Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1293 Talkback: Ridin' the Storm Out

Comments

• Options
    NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    What am I, in the Twilight Zone. No.... "We have a special treat for you tonight" or "Peter and Kevin are with us tonight" ....introductions??? Was I listening to an episode recorded in 2006! I can imagine how excited you all were when everyone showed up for the episode and you had a mini-reunion prior to recording. While I'm still a loyal listener and listen to every show, it was good to hear Peter's voice and comments on CGS. And what a treat it was to hear Kevin. His insights on the movie industry and background as an artist filled a recent gap in the show's expertise. Good to hear Bryan back. More of the same, please, and add a barking dog every once in a while.
  • Options
    Wow. I thought everyone was overselling this. IT. WAS. GREAT.

I hadn't realized how much I missed this dynamic. Stellar episode, gentlemen.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Great episode. I barely noticed how much time had past by. Hopefully these type of episodes will continue to happen.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Okay, I get the picture; White Tigers, Lords of Death, guys in funny suits throwing plastic explosives while poison arrows fall from the sky and the Pillars of Heaven shake, huh?! Okay, I see; Charlie Chan, Fu Manchu, and a 100 Howling Monkey temples and THAT'S just for starters, right? Fine, I'm back, goddam it. Let me at them!

M.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Regarding the Justice League movie. With Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 coming out that summer it wouldn't surprise me if that got moved to the fall say November
  • Options

Funny conversations filled with Marvel Now Snarkiness.

While I understand this "here we go again" attitude from Jamie and Peter, I'm not sure what new "buzz words" marvel's marketers could use other than "It's a new direction/great jumping on point , etc." like they did with the POINT ONE initiative.

On last years Marvel Movies tanking ? Sorry but I think Peter was a little wrong .

Thor made $181,030,624 Domestic and $268,295,994 Foreign. It cost 150 million

Cap Made $176,654,505 Domestic and $191,953,858 Foreign costing 140 million

http://boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=summer11comicvs.htm

While they obviously werent Avengers Or Dark Knight explosinve hits those aren't failure numbers either .

Maybe Pete was thinking about 2010, when Scott Pilgrim and that crop of hero films didn't live up to expectations?

I think they could also say "great jumping off point (one)!" These stunts always turn me away. If I didn't stop with Spidey back during BND, this would've been the nail in the coffin for me.

I agree with Jamie, Marvel should've done what DC didn't; relaunch everything completely. I'd still not collect the issues, but then it wouldn't be this 1/2 assed approach (verses DC's 95% relaunch approach.)

M
  • Options
    After listening to this episode, I think you've convinced me that the multiple exclusive variants are a good thing. Why? Because following the math needed to make money, it means that a lot of these $3.99 books will be in dollar bins before too long and I can still read them and they're just pure profit for the retailer since they made the money from selling the variant. Sounds win-win to me.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    =D>

'Nuff said.
  • Options
    This is that OG CGS right here. Y'all got to figure out how to do this at least every two months. Got my man Kevin on there. Oh and for Kevin you know what they could add to Spidey to make it interesting and not be dark...

Marveller/leopardon! A giant robot would be awesome.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    So had this been in the works for a while, was it attempt to make a clean break from all the drama (real or imagined), was it a happy accident because everyone happened to be home and available (whether due to Sandy or not), or any combination of these factors? No matter the case, it was EXACTLY the right episode at the right time, but still, I'm curious to hear how it all came together. But only if you feel like sharing, of course. :D
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Mr_Cosmic said:

That image says it all...wow I didn't realize how much I missed the whole crew together.

• Options
    Just finished listening to the episode. This is why I started listening to CGS.
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhh, now THAT'S what I'm talking about. I haven't gotten a CGS fix like that in YEARS!!! And with no annoying jokes forcing laughter, too! ( :-\" )

Seriously, guys...great work. This is why I've listened to well over 2000 hours of you...which means I've spent over 83 days just listening to your stuff. THIS episode is why. Please more because that statistic scared me quite a bit and I'd like my life to be wasted on fantastic shows like THAT!
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    wow. wow. wow. Just popped open this ep in the car...was half listening..and then holy shit!!! wow!!! The gangs all here!!!!!! wow. 15 minutes in - I'm going to be enjoying this baby!!!!!! whooo!!!

e
    L nny
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I am behind on my episodes due to the storm messing up my life at the moment but reading this makes me jazzed to hear it.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Okay, I get the picture; White Tigers, Lords of Death, guys in funny suits throwing plastic explosives while poison arrows fall from the sky and the Pillars of Heaven shake, huh?! Okay, I see; Charlie Chan, Fu Manchu, and a 100 Howling Monkey temples and THAT'S just for starters, right? Fine, I'm back, goddam it. Let me at them!

M.

Is that what Jack Burton always says?

• Options

Matt said:

M.

Is that what Jack Burton always says?

Sadly, only on the deleted scenes!

M
  • Options
    I'm up way to late finishing some commission's, put on this episode, it brought tears to hear you guys all back together, thanks! :)
  • Options
    Concerning Bryan and Kevin's comments about the usability of a mini-sized tablet for reading comics, I say "try it you might like it." I purchased a 7-inch Polaroid tablet for $60 last year just for kicks and discovered that its portability and convenience outweighed its screen size. I have old eyes but with Comixology's tech, i get the detail of each panel. I'm an old time comic book reader and didn't like the panel to panel style of reading but now it works for me. The tablet also is the perfect size to read regular books. Beats dragging that big iPad around. I'm sure the mini is a great product but dont overlook less expensive Android-based tablets. Just saw that Walgreen's is selling a new 7.9-inch tablet for just $125. It's a great way to ease into digital reading. You can always upgrade hardware later.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    HassanT said:

Wow. You can go back home!!! Great episode guys!!

You beat me to it HassanT
    Exactly what I was going to say, verbatim. This was a lot of fun!
  • Options
    Truthfully, the day leading up to this recording, I'd listen to the Avengers theme from the movie & "We're in this Together" by NiN (used in the Avengers trailers.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I forgot to say when I finished the episode-- great show, guys. That was a treat.
  • Options
    WoodWood Posts: 19
    What in the hellllllllllllllll is going on around here?

First I hear Mario and Bryan chatting a top 5 list. Then I listen to this ep and hear a Drawerbox intro and then...do my ears deceive? EVERYONE and IN STUDIO no less. Holy FRAK, how in the heck did this come about?

In any event, it was an awesome treat. Really brought me back. About halfway through the episode I'm thinking, "what's next...Stump the Rios?" and then BAM! Stump. The. Mofuggin. Rios.

Not sure if this was a special get together or what, but if this is a sign of things to come, I'm very happy to say the least.
  • Options
    Add my voice to the one that loved this. THIS is why I listen to CGS.

Now, when it comes to Marvel Now and all of the new number ones...my my Podcast, Peter gave my co-host and I the question "Where will comics be in 5 years" and I talked about my theory that Marvel will move (if they haven't already) that numbering has changed, and they will renumber for EVERY big creative change. Bendis comes on the X-Men for a run? It gets a new #1 and is canceled when he leave for a new series when the next writer comes on. It shows to me that Marvel is creator focused while DC is editorially focused and writers are replaced in the middle of stories...probably because editorial is plotting the books, just like Marvel in the 90's.

Marvel Now is a lot like Dark Reign or Heroic Age: The event is over, things have changed and there is a new status quo. And, when this phase ends, there will be a new overall arcing umbrella and so on.
  • Options
    This truly was an all star cast. Loved hearing you all together just geeking out and talking about what you are reading. It was a great free for all and made me miss having the large ensemble together. Hope we get more of these large number of host episodes.
  • Options
    TobyToby Posts: 91
    flashback cafe...loved it.
  • Options
    Wow, I can't say it enough, THANK YOU! This episode was truly a gift to the listeners.

I don't want to seem greedy and ask for more like this, but is definitely love more of at least most I you together.

Man to have the original crew back is amazing. Thanks again guys! Best episode of the year!
  • Options
    While I loved hearing everyone back on one episode, it's evident that some of the geeks had a tough time getting a word in edgewise. Remember the early days when Murd didn't have a chance to say much? He had the same challenge this episode. Still it was great to hear everyone back, and it would be too much to ask that all the CGS members participate in every episode anyway. But it was a treat that I hope will happen every so often.

I think 3 or 4 members at a time seems more manageable. The latest Marvel Now episode is an example. Everyone had a chance to participate.
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I don't agree with Peter about Green Lantern, Thor, and Wonder Woman in movies. I think that GL and Thor can work and the movies could have been stronger with a better script and production. And I think that Wonder Woman can work for movies. There have been fantasy movies, and mythology movies. Wonder Woman can work with a good script.

And I was sorry to hear Kevin say that he doesn't like Mark Ruffalo. i liked him in The Avengers, and I've liked him in other movies that he's been in. I think he's a good actor.