Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1276 Talkback: Wild Pig Grand Reopening Recap

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited September 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
CGS was in Kenilworth, NJ this past weekend for the grand reopening sale at Wild Pig Comics. Hear about what we bought, what raffles we won and the future for the store. We also discuss the changes made with Tim Drake being Robin and throw in an announcement or two regarding CGS in 2013. (1:06:12)

Listen here.

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Congrats to Chris and crew on the reopening of the Wild Pig.

The Tim Drake thing is just lame. It doesn't matter how well DC can explain it, its lame and it shows poor planning and execution by DC. Does it matter, should matter since this is a "new" universe? To each his own opinion on it, but DC should have had it squared away before launching the New 52.

Yay for Supershow!!!!!

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Good episode guys. I like these sort of ones, where your out and about and such.

Pants, I can't believe how much of a magic touch you have when it comes to these Wild Pig raffles!

I've also downloaded the app, and like the couple of bonus bits on there already. I'm interested to see what other bonus treats you have up your sleeves.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    A digital provider changing content you've already paid for and downloaded isn't unheard of. Not long after the Kindle was released, a lot of people woke up one day to find the copy of, IIRC, 1984 that they downloaded was gone and their accounts had been credited back the purchase price because there was some sort of copyright issue. Amazon not only took the book down, they took it off everyone's devices (and I really hope it is 1984 that this happened with, because oh the delicious irony there). We all click through on those End User License Agreements, and I bet most of us never read 'em, so we agree to stuff like this all the time without ever really realizing it.
  • What about the easter egg? Can we talk about it here? now?
  • GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    edited September 2012
    Sounds like I'm going to have an expensive 2013!
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Congrats Matt!

Thanks.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Wow! Congrats Matt!

That'll teach me to turn the show off when I hear the closing music.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Congrats Matt!!!!
  • It is episodes of the Wild Pig recaps that boosts my interest in comics in hearing what the geeks bought or win in raffles. In the process of sharing the excitement to everyone (even those listeners outside the tri-state area). I hope the plans for CGS line up in 2013 according to plan.

Matthew
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @Matt CONGRATS (lots) - and wishing all the best for you and your (growing) family
  • Jamie D, no Charlito at SPX2012. We were discussing the long-lost never-posted and recently-unearthed show we did for SPX2005 (which we did not attend, we were just doing a news recap of what debuted/occurred). This year was just me and the Dutchman from Philly driving down.

Huge congrats to Matt!
  • 1) Congratulations, Matt!
    2) A pun for the people!
    3) Looking forward to finding out more about this Supershow!

Chris and the gang have a great setup. And with the subscription service (and prices in general), it's a no-brainer if you live in the area. I guarantee you will not find a nicer group of people running a comics shop!

This was my second Wildpig Show, and once again I came home with a longbox worth of 50¢ comics!
  • ajaxajax Posts: 5
    Congrats, Matt!

BTW, I bought Teen Titans No. 1 from Comixology when it first came out and I checked it again after I heard the podcast - it still says "Robin," not "Red Robin."
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Thanks for the congrats. I already tried getting some comic & cartoon based names as possible names, but my wife shot those down. Don't expect any of the following:

Bruce Wade (my father's first name is Wade)
    Calvin "Kal" L.
    Miguel (2099)
    Talia
    Felicia
    Angelica (for Jones, not Rugrats)
    Daphne

M
  • My cousin named his first son Ben. Then his second son Luke.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Congrats Matt!!!

That'll teach me for not listening til the end!
  • Congratulations to Matt. How about just naming him Batman?

Or actually, if you're looking for a real name, you could name him Robin. I know you're not a fan of Robin, but it means you could think of yourself as Batman (I know that's stretching it).

And I will also second what Ben said in bold print. Chris is the exact polar opposite of Comic Book Guy in every way and is just a really awesome guy even apart from anything comic book related. And he knows how to karaoke.

Regarding Teen Titans - Pants, you seem to be forgetting something. You don't own your downloaded comics. You're renting them from Comixology and as such it's theirs to edit as they see fit. Even if you did own them, I still get offered updates on plenty of other computer products I own. I just updated my iPhone yesterday and I own that. But either way, that's another argument against the DRM Comixology type service. If I download an mp3 from iTunes and later the artist decides to replace the guitar solo in that song because he didn't like it, he can't touch my copy of it.

And for those interested in the raffles, I won the Jack Kirby Hunger Dogs Graphic Novel. Haven't had the chance to read it yet (especially since I should be studying right now), but I can say it looks nice.
  • danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Matt said:

Thanks for the congrats. I already tried getting some comic & cartoon based names as possible names, but my wife shot those down.

Congrats Matt. I've already told my girlfriend that if we have a son we'll be calling him Kirby. She's not wild about the idea but I'm sure I can talk her round given time.
  • hessehesse Posts: 11
    Congratulations!! To:

Chris for the Grand Opening of the Wild Pig store!

Matt and Megan! To their lil' family member on the way!

Super Show 2014!

-E
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

My cousin named his first son Ben. Then his second son Luke.

awesome that :D
  • sandmansandman Posts: 199
    edited September 2012
    Hey Jamie, does your new prize mean that we will get some more Jamie's Essentials episodes? :)
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    sandman said:

Hey Jamie, does your new prize mean that we will get some more Jamie's Essentials episodes? :)

I need my Jamie's Essentials fix. And my Comics in Motion fix and my Comics with or without pulp fix.
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    Great episode guys, my random thoughts:

-Can we get pictures of the bookmarks? They sound incredible.
    -Matt's Easter Egg: awesome! Congrats of course, but more importantly are you going to name him Nowlan? Pretty cool nod to the movies since you like them so much.
    -Glad to hear the first appearance of Flash (and pretyt funny he was going around so fast Pants didn't even know it was him
    -Red Robin thing: yeah it's wierd, seems pretty lame to blow it into a big story, but that's the world we live in
    -Supershow: details!!
    Nick said:

-Matt's Easter Egg: awesome! Congrats of course, but more importantly are you going to name him Nowlan? Pretty cool nod to the movies since you like them so much.
    -Glad to hear the first appearance of Flash (and pretyt funny he was going around so fast Pants didn't even know it was him
    -Red Robin thing: yeah it's wierd, seems pretty lame to blow it into a big story, but that's the world we live in

I haven't listened to this episode yet. But if it is the bookmarks my mother made,I can scan mine later and post a picture. She does what is called counted cross stitch. I have the same Green Lantern one that most of the Geeks got.

• alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just listened! Great episode, announcements, presents, raffle winners, confusion about digital downloads, and and Easter Egg congratulations in order for Matt and Meg! Super Show, eh? I wonder when...?
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    dubbat138 said:

Nick said:

I haven't listened to this episode yet. But if it is the bookmarks my mother made,I can scan mine later and post a picture. She does what is called counted cross stitch. I have the same Green Lantern one that most of the Geeks got.

Yup @dubbat138 your Mom's bookmarks. Never heard of these and they sounds really impressive!
    Nick said:

dubbat138 said:

Nick said:

Yup @dubbat138 your Mom's bookmarks. Never heard of these and they sounds really impressive!

I need to scan mine. She has been making them for years now. But her arthritis in her hands is so bad now,the ones she made for the CGS guys might be the last she does.

That is the bookmark that everyone but Pant's got.