Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Video Game Thread

GregGreg Posts: 1,946
We have a thread for novels, audiobooks, Netflix and boardgames, so why not a general thread for video games?

What are you playing your games on?

What are some of your favorite classic video games?

What games are have you been playing recently?

What games are you looking forward to?

Any games you were really looking forward to that ended up not getting produced?

Any there any properties you want to see as a video game?

If you could have one classic aracde video game machine, what would it be?

What genres/styles of video games do you like?

Feel free to add to the questions and bring your video game talk here.

Comments

• That's a lot of questions. I'm currently playing Star Trek Online. It is awesome! It's my first MMO and I normally hate PC gaming and MMOs, but I love this one. If anyone else is playing, I need some more friends to build a fleet.

I can't wait for Transformers: Fall of Cybertron. The previous game was awesome and like all video game sequels, this one looks to be better.

I'm sad that there will never be a Mirror's Edge 2 or Viewtiful Joe 3. I constantly bug my friends to tell their bosses to get those games made.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited August 2012
    Sorry if this turns out to be the size of a short story. I tried to keep it short.

I'm a pc gamer. I'm one of those guys that has a gaming rig with dual hd vid cards, has an hd monitor and well that stuff. I fell off the console love a long time ago, not because I didn't like what was out there, but because I had a knife go about three inches into my left hand, I just don't have the reflexes. strength and control that I used to and eventually the pain when playing games was becoming too much to deal with.

I don't play many iOS games. I have learned the hard way to keep games off of my ipod touch. It always ends up in the hands of the wife or kids and I have to bite, kick and scream to get it back so that I can have some music to listen to while mowing the lawn.

Right now I'm still playing Diablo 3, got sucked back into WoW by my nephews and have been playing War for Cybertron while waiting for Fall of Cybertron. I had been playing SWToR but once I got past the class stories, the game started losing me. I love the pvp in that game but until more story comes out of it, I'm done until it goes free to play this fall. And with three pc's at home I jump on Super Hero Squad Online and hero up with the rugrats, its free and in its simplicity is fun and addictive. I also still play the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games with my son and dad.

Growing up we had an arcade so close to our house it was almost in our backyard and the arcade was right next to a joint that could fill all the needs a kid could have for ice cream, candy, burgers, chicago dogs and even movie based trading cards. My favorite classics are Galaga, Centipede and Donkey Kong. I remember spending $26 in one day on Crazy Climber and Rampage and another day spending four hours playing the Tron game with my dad. If I could have any classic arcade machine it would have to be Galaga.

I'm really looking forward to Fall of Cybertron and Darksiders II. Fall of Cybertron...you get to play as Grimlock and Metroplex in the campaign mode! When I opened the Steam account I found out a game was made based on the Confrontation minituares wargame and although the reviews have not been kind, as soon as I see it on sale, I'm getting it.

A game had been developed based on the Warmachine miniatures game. The trailer was released last year and nothing has been heard of it since. That's not good. The graphics looked good but the gameplay and mechanics did not seem to be there. I'm hoping this game still comes to fruition and doesn't suck.

I have my hopes out there for a well done Transformers mmo, it doesn't have to be an mmo on the scale of WoW and other but something that just offers more than what War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron both offer.

I would like to see a Skullkickers game of some kind.

A full on mmo for Iron Kingdoms which is the greater universe name for Warmachine and Hordes, the lore is awesome and it is full of fantasy and steampunky goodness.

I'm mainly into rpg's, action/adventure style games. I have no apptitude for fist person shooters. I love sports games, football, baseball and hockey and I miss playing fighters.
    @Hellsfire - I don't know much about the Star Trek mmo. I love ST but have been turned off by the few other Star Trek games that have been out there over the years. Is this one based in the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe?
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    What are you playing your games on? Mainly the PS3 and Xbox360. We have a Wii but it rarely gets used these days.

What are some of your favorite classic video games? If we're talking Coin-Op I gotta go with Star Trek, Journey, Tron and Discs of Tron. If we're talking on the console or PC, then it's pretty much all the Final Fantasy series, anything Harvest Moon (they're classic now, right?), Dungeon Siege, King's Quest, Zork, etc.

What games are have you been playing recently? Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (an oldie but a goodie), Sacred 2:Fallen Angel, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, and Little Big Planet 2. Also any Lego games that come out.

What games are you looking forward to? Anything new in the Harvest Moon or Final Fantasy franchises.

Any games you were really looking forward to that ended up not getting produced? The next installment of Dead or Alive.

Any there any properties you want to see as a video game? A lego simulator with their non-licensed stuff like Castle or City where you can just build and have fun. Like mixing Lego with The Sims.

If you could have one classic aracde video game machine, what would it be? The sit-down version of either the Star Trek or Star Wars game. Or the stand-up version of the Journey game, for sheer cheesiness.

What genres/styles of video games do you like? Sims and RPGs mainly.
    @Torchsong - Good stuff. I don't know how, but I forgot about that sit down Star Wars game. Getting hold of one of those is good way to get a smack upside the head by the ol' lady.

We have all of the Lego games except the Potter games. I don't know what we did wrong as geek parents but the kids really dislike all things Harry Potter. Well, except for stuff that makes fun of Potter.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited August 2012

- We got all current systems at our place

- Galaga, 1943, Tetris, Asteroids, Star Wars

What games have you been playing recently?
    - Mass Effect 3 (PS3)

- Haven't been following the news

Any games you were really looking forward to that ended up not getting produced?
    - There was always more than enough around to play

Any properties you want to see as a video game?
    - Boardwalk Empire

- one of those awesome Star Wars cabinets

- open for anything

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm trying to do this from my iPhone so I'll be brief.

Right now I'm getting back into Team Fortress 2. I've been playing a version of TF since the late 90's. Easily my favorite FPS. Although I do enjoy Counter Strike and I'm looking forward to the new version.

I pretty much play anything Valve puts out. I love the Half-Life games and I can't wait for Half-Life 3.

I also love playing the Mass Effect and Starcraft games.

I recently cancelled my SW:TOR account. I enjoyed it but it was time to move on.

I could go on and on but maybe I'll come back and add more later.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    i am not a gamer. in fact the last game i played was Myst. BUT. there is a vintage vidoegame museum in Mclean, IL (near-ish to where i live) and a buddy and i spend 3 hours and $20 in quarters there last weekend just for giggles. We played Dig Dug, Jungle Hunt, Satan's Hollow, Super Zaxxon, Super Pac-man, the Shadow pinball game, Spy Hunter..
  • What are you playing your games on?
    - Mostly PC.

- The Mega Man series

- Diablo 3 for the PC (it truly is a pile of shit) and Mega Man Network Battle 3 Blue for the GBA always trying those F2P games on steam when they come out.

- Guild Wars 2 and Borderlands 2 both for the PC

- The Hellraiser MMO from years back (think it was around 2002 or so)

- A Sliders RPG or a new Farscape RPG (yes I know there's already a Farscape game but I never got it and if I can find it for around 10$ I would buy it)

If you could have one classic arcade video game machine, what would it be?
    - Street Fighter vs Xmen. Greatest fighting game ever. I know it's not classic but it is retro.

- RPGs, FPSs,Fighters and some Action/Adventure
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    PS3

Dig Dug, Joust, Golden Axe, many many from the golden age of arcades.

Finished COD:MW3. Started Mass Effect3 but stopped. Right now Im finishing up Resistance 3. Me and my son are playing Rayman Origins and Portal2. Next I'll be starting LA Noir.

Borderlands 2 Borderlands 2 Borderlands 2!

Dont think so. Depends on whether or not Force Unleashed 3 happens or not.

Back to the Future in a more realistic, Ghostbusters game like way.

Not sure

I like a mix. Just depends on the fun / enjoyment level. Im partial to shooters / acion adventure though.

Im really a not big or good gamer and not very well versed (especially with all the new tech and such). Just got back into them over the last 4-5 years.
  • Greg said:

@Hellsfire - I don't know much about the Star Trek mmo. I love ST but have been turned off by the few other Star Trek games that have been out there over the years. Is this one based in the JJ Abrams Star Trek universe?

It's based in the proper universe. It even mentions what happened to Spock and Nero. It takes place either 20 or 40 years after the movie. I can never remember. It explores a lot of interesting things like what happened to the Romulans, the Borg, Cardassians, and the Undine (Species 8472). And from what I understand, it's all canon. It's free to play so you should give it a shot.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

What are you playing your games on? Currently I am playing most of my games on my DS or my Dreamcast.Love how there is emulators for lots of systems that run on the Dreamcast.

What are some of your favorite classic video games? Galaga,Mikey,Rampage,Tron, really it is too many to list them all. I mainly play classic arcade games now.

What games are have you been playing recently? Lego Batman II on my DS.

What games are you looking forward to? Currently nothing.

Any games you were really looking forward to that ended up not getting produced? Not that I know of.

Any there any properties you want to see as a video game? I think a MMORPG based on the Wild Cards novels would be fun.

If you could have one classic aracde video game machine, what would it be? I own 2 of the three I wanted. Got a cocktail table version of Ms Pacman and Joust. Still trying to find an affordable version of 720.

What genres/styles of video games do you like? I mainly play adventure,RPG and fighting games.

• KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    - Xbox 360

- Tecmo Superbowl is my favorite, I still get the old NES out and play a few games every now and then. Also I loved the wrestling games on the N64. And I had more than one session of playing Metroid from start to finish.

- NBA 2k11 it's what I'm usually playing when I listen to CGS. I started back in on Arkham Asylum after beating Arkham City. I had a crash on my save game so I had to start back from the beginning.

- I think I'm going to get the new NCAA college football game next.

- There was a Marvel fighting game a few years back that looked awesome but the company went under or something. I'm surprised someone else didn't pick it up yet.

- Maybe another property done like Arkham City....if they could write a good Deadpool, or maybe Wolverine or Daredevil?

If you could have one classic arcade video game machine, what would it be?
    - The big TMNT arcade game, and even better if a flip of a switch made it the X-men game as well

- Mostly sports
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    - Wii or iPhone (not that I play a lot of iPhone games, but still, there are a few)

- Most of the Pac-Man games (but especially Ms. Pac-Man), Pitfall, Crystal Castles, original Star Wars arcade (the vector graphics one), Donkey Kong Jr., Popeye, TMNT Arcade, X-Men Arcade, Gauntlet, Berzerk... I could go on and on.

- Don't have a lot of time for games lately with work and family and grad school, but I have been making time for Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, which might be the best Lego game yet (on par with the Harry Potter ones and the first Batman, anyway). I also picked up Pinball Hall of Fame: The Midway Collection on the cheap to scratch my pinball itch, and while I don't like the system it uses to unlock additional tables, it's fun and works well with the Wii controls.

- Hoping to get a PS3 or X-Box 360 sometime so I can finally play Arkham Asylum and Arkham City!

- Dunno.

- I want to see a really good Doctor Who game. I know there have been attempts in the past, but I hear they never work out well (we don't seem to get them here in the US either, another thing I'd change!)

- One of those Pac-Man Tournament Edition/Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga combo machines would be sweet. Or the "cocktail" table version of Ms. Pac-Man. And the either the 80s Doctor Who or 70s Superman pinball machine.

- Platformers, puzzle, RPG (when I have the time), classic game re-releases (love it when they get bundled), the occasional sports game so long as it doesn't get too technical.

- PC (AMD Phenom II X4 810 CPU, 8GB, AMD Radeon HD 6850)

- "Classic" is all in the eye of the beholder. I see Donkey Kong as classic while my younger brothers see Donkey Kong Racing as one.
    The games that I look back on with the most fondness are:
    Super Mario Bros (I,II,III)
    Contra, Super C, and Contra III
    Operation WOLF
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles the Arcade Game
    F-Zero

-Star Wars the Old Republic (Just quit my subscription), Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2

- Mass Effect 3 ...when the price drops some more :)

- Starcraft: Ghost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0kKGOQOYxg

FPS, MMO, RTS, Adventure, Platformers, etc etc

• Yeah, that's a mouthful of questions!

I'm currently playing most games on PC; I like fighting games a lot. I generally play Capcom fighters (Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom) and I play Smash Bros. too (who can forget Smash Bros!)

I am still hopeful that Mirrors Edge 2 will happen. I think they just put it on hold so DICE could focus on BF3 development (or at least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better)

I found this game called Wititudes, too, and it's actually a really fun way to pass the time. Jokes and vintage comics, what more could you ask for? http://www.wititudes.com

• I am still hopeful that Mirrors Edge 2 will happen. I think they just put it on hold so DICE could focus on BF3 development (or at least that's what I'm telling myself to make me feel better)

Hey, I'm hoping for that too. I have a friend who told me that they were working on it and that it looked like they were coming out with ME2. Of course, that was a year, year and a half ago and when I ask him now, things ain't looking too bright. Don't see how ME didn't get a sequel when Dead Space did, but whatever.

Did anyone pick up Transformers: Fall of Cybertron? I love it, but I don't like some of the changes they made especially to the multiplayer. Drop me a line if any of you want to play on the Xbox.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    So, a question for you die-hard gamers out there.

Anyone own a Nintendo 3DS? What are your thoughts on it? The missus and I are thinking of getting one (or one each!) because the games we really enjoy (Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon (don't judge! :) )) seem to be coming out solely for those devices.

Are they any good? I played the hell out of my regular DS back in the day.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited August 2012
    The Back to the Future games were awesome!

Finished it last week, and it made me excited to play The Walking Dead.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Torchsong said:

So, a question for you die-hard gamers out there.

Anyone own a Nintendo 3DS? What are your thoughts on it? The missus and I are thinking of getting one (or one each!) because the games we really enjoy (Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon (don't judge! :) )) seem to be coming out solely for those devices.

Are they any good? I played the hell out of my regular DS back in the day.

My son sure loves the hell out of his. And not just for the games. He spends as much time taking pictures and making & watching videos with his friends in daycare as he does playing games. As a result, my wife and I are pretty pleased that there are creative options beyond just the regular game playing. He can bury his face in the screen AND interact with the rest of the world. Everyone wins! :D

Haven't had a lot of chances to play the games myself, but what I've played of Mario Kart 7 is awesome, and Super Mario 3D Land looks like a lot of fun, too. The Lego games, Kirby games, and Scribblenauts are big hits in our house, too. If you're in the market for a handheld, I say go for it. I think the DS/3DS get a better game variety than the Wii, which is why I was more than happy to take possession of the kiddo's original DS Lite when he upgraded to the 3DS on his birthday.
  • Anyone on here playing Guild Wars 2?
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    The last console I bought was a PS2. In addition to that console, I still have a N64, and a PS1.
    I'm afraid gaming isn't something I do much of these days, though I occasionally play Settlers of Catan on my Mac.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

Anyone on here playing Guild Wars 2?

I spent months on the first one - was even competing as a member of an international clan. We also did game testing and stuff. I was pretty addicted.

Now I only play "recreational" and mainly on consoles. Looks like I won't play GW2

Are there still competitions? How's the scene?

• Just played through Back to the Future: The Game. Point & click. Liked it. The Marty even sounded like Michael J Fox around the bttf time. About time they gave this franchise a decent expansion in the story
  • batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

Just played through Back to the Future: The Game. Point & click. Liked it. The Marty even sounded like Michael J Fox around the bttf time. About time they gave this franchise a decent expansion in the story

I bought the 1st disk on clearance and not knowing it was a series. I am really shocked by the positive reviews this game got. Their was some cute things here and the voice cast/acting was good but I was very disappointed. I passed on the whole set on PSN for like 10? and youtube'd the rest of the story just out of curiosity. More like the silly cartoon than the movie. Could be so fun IMO. I want a good time travel game.
    @Justin_TheBuck Yeah. I'm on the Blackgate server
  • @John_Steed Well the game has only been out for about 16 days now so there hasn't been any competitions but the PvP is very popular. They have new PvP modes. The game is a lot different than the first one but still a fun game to play.

@Mr_Cosmic I'm on Sorrows Furnace. How are you liking the game?
    edited August 2013
    @Justin_TheBuck So far it's OK. I wasn't involved in beta and I never played the first game. However I just got done with SWTOR and I'm having a hard time not comparing it to that. There are some things about GW2 that are better and others that just don't measure up. But, for no monthly fee, its hard to complain.

I do find that no defined roles can make grouping a little chaotic. For example, if an event starts, people just start slashing the invading monsters and no thought is put into healing, tanking, etc. Everyone has a heal and worries about their own well being. I haven't formed a group with anyone yet so maybe it's different in a dungeon setting?

The world is beautiful and places like Lions Arch(I think that's what the city is called) are worth just wandering around and taking in the sites.
  • No need to tell me about defined roles. The three biggest differences from GW1 to GW2 is the lack of defined roles,lack of true grouping and the skills system.

In the first there was something called the Holy Trinity. The HT was a warrior (tank),a monk (healer), and a DPS which really could be done by any class other than a monk (monk was really heal/support char) if you had the right build. Every group had the HT

By true grouping I mean setting up a party. It seems the only time anyone ever gets into a party in this game as far as PvE goes is dungeons.

In GW1 you had to find,buy and learn skills for the weapons/spells you wanted to use and pump points into the skill of the weapon you were using. So if you wanted a super strong sword wielding warrior you would dump the max amount of points into that skill set. If you wanted to have stronger shouts you'd pump points into that set, so on and so forth. It really did have much more depth than what we get in GW2. You have 4 diff skill sets, weapon which is based on the type of weapon you have,heal (everyone has a healing skill),utility which are defined by the class you pick and finally elite which is partly defined by the race you pick and maybe the class. I've only played one class so I don't know if the elites are diff or not other than for the race you pick.

I don't know how far in you are but wait till you hit some of the Sylvari (my race) areas. Just down right beautiful. And if you aren't doing so already,make sure you're hitting all the Vistas. The shots they show when you use them are so sweet.
    I had a hard time getting into GW1, so I'm not too eager to try GW2. I keep looking up stuff on the Norn.