Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Kickstarter Thread - What are you backing?

Comments

• John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Trev said:

I wonder if anybody has considered backing every comic related item on kick starter at the minimum level to get the book and then tracking the results. Might be an interesting project and a decent blog.

Many projects offer exclusive blogs to their backers. Copy/Paste might be too tempting...... ;)
  • TrevTrev Posts: 310

Trev said:

I wonder if anybody has considered backing every comic related item on kick starter at the minimum level to get the book and then tracking the results. Might be an interesting project and a decent blog.

Many projects offer exclusive blogs to their backers. Copy/Paste might be too tempting...... ;)
    Kevin's comment and my own experience have me thinking that kick starter is a crazy mix of comics talent and projects. Pitches that never found a home, the great dreams of established creators, vanity projects, artists and writers trying to establish themselves all via a direct appeal to the fans.

I'm thinking about something that tracks projects to final completion, checks in on projects that fail, post mortems the experience, reviews the final product, and serves as an archive for everything tried, succeeded, and failed.

Anybody have an interest in something like that?
    Anybody have an interest in something like that?
    Bring it on!
  • TrevTrev Posts: 310
    wow -- it is insanely hard to see what is flowing into kickstarter. there is no way to easily see projects by category by date created or even to definitively get a list of all projects. i'm trying to figure it out.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I must admit I find kickstarter a nightmare to navigate. Like you say @Trev it's really hard to find projects. No date created or finite category's make it really hard to find good new projects. I'd to see categorys, date launched, date ending, project goals etc... Until they do that sort of thing I'm relying on CGS to tell me about good projects (i.e. Leaving Megalopolis) or what you guys are all recommending.
  • I've backed a few things on KickStarter, but, yeah, the navigation stinks. A simple, sorting search would be nice.
    they should just start a kickstarter to kickstart their navigation of kickstarter... [-(
    edited October 2012
    Kickstarter crowdfunding website launches in the UK

some excerpts:
    The site, on which users seek money for creative or product-based ideas, has so far raised more than $340m (£211m) - with 5% of each successful pledge going to Kickstarter.
    Since launching in 2009, more than 70,000 projects have been pitched on Kickstarter - with a success rate of just over 40%.
    "What people are getting from Kickstarter is not equity. They're getting early access, or signed t-shirts and so on.The investors in Kickstarter projects are doing it largely altruistically, it's not really a financial investment for them."
    The UK government has backed alternative funding models, saying that it is important small businesses have access to finance sources beyond "conventional bank lending".
    Should the UK site turn out to be equally successful as it's mothership - Kickstarter will spread all over the globe. In this economy they most likely will win.
  • Yeah Leaving Megalopolis was a pretty epic project, have been getting updates on the character designs-favorite so far has been fleet. Here's one to check out kickstarter.com/projects/389428422/angel-of-mercy-series-book-one
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    rsd3kb said:

Yeah Leaving Megalopolis was a pretty epic project, have been getting updates on the character designs-favorite so far has been fleet. Here's one to check out kickstarter.com/projects/389428422/angel-of-mercy-series-book-one

I'm assuming that the rsd has something to do with Robert Driscoll (attached to the kickstarter campaign referenced above). I can't speak for anyone else here, but acting like an buyer/backer rather than the creator does a pretty effective job on selling me on not backing the project.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @rsdkb There is nothing wrong with promoting your work and showing art, and the members here are supportive and open to that. But I agree that the best way to go about it is to introduce yourself and be transparent that what you are pointing people to is your work. That it is an act of promotion rather than of recommendation. And I am not assuming that you meant to mislead anyone.

But, as you didn't make it clear that what you were pointing people to is your own project (and as you were starting to promote it in some threads which really aren't the right place for it), I don't blame some of the members of being suspicious.

But it is not too late to start over-- rather than continuing to find various threads to post links and previews in, why not just go ahead and start a discussion that introduces yourself, shows some art, and asks for support? If you look back through pages of topics, you can find examples of people doing that. Here is a recent one.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    David_D said:

@rsdkb There is nothing wrong with promoting your work and showing art, and the members here are supportive and open to that. But I agree that the best way to go about it is to introduce yourself and be transparent that what you are pointing people to is your work. That it is an act of promotion rather than of recommendation. And I am not assuming that you meant to mislead anyone.

But, as you didn't make it clear that what you were pointing people to is your own project (and as you were starting to promote it in some threads which really aren't the right place for it), I don't blame some of the members of being suspicious.

But it is not too late to start over-- rather than continuing to find various threads to post links and previews in, why not just go ahead and start a discussion that introduces yourself, shows some art, and asks for support? If you look back through pages of topics, you can find examples of people doing that. Here is a recent one.

Your kung fu is strong. One day, Master David D, I hope to be ready to leave the temple.
  • DryBonesDryBones Posts: 26
    edited November 2012
    Boss Monster

kck.st/Tflrw9

It's a 16 bit video game themed card game. You play a level boss and build a dungeon designed to lure and kill more heroes than your opponants. Pop culture references included.
  • jthd35jthd35 Posts: 14
    does indie gogo count

Bandthology 2 a music anthology

www.indiegogo.com/bandthology2
    edited November 2012
    @AndresSalazar : consider yourself backed by me....soon....
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    OMG - a Larry Elmore Artbook?!? Holy crap I need to sell a kidney!
    The greatest work IN English literature, now in the greatest format OF English literature: a chooseable-path adventure!

Hamlet rewritten as choose-your-own-adventure game book

A choose-your-own-adventure version of Hamlet featuring jokes, ghosts and the previously unseen pirate fight scene, has raised more than six times its goal on Kickstarter in less than a week.

Ryan North, a Canadian comic book writer, launched his appeal on 21 November. In three-and-a-half hours it had raised its goal of $20,000 (£12,500), and today is at almost $150,000 and counting. His version of Hamlet will be called To Be Or Not To Be, and will be an illustrated, chooseable-path adventure story.

Readers will be able to opt to Hamlet ("an emo teen in his early 30s"), Ophelia ("She's got a +1 science stat, but she's also got a -1 weakness against water") or the King, Hamlet's father, "who (SURPRISE) dies on the first page and becomes a ghost. And then we make fun of you for dying on the first page, but you can become a ghost and must INVESTIGATE YOUR OWN MURDER that you TOTALLY SLEPT THROUGH because you got SLEEPY IN AN ORCHARD. ("Shakespeare wrote this part," said North.)

Readers can opt to follow the same choices as Shakespeare's characters, with "little Yorick skulls beside the 'canonical' choices", but North points out that "Shakespeare's choices didn't lead to the best ending for the characters. Not by a long shot." And although the story is told in modern language, there is the option to see the "big speeches" in Shakespeare's "original beautiful and fancy language".

"I've used the story of Hamlet as a starting point, but a) that's already a great story because it ends with pretty much everyone in it getting stabbed in the body and b) the story can go in all sorts of fun, crazy directions when you make a choice that Shakespeare didn't," said North. "Also unlike Shakespeare I didn't skip over the pirate scene in Hamlet. You get to fight PIRATES. With SWORDS. And yes OF COURSE you can choose which body part you cut off. Why would you write a book where you can't do that is my question."

The more money that is raised on Kickstarter by the appeal's end-date of 21 December, the more North will add to the book, including new illustrations by a range of artists – "the more money we raise, the more deaths get illustrated, until we have all 110 deaths done" – and a mini prequel adventure called Poor Yorick. The book will be published with Breadpig, which will donate 100% of its share of profits to the Canadian Cancer Society (North's wife was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma earlier this year).

"While we've been lucky enough to have a cancer that's been responding to treatment, cancer is still a terrible, terrible disease. By supporting this book, you're also supporting research for a cure. That is really cool," said North. "But all that aside, I've worked to include every amazing thing possible in a book like this. There's loops, alternate endings, secret paths and things that I'm pretty sure haven't even been done before in the medium."

As of Tuesday morning, 4,353 readers had pledged money to find out more.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Wow, this is going to be a beautiful book:

Peter Pan: The Graphic Novel - Vol. 1

• That Peter Pan book looks amazingly beautiful...I wish I had endless amounts of cash!
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

We just got FUNDED today!!

Very excited CGS peeps.

Andres

Pariah, Missouri – a comic book series
    Deadwood meets Bufy – supernatural team book in the Civil War era
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andresjsalazar/pariah-missouri-the-graphic-novel

Congrats!
    I supported you're project.
    @AndresSalazar : just backed you (sounds dirty). Right now it's the book only : $20(including shipping to Cheeseland). I'd love to get a signed print - but don't want any of the other. Is there a way to get the book with the print?
    not that my backing was needed:

$415,720
    pledged of $20,000 goal
    (and still 44 hours to go....)

but the project is awesome: The greatest work IN English literature, now in the greatest format OF English literature: a chooseable-path adventure!

Not only is it one of the most important books ever written - but the concept of turning it into a choose-your-own-adventure is too cool to pass on. And the list of artists involved is incredible:

Aaron Diaz (Dresden Codak)
    Alex Thomas (Star Wars: The Old Republic)
    Andrew Hussie (MS Paint Adventures)
    Andy Runton (Owly)
    Anthony Clark (Nedroid)
    Becky (Tiny Kitten Teeth)
    Braden Lamb and Shelli Paroline (Adventure Time, Ice Age)
    Brandon Bird (What Nat Saw, so many amazing paintings)
    Brian McLachlan (The Princess Planet)
    Carly Monardo (so many good things)
    Chip Zdarsky (The National Post, Extremely Bad Advice)
    Chris Hastings (The Adventures of Dr. McNinja)
    Chris Jones (Snowflakes)
    Danielle Corsetto (Girls With Slingshots)
    David Hellman (Braid, A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible, Second Quest)
    David Troupes (Buttercup Festival)
    Dave Kellett (Sheldon)
    David Malki (Wondermark)
    Dustin Harbin (Dharbin!)
    Dylan Meconis (Family Man, Outfoxed)
    Emily Carroll (The Prince And The Sea, so many others)
    Emily Partridge (Mount Pleasant Comics)
    Ethan Nicolle (Axe Cop)
    Faith Erin Hicks (Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong, Friends With Boys)
    Jeff Rowland (Overcompensating, Wigu)
    Jeph Jacques (Questionable Content)
    Jess Fink (Chester 5000 XYV)
    Jim Zubkavich (Skullkickers)
    John Allison (Bad Machinery, Scary Go Round)
    John Campbell (Pictures For Sad Children)
    John Keogh (Lucid TV)
    John Martz (Heaven All Day, Drawn.com)
    Jon Rosenberg (Scenes From A Multiverse)
    Kate Beaton (Hark! A Vagrant) (she did all spot illustrations you can see in the video and on this page!)
    Kate Leth (Kate or Die)
    Kazu Kibuishi (Amulet, Copper, Daisy Kutter),
    KC Green (Gunshow)
    Kean Soo (Jellaby)
    Kris Straub (Broodhollow, Chainsawsuit, Blamimation, Starslip)
    Lar deSouza (Least I Could Do, Looking for Group)
    Marlo Meekins (all the beautiful pictures)
    Matthew Inman (The Oatmeal)
    Meredith Gran (Octopus Pie, Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens)
    Mike Holmes (True Story, Bravest Warriors)
    Mike Krahulik (Penny Arcade, co-founder of Child's Play)
    Mike Maihack (Cleopatra In Space)
    Noelle Stevenson (Nimona, Gingerhaze) (she did the cover too! It's going to be AMAZING, you will totally see it if you keep reading)
    Randall Munroe (XKCD)
    Ray Fawkes (One Soul)
    Raynato Castro and Alex Culang (Buttersafe, Katamari Comic)
    Rebecca Clements (Kinokofry, Ruffle Hall)
    Rosemary Mosco (Bird And Moon)
    Ryan Pequin (Three Word Phrase)
    Sam Bosma (Turtle Soup)
    Sam Logan (Sam And Fuzzy)
    Scott Campbell (The Great Showdowns, Double Fine Action Comics)
    Steve Wolfhard (Cat Rackham, Adventure Time)
    Tony Cliff (Delilah Dirk)
    Tyson Hesse (Boxer Hockey)
    Vera Brosgol (Verabee, plus storyboards for ParaNorman and Coraline!)
    Wes and Tony (Amazing Super Powers)
    Zac Gorman (Magical Game Time, all the pretty pictures)
    Zach Weiner (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, plus Trial Of The Clone!)
    ... AND MORE (surprise artists? YES)
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Have to say that the e-mails from Jim Calafiore about the making of Leaving Megalopolis is worth the price of funding by itself.

Plus I'll get a nifty book in the next few months!
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Krescan said:

Have to say that the e-mails from Jim Calafiore about the making of Leaving Megalopolis is worth the price of funding by itself.

Yep. Really looking forward to that one.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Torchsong said:

Krescan said:

Yep. Really looking forward to that one.
    Totally agree with you both. I can't wait to get mine through!