Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Music Thread

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Favorite live album, probably Nirvana Unplugged. Close second: Johnny Cash’s At Folsom Prison.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I forgot about the Unplugged albums, Nirvana and Alice in Chains are both very good.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Favorite live album, probably Nirvana Unplugged. Close second: Johnny Cash’s At Folsom Prison.

Folsom Prison is only 2.99 to download today on Amazon, so I picked it up. I've listened to San Quentin so many times, I was surprised to see I didn't own this one as well. If it's even better (which I've heard is the case) it'll likely be high on my list. I wish I'd had the time to throw it on my iPod before leaving for work this morning.

I love Nirvana Unplugged, and it would probably rank higher for me if not for the stretch of Meat Puppets covers that dominates the end. Nothing against that band or those songs, but it always felt like a momentum killer for me, especially on the album where they include all three performances.

Two more that just sprung to mind: James Brown - Live At The Apollo and Judy Garland - Live At Carnegie Hall. Whether you're a fan or not (and aside from this album, there's little else I've listened to by Judy Garland), they're both those rare concert albums that capture the performer on a historic night. You don't even have to like the music to sense that there was something special going on in each of these performances.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    San Quentin is very good, but I think Folsom Prison is a bit stronger from start to finish. And, yeah, “Lake of Fire” is something of a weak spot on the album, but I liked the other covers. “Man Who Sold the World” is one of the highlights for me.
  • James Brown - Live At The Apollo?!

now that I gotta listen to!
  • larrylarry Posts: 125
    I am really into metal but I've been obsessed with Dream Theater lately. John Petrucci can absolutely shred.
  • Just off the top of my head

Metallica - Black Album
    Ramones - Rocket To Russia
    Ramones - Ramones
    Rollins Band - Nice
    Rollins Band - Get Some Go Again
    Rocketeer Soundtrack
    Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
    Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare
    Pearl Jam - Ten
    Pearl Jam - Vs
    Battlestar Galactica Soundtracks (Honestly, Bear McCreary is an awesome composer)
    The Good, The Bad & the Ugly Soundtrack - Ennio Morricone
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Guns N Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
    AC DC - Back In Black
    Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin
    PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    Black Flag - Damaged

... and I've probably got a lot more as well. I know that I'll be dropping back for this one.
  • 1. Mr.Saxobeat
    2.Florence and the machine
    3.True Blood soundtrack
    4.call me maybe (ipod)
    5.?????
  • kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    1. The King of Limbs, by Radiohead.
    2. Belle and Sebastion.
    3. Rumour and Sigh, by Richard Thompson.
    4. I've never downloaded any music.
    5. Nothing in particular.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ...and meanwhile over at NPR :
    Love And Rockets (And Music): Comic-Book Pioneers Gil & Jaime Hernandez
    "You could suppose that two brothers with a Spanish surname whose family roots extend to Mexico would have Mexican music as part of their musical DNA. But culture is a complex thing.

Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez are Mexican-American baby boomers from Oxnard, Calif., whose mother loved Elvis and comic books. The boys inherited their mom's love of comics while their own musical preferences gravitated toward rock — until they eventually fell under the spell of Southern California punk music.

They are the typically bicultural California Mexican-Americans or Chicanos who grew up speaking English, and whose favorite music was played with electric guitars rather than accordions. They're also pioneers in the world of comics: an intellectual frontier of words and art that not only amuse, but also teach us lessons about the world and ourselves.

In 1982, we met Margarita Luisa "Maggie" Chascarrillo and Esperanza Leticia "Hopey" Glass, two fictional Mexican-Americans created by the Hernandez brothers, who grew up on rock and not rancheras. Love and Rockets, along with Hopey and Maggie, revolutionized the world of comics. With the Hernandez brothers behind their thoughts and actions, there was no way the characters could end up as anything but bicultural.

As guest DJs, the Hernandez brothers brought in a handful of tracks that will either surprise you or reinforce your own upbringing (as it did mine), which is to say that there isn't a lot of Latin alternative music in this week's show. What we offer instead is a chance to get to know a little about growing up bicultural in this country, amid the cultural riches of both sides of our ancestry."

Love And Rockets (And Music): Comic-Book Pioneers Gil & Jaime Hernandez

• luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    1- Not sure when it was originally released, I think late 2011, but Bed of Nails by Wild Beasts is an amazing track.
    2- Warpaint - didn't think I'd like them but my brother got me the cd and I realised I really like them.
    3- The Killers - Battle Born - really good album, reminds me of George Harrison's solo stuff for some reason.
    4- don't download music. I need the cd.
    5- really looking forward to getting the new Vaccines album.

Favourite live album, easily The Cure's, Show. I can listen to that over and over.
    Here's one for everyone... What are some if you favourite lyrics???
    luke52 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdEMERq8MA

Will be played at my funeral - no joke.
    edited October 2012

luke52 said:

Will be played at my funeral - no joke.
    Absolutely class track. Don't know if you saw the Olympics closing ceremony. But he done that there and it was the highlight of the show. Also, one if the funniest films I've ever seen. Good shout!

By the way. My funeral track. Not as funny as yours. But still a classic track... The Smiths - There is a Light That Will Never Go Out.
  • chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    luke52 said:

By the way. My funeral track. Not as funny as yours. But still a classic track... The Smiths - There is a Light That Will Never Go Out.

I can't decide if my favorite would be that, or I Know It's Over, or Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before. All three rotate for the top position in my head.
    chrisw said:

luke52 said:

I can't decide if my favorite would be that, or I Know It's Over, or Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before. All three rotate for the top position in my head.
    I love all of those tracks. Love How Soon Is Now? too. To be honest though I like most stuff The Smiths done.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I have said for years I want "Sid Vicious-My Way" played at my funeral. I do enjoy Sinatra's version,But Sid's cover has this raw energy to it that I enjoy.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

Okay, it's a slow day so let's move on and add 5 more questions:

6) What's the best live show you've ever been to? Not necessarily in terms of your favorite band (unless it is) but who or what gave you the absolute best live experience (and venue may play a role as well).

7) What's the best cover song you've ever heard?

8) What artist or band are you willing to admit you like, though it may lessen your standing as a music-lover among the relative group of strangers who come to these forums :) ?

9) Sometimes movies based around a band's music can be awesome, like the Beatles with "Across the Universe". Sometimes they can be horrible, like the Beatles with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". What's your favorite/least favorite movie based around a band's music?

10) For one night, you can bring someone back from the dead/reunite one band for a one-shot gig, or reform a band at the peak of their talent. Who is it? Difficulty factor: No Zeppelin (Bonham).

This one, I can do!

6 - Pink Floyd - Division Bell @ Soldier Field in 1994. Lasers in the pouring rain. Utterly surreal!

7 - The Beach Boys doing Crocodile Rock. There are other covers on Two Rooms that are pretty freaking awesome, but they made that song their own.

8 - Murray Head? Chess was too much fun. Roxette might be a close second.

9 - You hit on the best examples. So much so that I'm blanking on anything else aside from the Last Waltz and Roger Water's Live at the Wall. Both of which are utterly awesome!

10 - Either the Ramones or Warren Zevon. I missed getting to see either in concert.
    hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

6) What's the best live show you've ever been to? Not necessarily in terms of your favorite band (unless it is) but who or what gave you the absolute best live experience (and venue may play a role as well).

8) What artist or band are you willing to admit you like, though it may lessen your standing as a music-lover among the relative group of strangers who come to these forums :) ?

9) Sometimes movies based around a band's music can be awesome, like the Beatles with "Across the Universe". Sometimes they can be horrible, like the Beatles with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". What's your favorite/least favorite movie based around a band's music?

10) For one night, you can bring someone back from the dead/reunite one band for a one-shot gig, or reform a band at the peak of their talent. Who is it? Difficulty factor: No Zeppelin (Bonham).

10 - Either the Ramones or Warren Zevon. I missed getting to see either in concert.

Never got to see Zevon. But did see the Ramones 3 times in concert. Sadly all three times was with CJ on bass and Marky on drums. Amazing shows,after the first time seeing them I had a ringing in my ears for 2 days. But I would have loved to see them when they had Dee Dee on bass and either Tommy or Richie on drums. I have some live recordings of when they toured with Richie in the band and they are so good. Johnny said in quite a few interviews that after the first tour with Richie they released each song was getting faster and faster.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Never got to see Zevon. But did see the Ramones 3 times in concert. Sadly all three times was with CJ on bass and Marky on drums. Amazing shows,after the first time seeing them I had a ringing in my ears for 2 days. But I would have loved to see them when they had Dee Dee on bass and either Tommy or Richie on drums. I have some live recordings of when they toured with Richie in the band and they are so good. Johnny said in quite a few interviews that after the first tour with Richie they released each song was getting faster and faster.
    Yeah, I saw that about Richie as well. They were doing a 60 minute set in something like 45 minutes, if I remember the interview correctly.
    edited October 2012
    dubbat138 said:

I have said for years I want "Sid Vicious-My Way" played at my funeral. I do enjoy Sinatra's version,But Sid's cover has this raw energy to it that I enjoy.

Nice. Wasn't this song also playing during some end credits? What movie was it? Anybody know?

(don't wanna google now....)

• dubbat138 said:

Nice. Wasn't this song also playing during some end credits? What movie was it? Anybody know?

Goodfellas
    Me and a few mates have discussed a few of these in great depth. I can't always just pick one. It's just way to hard, so I'll just list my short lists for each.

6 - Paul McCartney - Hyde Park,
    Them Crooked Vultures - Portsmouth Pyramids (with a line up of John Paul Jones, Dave Ghrol and Josh Homme in about a 750 captivity place was just incredible),
    Kasabian - Portsmouth Pyramids,
    Foo Fighters - Milton Keynes Bowl,
    Last Shadow Puppets - Portsmouth Guildhall.

7- greatest cover is Noel Gallagher doing The Smiths There is a Light... this was done live with a full orchestra, just stunning,
    followed by Boy Kill Boy - Man Eater, a but if a guilty pleasure, but still fun.

8- Take That - they're new stuff is awesome.

9- Not sure if this counts but Quadrophenia has some great music in it.

10- easy, The Beatles. Followed by Zep if they were allowed. I'd love to see The Smiths back together for a gig too. Cream would also be on my list.

dubbat138 said:

Goodfellas
    Thanks B-)
    hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Yeah, I saw that about Richie as well. They were doing a 60 minute set in something like 45 minutes, if I remember the interview correctly.
    Yep Richie had amazing speed when playing the drums.It sucks how he got treated by Johnny.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2013
    Has anybody seen or have plans to see Sound City?

I'm downloading it after work today. I'm a sucker for this kinda project.

"Deep in the San Fernando Valley, amidst rows of dilapidated warehouses, was rock n' roll's best kept secret: Sound City. America's greatest unsung recording studio housed a one-of-a-kind console, and as its legend grew, seminal bands and artists such as Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, Metallica and Nirvana all came out to put magic to tape. Directed by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and featuring interviews and performances from the iconic musicians who recorded some of rock’s greatest albums at the studio, Sound City doesn’t just tell the story of this real-life rock ’n’ roll shrine, it celebrates the human element of music as Grohl gathers some of rock's biggest artists to collaborate on a new album. Using Sound City's legendary analog console, together these artists continue to create musical miracles in a digital world."

Paul McCartney is there as well and contributes to the album.
  • Greg said:

Has anybody seen or have plans to see Sound City?

I'm downloading it after work today. I'm a sucker for this kinda project.

"Deep in the San Fernando Valley, amidst rows of dilapidated warehouses, was rock n' roll's best kept secret: Sound City. America's greatest unsung recording studio housed a one-of-a-kind console, and as its legend grew, seminal bands and artists such as Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, Rick Springfield, Tom Petty, Metallica and Nirvana all came out to put magic to tape. Directed by Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) and featuring interviews and performances from the iconic musicians who recorded some of rock’s greatest albums at the studio, Sound City doesn’t just tell the story of this real-life rock ’n’ roll shrine, it celebrates the human element of music as Grohl gathers some of rock's biggest artists to collaborate on a new album. Using Sound City's legendary analog console, together these artists continue to create musical miracles in a digital world."

Paul McCartney is there as well and contributes to the album.

Sounds right up my alley. I actually ran sound at a small night club for a few months back in the ’90s, and I love the production side of music. I definitely want to see this.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Been a while since I dropped in on this thread. Forgive me for playing catch up.

6) Best live show ever for me was also one of my first, the Juliana Hatfield Three back in 1994. Hadn't really heard too much about or from her before then, I just went because my friends were going and it was so rare that we had a decent act come so close to our town. And out comes this cute as can be woman with her band singing the sort of songs about suburban ennui and wanting to get out of the town and all of the things you constantly think about in high school. An awesome night out with friends, music from someone who "got it" (who would go on to become one of my very favorite musical artists of all), and the rare night at age 17 where you're just happy to be alive.

7) Best cover song is kind of hard to define, but my favorite is probably They Might Be Giants' cover of Cub's "New York City." Awesome song about refinding lost love that TMBG totally make their own.

8) I have to admit, I kinda dig Neil Diamond. The man wrote some catchy songs. Also, Emma Bunton, a.k.a. Baby Spice... her solo album as just Emma, called "Free Me," is surprisingly fantastic. Very much in a Dusty Springfield/Petula Clark vein through an early '00s filter.

9) Favorite movie based around a band's music is Yellow Submarine... so much cleverness in writing and animation there. Least favorite is probably Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Not a very original choice, I know, but man is that awful.

10) Well, both the Pixies and the Blake Babies did get back together at one point or another (not that I got to see either of them the first time around or the reunion(s)), so they're out. I have to go with the Ramones, I guess.