2012
    Jon Lord has sadly passed away

It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family.

Jon Lord, the legendary keyboard player with Deep Purple co-wrote many of the bands legendary songs including Smoke On The Water and played with many bands and musicians throughout his career.

Best known for his Orchestral work Concerto for Group & Orchestra first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold, a feat repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.

Jon’s solo work was universally acclaimed when he eventually retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

Jon passes from Darkness to Light.

Jon Lord 9 June 1941 – 16 July 2012.
    (http://jonlord.org/)

Jon Lord obituary

I knew about his illness (and age) - but still....

R.I.P.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Rollins was awesome. I keep wishing that he'll get the band back together so I can see him play. I managed to meet him after the show, talk to him, thank him for his radio show, thank him for all the music he turned me on to and get a photo. He was dead tired and his voice was shot after a 2 hour and 50 minute show but he still met with fans and talked about issues. Really cool guy.
    Saw him earlier this year - great guy, funny as hell with so many fun stories, and more than there for the crowd of fans gathered to see him after the show. He's coming back here later this year, and I'm going again.

• Okay @dubbat138, just got the new Joey Ramone album & it is good. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Must if been blind not to have seen that announcement

Okay @dubbat138, just got the new Joey Ramone album & it is good. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Must if been blind not to have seen that announcement

Nice,it was the first CD I have bought in almost 10 years.

• dubbat138 said:

Okay @dubbat138, just got the new Joey Ramone album & it is good. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Must if been blind not to have seen that announcement

How retro. I bought my first digital track the other day, it must be the end of the world

dubbat138 said:

How retro. I bought my first digital track the other day, it must be the end of the world

I still haven't bought a digital track yet. But then most of the bands I like haven't put out albums in years.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    I'll answer #6 first and come back to the others later. I really liked the first couple of Lollapalooza shows, but the best concert I've attended was in 1987 when I was in Germany for a month on a student exchange program. The line-up: first up, Lou Reed; next, Big Audio Dynamite (the first iteration); next, The Pretenders; and finally, U2 (this was during the Joshua Tree tour, so they were still good).

A close runner-up: Social Distortion, Sonic Youth, and Neil Young with Crazy Horse in 1990.

I'll answer #6 first and come back to the others later. I really liked the first couple of Lollapalooza shows, but the best concert I've attended was in 1987 when I was in Germany for a month on a student exchange program. The line-up: first up, Lou Reed; next, Big Audio Dynamite (the first iteration); next, The Pretenders; and finally, U2 (this was during the Joshua Tree tour, so they were still good).

A close runner-up: Social Distortion, Sonic Youth, and Neil Young with Crazy Horse in 1990.

Nice both sound like great concerts. Have always wanted to see Lou Reed and the Pretenders.
    Alright - one new question for you - with a little background - to keep this tread going - and abuse the hell of the 'em' dash! :)

The other day I'm in my favorite used record store and came across and old favorite from my gangly 80s teenage days. Simple Minds' "Once Upon a Time". It was $3. I scooped it up, and realized something...this is a perfect album. It was back when I had it as a teen, and it holds up today. There's not an unskippable track on it. Each song kind of flows nicely into the next one. The music holds up as well. Mel Gaynor's drumming is still without peer, and the music itself straddles the line between U2 guitar-oriented rock and the heavy keyboard sound that dominated that time period.

It got me thinking how few actually bona-fide "perfect" albums I have. Even some of the best-loved albums tend to have a weak track or two you'll hit forward on when you're listening to them. So maybe we should set some parameters (and feel free to add to mine if you have an idea).

Perfect album criteria:
    1) No skippable tracks. Doesn't matter how beloved the album is (hey, even I skip a track or two on Physical Graffiti :) ), if there's a track you tend to skip, the album is out.
    2) No Greatest Hits. A perfect album should stand as just that - an album - a coherent whole summed up by its parts.

So what are your "perfect" albums?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited July 2012
    Here's a few of mine.

Van Morrison - Moondance
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, Mirage
    Van Halen - Van Halen I, 1984
    Anberlin - every track of every album, nothing gets skipped.
    Lillian Axe - Psychoschizophrenia
    Rumors would be on my list as well. No doubt about it.
    The Ramones-Rocket to Russia
    Black Flag -the first four years
    Misfits-Static Age
    Bad Religion-Suffer
    NOFX-The War on Errorism
    Tori Amos-Little Earthquakes
  • Torchsong said:

Alright - one new question for you - with a little background - to keep this tread going - and abuse the hell of the 'em' dash! :)

The other day I'm in my favorite used record store and came across and old favorite from my gangly 80s teenage days. Simple Minds' "Once Upon a Time". It was $3. I scooped it up, and realized something...this is a perfect album. It was back when I had it as a teen, and it holds up today. There's not an unskippable track on it. Each song kind of flows nicely into the next one. The music holds up as well. Mel Gaynor's drumming is still without peer, and the music itself straddles the line between U2 guitar-oriented rock and the heavy keyboard sound that dominated that time period.

It got me thinking how few actually bona-fide "perfect" albums I have. Even some of the best-loved albums tend to have a weak track or two you'll hit forward on when you're listening to them. So maybe we should set some parameters (and feel free to add to mine if you have an idea).

Perfect album criteria:
    1) No skippable tracks. Doesn't matter how beloved the album is (hey, even I skip a track or two on Physical Graffiti :) ), if there's a track you tend to skip, the album is out.
    2) No Greatest Hits. A perfect album should stand as just that - an album - a coherent whole summed up by its parts.

So what are your "perfect" albums?

How about Live albums? GPN's live at the Freemont is the one I have to listen to all the way through.

Live albums might be another good candidate - what's your favorite Live album?

Kiss Alive is definitely up there with me...I played the hell out of that as a kid (and still do today!) :)
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I don't have too many live albums.

Kiss Alive is definitely up there. Tesla's Five Man Acoustical Jam is one of my favorites. I'll pull a Wayne's World and say Frampton Comes Alive and Cheap Trick Live at Budokan are pretty good.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Torchsong said:

It's interesting you mention that one, because it was one of the first cassettes I bought, and I remember playing it a lot at the time because I specifically didn't have to fast forward anything on it. It was one of the tapes I brought on a long family trip, so I still have really distinct memories of sitting in a bedroom at a relative's house and playing it over and over. I'm kind of surprised I never picked it up again on CD or MP3.

I'll have to scroll through my iTunes tonight and see what perfect albums I have. I've listened to so much music over the years that my brain just scrambles when I try to come up with things like this off the top of my head. They're pretty rare. As much as I love Morrisey/The Smiths, I'm hard pressed to come up with an album by either that doesn't have a track or two I remember skipping. Even The Beatles are a challenge, because I know there are things I skip on Rubber Soul and Revolver, and I love those albums.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Torchsong said:

Live albums might be another good candidate - what's your favorite Live album?

Kiss Alive is definitely up there with me...I played the hell out of that as a kid (and still do today!) :)

I'm not even a Kiss fan, but I own and often play Kiss Alive.

My favorite live album is a little bit of a cheat, since it's a television special, and I'll bet bits of it are pre-recorded, but I could listen to the Elvis Comeback Special over and over and never grow tired of it.
    My favorite live album is Ramones-Loco Live.