Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Saga of The Swamp Thing

I loved the first volume (the Alan Moore one I mean) but all the others seem to be really expensive, even though they were printed relatively recently! I have the first one in hard cover, but I wouldn't be opposed to getting the rest in trade, but they all expensive! Any reason?
Thanks, Will

Comments

• Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I don't know but I bought them all in HC. I don't remember thinking the price was unreasonable. I bought mine online, which was cheaper, with free shipping.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I can't speak for the UK prices, so I can't be a help on finding a value or good price (I know for the US, Instocktrades still has all the HCs at 40% off, but that is probably not a help).

But I can say, whether you get those HCs, or the prior TPBs, they are absolutely worth it. Excellent, dense (in a good way) reading. And those books definitely give bang for your buck as far as how long they take to read.

One suggestion-- I believe the only volume that had previously uncollected material is the first one-- that HC had the transition issue out of the prior story and before "Anatomy Lesson". But after that I think the HCs are just a nicer print of what has been in trades for a long time. And if you do some eBay or bargain shopping around, it might be that the trades are easier to get for cheap now as some fans probably upgraded to the HCs.

However you get them, they are definitely worth the hunt. That is a hell of a run of comics.
  • gavigavi Posts: 41
    I wanted to start collecting the HC's cause a David_D said they include content that wasn't included in the first run of paperbacks. However they are now printing paperback versions of the "upadted" HCs. I have the first two, and highly recommend them
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    gavi said:

I wanted to start collecting the HC's cause a David_D said they include content that wasn't included in the first run of paperbacks. However they are now printing paperback versions of the "upadted" HCs. I have the first two, and highly recommend them

That's a good point, too.
  • Actually, those hardcovers are going out of print. I recently found a volume 4 on ebay for a reasonable price (it wasn't available through In Stock Trades and Amazon only has them for an exorbitant price). And I think the fact that DC is reissuing the trades from these new Hardcovers might be why the initial TPB collections are now quite high. The new trades are coming, though, and I cannot recommend these highly enough. Great, great series.

chris
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited November 2012
    The TP version of vol 2 was published last month
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saga-Swamp-Thing-Alan-Moore/dp/1848564678/

vol 3 will be out in january
    @Will_TWOTH
    Are you going to Thought Bubble by any chance?
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    A couple of months ago I got the first 3 HCs (Titan Books Graphic Novels)for cheap from Amazon. This thread made me check out the next books. The 4th HC now costs 3 times as much :-O
    Even the trades (Vertigo) now cost more than the first 3 HCs.....

Should have bought all the HCs back when :(|)
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I have these recent HCs, but do any UKers remember the old Titan B/W editions? Bissette and Totleben in glorious black and white. =P~
  • Caliban said:

@Will_TWOTH
    Are you going to Thought Bubble by any chance?

Unfortunately I'm not, really want to though! Why do you ask?

I was going to lend you the next volume
  • Ah, would have been most kind of you! Alas, I can't make it, but thank you anyway!
    Let me know where you've got to by LoSCCo
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I got the 1st trade and absolutely loved it. I wanted to take my time with it, couple issues here and there. Ended up devouring it in one sitting. Need to get this second volume now too. £10-£12 most places online. It's a bargain price I think. You get a lot of bang for your buck or punch for your pound (???) in my case.
  • I agree for the trade that's pretty reasonable, but I did want the rest in HC, and if I didn't I'd have to get the first one in trade, which is also expensive! Have you seen the HC? They're so nice, they have this very old feel to them, especially on the dust jacket.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

I agree for the trade that's pretty reasonable, but I did want the rest in HC, and if I didn't I'd have to get the first one in trade, which is also expensive! Have you seen the HC? They're so nice, they have this very old feel to them, especially on the dust jacket.

I have and I agree they're really well done. I would like to get the HCs, but they're a little out of my price range right now. I'll stick to getting tpb for now.
  • Yeah, I may have to do the same :(