Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Audible? They advertise on This American Life too...crap, I hope they don't kick Ira Glass off ;)

Marc Meron pulled the curtain back on Audible's ads, so if you want to know all about them, just listen to WTF. He talks WAY too much about nuts and bolts, making it easy for people to glom onto his ideas....

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I hear what you're saying SolitaireRose. I guess the show is kind of a business and these sort of things really need to be kept between the involved parties. I guess one of the reasons everyone is so interested is the fact that the show just feels like a group of friends sitting around shooting the shit. I just hope we still get that feeling from the show going forward. I'm sure we will so I'm not worried.
  • Options
    Standing Ovation.
  • Options
    "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Bravo CaptShazam! Bravo! =D>
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    random73 said:

I think I'm just naive. I still felt like CGS was a bunch of friends hanging out talking geek shit more than a business venture. I didn't think you could fire your friends. So, the curtain has been pulled back on the business end of it and and don't like what I'm seeing.

Well, I listen to a lot of podcasts/radio shows. Some I know for certain the players make absolutely no money off whatsoever. Some make a lot. Some just a little. I sense, unless I'm greatly mistaken, that the money side of the CGS podcast is not a lot.

I don't know what the situation is with Mike, or with other people who might have left in the past. But to me I highly doubt Mike leaving is because of money. Friends disagree. Friends who engage in community sports break up, friends playing fantasy football break up, it just kinda happens. Without knowing more it'd be hard to say for sure, I just doubt that money was the factor in this.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

As the owner of the London con is the one who wanted me sacked, that won't be happening.
    I will make it abroad someday.

OK, so now we know a little more behind the scenes of what happened.

jaydee74 said:

When you have sponsors like DCBS and whoever else sponsors the show not to mention when you have your own convention of sorts, (Super-Show) you do have to treat it a bit like a business.

The most recent episode, where Deemer mentions that Mike won't be on the show anymore, he also does an ad for a new sponsor, Audible. Coincidence? Is this another clue to the puzzle?
    Again, as a listener to many podcasts, Audible sponsers many of them. Its what they do. I don't see how its possible that could be related to Mike, but maybe there was a disagreement over how many sponsers the show could have. Who knows. I personally doubt it was about money, but maybe it was.

Anyway, highly doubt it was about Audible. They advertise on many shows, both big and small.

• Options
    Really disappointed to see Mike go. I really enjoyed his unique and very knowledgeable viewpoint along his great personality he brought to the show. I thought he was also pretty committed to the show too, submitting his top 5s and pick of the month for previews even while not being able to make a show and being the most active host on the forum.

Good luck to you Mike and your projects in the comic world. I hope to hear you on some of the other podcasts I listen to and I'll be on the lookout for comics you work on!
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    "Flick says he saw some grizzly bears near Pulaski's candy store!"
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

Really disappointed to see Mike go. I really enjoyed his unique and very knowledgeable viewpoint along his great personality he brought to the show. I thought he was also pretty committed to the show too, submitting his top 5s and pick of the month for previews even while not being able to make a show and being the most active host on the forum.

Good luck to you Mike and your projects in the comic world. I hope to hear you on some of the other podcasts I listen to and I'll be on the lookout for comics you work on!

agreed. Mike is/was BY FAR the most active host on the forums. Made me feel a bit like he was one of us.

Gabba! Gabba! We accept you! We accept you! One of us!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Audible and Stamps.com are podcasting advertising beasts.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I'm not going to address anyone in particular, but I am seeing a lot of posts saying "I want to know what6 happened" or "Why isn't there more discussion"...

I have worked in HR for a LONG time, and when someone leaves, the company they leave really can't say much of anything. That's why you get the cliche of "So and so is no longer employed here and we wish them well in their future endeavors." They usually can't say if someone left or was let go, laid off or fired with cause or anything else. Now, the person who left can say whatever they want, as the rules are all about THEIR rights.

Myself? I don't want to know what happened. It's none of my business, and I learned the hard way that digging into things like this can sour things for me.

For example: A podcast I really enjoyed announced that one of the co-hosts wou8ld be leaving. They had a goodbye show, and I sent an e-mail to the co-host and host thanking them for the years of great shows. The new co-host came on, and the show was different...still good, but different and I grew to like the new version of the show.

People kept sending in questions as to why the co-host left, and for the longest time, they demurred...then the co-host started slandering the original host and all hell broke loose. The reason for the co-host's firing came out in all of the gory detail, and after a number of audios from both sides, I, as a listener, felt like crap. An entertainment show turned into an ugly workplace dispute and I just didn't enjoy listening that much any more.

It was none of my business and I wished it had stayed that way.

So, Mike, I hope you go forth and do wonderful things and enjoy them. CGS guys, I hope you continue to make entertaining shows and work to build a sense of community for us comic book fans who are still here in days of dwindling sales.

And...how long until Professor X is alive again? I'm putting it at 3 years.

If someone were to say, use the brain to gain powers (maybe transfer their personality into Charles' brain), would THAT count? Are you looking at his brain in his body with his zig-zag eyebrows?

M

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    @MikeGallagher I hope you keep us abreast of any future podcasts you'll be doing. And any future comic work you do. I loved what you added to Rex Zombie Killer.
  • Options
    Oh I'll be here until the Man stops me, which we all know is coming eventually.
    I'm on a future ep of the Greencast (weird I know since I don't like green lantern but they are good guys), its looking like I may be a regular on everything leads to 2000ad, and I'll be on black Tribbles again soon. There are tons of podcasters that want the Gallagher rhetoric!
    The only ill will I have towards CGS lies in the man behind the scenes and some issues that relate to him and my getting into the comic industry.
    Will I Peter-bash finally? No.
    What's the point? Peter doesn't mean anything to me or my life.
    Having my friends boot me out of the club stings. Not being permitted to say goodbye is hardly amicable.

I love CGS. I have no intention of fueling drama on the forums.
    If you want straight talk from me, ask me on my Facebook or twitter or DM me.

None of this has to do with audible or any other sponsor.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

KyleMoyer said:

KyleMoyer said:

random73 said:

KyleMoyer said:

In the interest of honesty, I have to ask if I'm the only one who found those two official statements to be very "PC" and sound like they were written by a PR firm?

Nope. Not just you. Didn't say much did it? What hideous sin does one do to get fired from a podcast?
    Masturbating on the air.
    I love that someone considered this "insightful."
    Maybe it is Pants that masturbates while recording. Might explain his changes in the pitch of his voice. ;)

Don't forget Pants is a Muppet after all!
  • Options

Yup. The forum community is exactly that, a forum community. It does not imply or in any way grant participation in the show. I think people lose sight of that sometimes.

Here! Here! You betcha...
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Peter

Not surprised the subject of his twitter-tirade a few weeks back plays into it.

• Options
    I'm genuinely shocked. I liked Mike a lot and it seemed to me that he, Pants and Jamie D had been keeping the show going these last few months. Still whatever happened in private should stay that way. There's nothing worse than when forums descend in sniping and bitchiness. All the best Mike and I'm sure I'll come across you again in the future.
  • Options
    lee73lee73 Posts: 3
    I have been listening to CGS for most of the last year. (I just got back into comics with "The New 52" after years and years away) Anyway, this is my first post and I just registered to say that I wish Mike all the best in the future. He really seemed to know his stuff and added a lot to the shows. I will second what some people have already said, the more "geeks" on an episode, the better the show tends to be, so hopefully there will be another voice or two added, or returning, to fill in the void. Best of luck, Mike.

As someone with a little bit of experience in HR, I will admit I find it a little odd that Mike wasn't allowed to say any goodbyes on the podcast itself, but yet still has forum access. Past experience tells me this isn't going to end well. I hope you guys can prove me wrong though. Take care.

• Options
    The number of Facebook friends has been increasing. I also received three comics job offers today.
    There has been so much love and positivity.
    The haters aren't hating like usual. Must be off partying.

Maybe Deemer could kick me off again when I get these books done?

In HR matters, the terminated employee gets to know the reasons they were terminated.
    One can view their employee file as well.
    Terminating a friend? Not so much.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited October 2012

The number of Facebook friends has been increasing. I also received three comics job offers today.

In HR matters, the terminated employee gets to know the reasons they were terminated.

I've never heard of terminated employees getting to review their personnel files. Interesting. I have always been told employees have no rights with regard to their own personnel files. I get complete access to employee personnel files (except anything medical) when I am conducting an investigation because they are the property of the company, not the employee. That's why I do not need the employee's permission to review and get copies of it.

Some of the things I have found in files would not be good for an employee to see.

M.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I feel bad I dont think I know who Mike Gallagher is? I visit the forum daily but dont listen to the show religiously anymore, but dont remember hearing the name or a different voice.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Matt said:

I've never heard of terminated employees getting to review their personnel files. Interesting. I have always been told employees have no rights with regard to their own personnel files. I get complete access to employee personnel files (except anything medical) when I am conducting an investigation because they are the property of the company, not the employee. That's why I do not need the employee's permission to review and get copies of it.

Some of the things I have found in files would not be good for an employee to see.

M.

A quick google search tells me that it varies by state and in Pennsylvania, Mike is indeed correct.

Pennsylvania

43 Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. §§ 1321 to 1324

Employers affected: All.

Employee access to records: Employer must allow employee to inspect personnel record at reasonable times. (Employee’s agent, or employee who is laid off with reemployment rights or on leave of absence, must also be given access.) Unless there is reasonable cause, employer may limit review to once a year by employee and once a year by employee’s agent.

Written request required: At employer’s discretion. Employer may require the use of a form as well as a written indication of the parts of the record employee wants to inspect or the purpose of the inspection. For employee’s agent: Employee must provide signed authorization designating agent; must be for a specific date and indicate the reason for the inspection or the parts of the record the agent is authorized to inspect.

Conditions for viewing records: Employee may view records during regular business hours at the office where records are maintained, when there is enough time for employee to complete the review. Employer may require that employee or agent view records on their own time and may also require that inspection take place on the premises and in the presence of employer’s designated official.

Copying records: Employer not obligated to permit copying. Employee may take notes.

Employee’s right to insert rebuttal: The Bureau of Labor Standards, after a petition and hearing, may allow employee to place a counterstatement in the personnel file, if employee claims that the file contains an error.
  • Options
    JDick said:

These other guys all grew up together. If there was a dispute it is Deemer's show and Mike is out. These other dudes are lifelong friends. When you hear about their time spent with each other outside the show his name doesn't come up (cons, parties, etc.). The idea that this was a friend getting rid of another friend is a stretch. I think these were just two guys who worked together and now they don't.

I was not friends with them as long as they had been with each other but we were friends. I had met many of them before I knew what podcasting was.

• Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    edited October 2012

M.

So I got fired from a business?
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

CGS theater presents: a few good podcast hosts

Murd:  "Deemer, did you order the Code Red on Gallagher?"
    Jamie D: "You don't have to answer that question!"
    Deemer: " I'll answer the question!"
    Deemer: Murd, You want answers?
    Murd: "I think I'm entitled to."
    Deemer: "You want answers?"
    Murd: "I want the truth!"
    Deemer: "You can't handle the truth!"
    [pauses]

Deemer: Murd, we live in a world that has podcasts, and those podcasts have to be hosted by geeks with comics. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Pants? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Gallagher, and you curse CGS. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Gallagher's firing, while tragic, probably increased sponsorships. And my appearances, while infrequent and rare to you, increases downloads. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about on the forum, you want me on this podcast, you need me on this podcast. We use words like floppy, trade paperback, Hardcover. We use these words as the backbone of a podcast spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very podcast that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a microphone, and start your own podcast. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Murd: "Did you order the Code Red?"
    Deemer: I did the job I...
    Murd: "Did you order the Code Red?"
    Deemer: "You're GD right I did!"

I'm thinking pretty much every Tom Cruise movie would be improved if Murd was put in place of Tom.