Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Mike Gallagher kicked off the show

Comments

• KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Multi-lingual version of a caption this contest. What are they saying in that section that starts at 4:37? (If you know Japanese, that doesn't count unless what they're really saying is even more bizarre/funny than whatever we can come up with.)
  • KyleMoyer said:

The Japanese are not to be outdone by The Shake Weight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MzzLsJEzR8&feature=share

:-O
    :-j
    =))
  • Is it bad that I would actually consider buying this thing?

Is it bad that I would actually consider buying this thing?

Not at all.
  • That's Korean not Japanese.

That's Korean not Japanese.

oops

fixed
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I saw a video with a machine kind of like that. Only it was stationary with what looked like a speed control on it. The women seemed to really enjoy it.
  • As a Doctor WHO fan I should know better than to blink - but I did.
    Fortunately, the angels only sent me eight pages back in time and you kids keep journals.

I'm sad to see yet another podcaster leave the show, and even sadder that the circumstances surrounding the departure aren't devoid of misgivings. However, whatever transpired behind the scenes, it is not something I feel the need to be privy to.

What I will say is that I wish Mike all the best in whatever future comic book related endeavors he pursues (& non-comic book related ones for that matter). Hopefully, when I finally get around to reading Love & Rockets his brain will be accessible to pick (preferably with the rest of his body still attached). Though at the rate I'm reading comics these days, I haven't ruled out a Futurama scenario.

As for my own thoughts on the matter: I listen to CGS and several other podcasts because the respective hosts and I share common interests. With the exception of Bryan Deemer, I've not had the pleasure of meeting any of the CGS hosts in person. In addition to CGS, there are a couple other comic book related podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis. Some of these other shows are hosted by personal acquaintances that live nearby. I mention the local podcasters because several of them I've been friends with for years. I know their families, hang out with their kids, and frequently visit their homes. When I listen to their podcasts, I am incapable of distancing myself from our friendships. Now, I've listened to CGS since episode 30 (31? - thereabouts anyway), and while I don't consider the hosts of CGS to be intimate friends, a certain amount of kinship has conferred as a result of our shared interests, the time I've invested in this show, and the sense of community that CGS was founded on. To that end, the hosts of this show are very much like friends, and whenever one leaves, a part of me feels as if I've lost a friend.

Well said. I'm available on Facebook and am on a couple other podcasts. More in the works. We definitely need to talk L&R!!!
  • steve_bryantsteve_bryant Posts: 96
    edited October 2012
    Quick question: Did you "dislike" the previous post because I wished Mike luck, or because of the quotes?

The quotes are practically a mantra for me, and I think all creatives can get something out of them. :)

Or was the "dislike" because I referred to the ShakeWeight again without posting visual aids?
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    That Korean "fitness device"...

I can just see some Bronies buying it and naming it "Pinkie Pie."
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    @steve_bryant one of my favorites: "Success is going from one failure to the next with no loss of enthusiasm"
    -Winston Churchill
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

D'oh! Sorry, in my ShakeWeight-induced euphoria, I forgot to wish Mike luck...

Good luck, Mike. Illustration, and comics in particular, are a tough racket. I have three quotes that inspire me in my own pursuits:

Try again. Fail again. Fail better. —Samuel Beckett

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. —Jack London

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. —Howard Roarke, from The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Who the hell dislikes a post like that? Three really terrific quotes.

I hold to an Ayn Rand (as unsavory as she can be) quote from Fountainhead as well - I don't intend to build in order to have clients; I intend to have clients in order to build.
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited October 2012
    A toast to those who wish us well, and those who don't, can go to hell.
  • KyleMoyer said:

Quick question: Did you "dislike" the previous post because I wished Mike luck, or because of the quotes?

The quotes are practically a mantra for me, and I think all creatives can get something out of them. :)

Or was the "dislike" because I referred to the ShakeWeight again without posting visual aids?

Let's not kid ourselves. We all know damn well it's because you wished Mike well. When there was that one day during the last bit of forum drama where the people who liked and disliked were visible we all got a first hand look at the immaturity and high school level behavior of certain people and this time it's only gotten worse.

So if you get a dislike for treating someone like a human being wear it as a badge of honor. It means you're one of the grown-ups here.
    I didn't know if it was that or using an Ayn Rand quote. :)
  • Personally, I think it's a shame it couldnt have been dealt with better. Everyone on the show is an adult and no matter what problems were caused on or off air, it didnt need to end with somone getting their marching orders.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. maybe some geeks need to keep a check on their ego's in future. bad form guys.

Good luck to Mike in the future.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited October 2012

:-bd

http://youtu.be/1kcYdNdlCfU
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2012

KyleMoyer said:

Let's not kid ourselves. We all know damn well it's because you wished Mike well. When there was that one day during the last bit of forum drama where the people who liked and disliked were visible we all got a first hand look at the immaturity and high school level behavior of certain people and this time it's only gotten worse.

So if you get a dislike for treating someone like a human being wear it as a badge of honor. It means you're one of the grown-ups here.
    I'm pretty sure it was the latter. A bunch of folks *hate* her and her disciples.

:-bd

http://youtu.be/1kcYdNdlCfU
    That's exactly what I was thinking of. You're awesome for getting that.
    WetRats said:

KyleMoyer said:

I'm pretty sure it was the latter. A bunch of folks *hate* her and her disciples.
    ... I don't even know who she is.
  • brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    warpangel said:

Everyone on the show is an adult and no matter what problems were caused on or off air, it didnt need to end with somone getting their marching orders.

Do you think there is nothing someone could do that would justify being removed? Seriously?

Bry

• random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    brydeemer said:

warpangel said:

Everyone on the show is an adult and no matter what problems were caused on or off air, it didnt need to end with somone getting their marching orders.

Do you think there is nothing someone could do that would justify being removed? Seriously?

Bry

sure @brydeemer but this is a little like a tenured professor getting booted from a university. it happens so rarely you can rest pretty much assured that when it does happen somebody got molested. this, so far, doesn't look sufficiently scandalous to merit summary dismissal. It looks like a Railroad job and having been on the wrong side of the train before i feel some serious sympathy for Mike.
  • phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    brydeemer said:

warpangel said:

Bry

Reading between the lines - I have a feeling you were put in a difficult situation.

Carefully reading the posts by the actual people involved in this matter, people can probably and with reason piece together the situation. If I am "reading between the lines" correctly, the action taken was the only thing that could happen.

Good luck to Mike. Best wishes. Onward and upward. This is all water under the bridge and truly does not concern us or the quality of the show. CGS is truly an ensemble act and one person does not make or break the quality of the show. Although Jamie D is the best geek and carries those other pikers on his back. ;) :))

There's a life lesson here for everyone - No one is irreplaceable. Remember that next time you start to smart mouth people. Or conduct yourself in a manner that may be unbecoming for your company. Think about it... Henry Ford is dead, but his company continues to this day and he has done nothing for over 60 years to contribute to its success. Steve Ditko left Spider-man.... and only after his departure did ASM become the flagship title at Marvel. And Stan Lee was pretty much gone when Hulk #181 and Giant X-Men #1 were published. Just saying.
  • KoenKoen Posts: 11
    Just got word of the departure of Mike. I ... can't ... believe .... this ... Damn !
    I happened to share a lot of Mike's opinions and I also loved the fact that he looked beyond DC and Marvel for his reading pleasures. His voice is also nice to listen to. I keep listening to the CGS podcast, but I must admit that the show has gotten weaker since Bryan Deemer has taken a break, as much as I love the other guys. You will need to step up your game and get someone new with a broader view of the world of comics, like Mike has.
    And there I was hoping that Mike could come along to London next year... Bummer.