Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Just finished the 6th and final Codex Aleria book by Jim Butcher. George R R Martin's Clash of Kings on Audiobook and have started Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    America Again by Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Torchsong said:

America Again by Stephen Colbert

just finished that (something I read while doing some meditating on the throne...) and it was very witty - what else - it's Colbert B-)
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Just finished the Hobbit. Now reading The Revolution was Televised by Alan Sepinwall. Tv critic for Hitfix.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    dubbat138 said:

I also enjoyed the Douglas Adams "Salmon of Doubt" book and his Dirk Gently novels.

I don't like the Dirk Gently books as much as the Hitchhiker's Guide series, but I do enjoy them.

Salmon of Doubt, despite being a collection of assorted odds and ends, was a good read, too.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Asia Shock

A decent book about various Asian dark horror films.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I’m thoroughly enjoying World War Z but I have to say, the more I read and enjoy the book, the more I’m concerned about the film. Now I could be wrong, and I’m sure it’ll be entertaining to some degree but the film looks like zombie action film with the CGI being the highlight; whereas the book, since it’s written as an official report, makes the zombie war just as real as The Walking Dead. Whereas TWD deals a lot with the human aspect, WWZ, the book, deals with it from a worldwide view, particularly in regards to possible origin and plague evolution, geography, and the destabilization of the economic and societal structure. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the film will not be as good as it could’ve been if it had stuck more closely to the book.

Plus, on a personal level, I’ll take slow moving zombies (book version = better chance of survival) versus fast zombies (film version = we’re totally screwed) any day.
  • Options
    Dman said:

I’m thoroughly enjoying World War Z but I have to say, the more I read and enjoy the book, the more I’m concerned about the film. Now I could be wrong, and I’m sure it’ll be entertaining to some degree but the film looks like zombie action film with the CGI being the highlight; whereas the book, since it’s written as an official report, makes the zombie war just as real as The Walking Dead. Whereas TWD deals a lot with the human aspect, WWZ, the book, deals with it from a worldwide view, particularly in regards to possible origin and plague evolution, geography, and the destabilization of the economic and societal structure. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the film will not be as good as it could’ve been if it had stuck more closely to the book.

Plus, on a personal level, I’ll take slow moving zombies (book version = better chance of survival) versus fast zombies (film version = we’re totally screwed) any day.

World War Z is a great book that I think even people who are not fans of the horror genre can enjoy.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    dubbat138 said:

Dman said:

World War Z is a great book that I think even people who are not fans of the horror genre can enjoy.
    I totally agree dubbat138!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    dubbat138 said:

Dman said:

Speaking as a non-fan of the horror genre, I can corroborate that statement.
  • Options
    Just started reading Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. Loved the first two books (Inkheart, Inkspell) in this trilogy and so far (7 chapters in) I'm really enjoying this one.
  • Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    jaydee74 said:

I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's part of Barnes and Noble's leather bound classics collection. This volume collects all five volumes in one leather bound hardcover collection. It's pretty awesome so far.

OK, I got to get that.

• Options
    SteevenSteeven Posts: 215
    dubbat138 said:

Dman said:

I started reading World War Z today. O…M…G! I’m about 20 pages in and the only reason I put my Kindle down is to watch my Sunday night non-cable television. I ‘m already immensely enjoying this book and I LOVE the way it’s being written. It makes it that much more real.

jaydee74 said:

I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's part of Barnes and Noble's leather bound classics collection. This volume collects all five volumes in one leather bound hardcover collection. It's pretty awesome so far.

Both are amazing books. Read World War Z earlier this year and was very very impressed. Sadly it looks like the movie is not gonna be like the novel. First read the first 3 Hitchhiker's books back when I was 10 or so and really enjoyed them. I had gotten the Infocom Hitchhikers computer game and loved the game so much I sought out the novels I have read all the novels in the series written by Adams. I own the last book that was written by someone else but haven't read it yet.

That last Hitchhiker's book was written by Eion Colfer who wrote the Artemis Fowl books. It's actually really very good.

• Options
    Steeven said:

dubbat138 said:

Dman said:

I started reading World War Z today. O…M…G! I’m about 20 pages in and the only reason I put my Kindle down is to watch my Sunday night non-cable television. I ‘m already immensely enjoying this book and I LOVE the way it’s being written. It makes it that much more real.

jaydee74 said:

Both are amazing books. Read World War Z earlier this year and was very very impressed. Sadly it looks like the movie is not gonna be like the novel. First read the first 3 Hitchhiker's books back when I was 10 or so and really enjoyed them. I had gotten the Infocom Hitchhikers computer game and loved the game so much I sought out the novels I have read all the novels in the series written by Adams. I own the last book that was written by someone else but haven't read it yet.

That last Hitchhiker's book was written by Eion Colfer who wrote the Artemis Fowl books. It's actually really very good.

I need to read it. But recently haven't been reading many novels. Been having trouble concentrating on a novel. So been reading more comics and other stuff.

• Options
    Kilmarock said:

Just started reading Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke. Loved the first two books (Inkheart, Inkspell) in this trilogy and so far (7 chapters in) I'm really enjoying this one.

I listened to the first two audiobooks in the series, and they were pretty enjoyable. Not as good as The Thief Lord, which I think is her best book, but fun. I haven't had a chance to read the third book yet. Is it as good as the first two?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    New Dresden Files book arrived yesterday!

Will start it as soon as I finish Terry Pratchett's latest, Dodger.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

New Dresden Files book arrived yesterday!

Will start it as soon as I finish Terry Pratchett's latest, Dodger.

I am ordering my copy in the next few days. Whatever I am reading will by put aside once it comes in.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Finally finished Insomnia today. Really good read, lots of Dark Tower references (which is always good). @dubbat138 I can't believe you flat out hated this book.

Back to A Song of Ice and Fire next with the second part of A Storm of Swords.
  • Options

Kilmarock said:

I listened to the first two audiobooks in the series, and they were pretty enjoyable. Not as good as The Thief Lord, which I think is her best book, but fun. I haven't had a chance to read the third book yet. Is it as good as the first two?
    So far Inkdeath is every bit as good as Inkheart and Inkspell but I still have a ways to go. I liked Inkspell a little better than Inkheart, even though the ending was heartbreaking. The primary focus in Inkdeath continues to be on Meggie and Mo but the story also jumps around some and shows the reader what other characters like Fenoglio and Farid and Aunt Elinor are up to.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Finally finished Insomnia today. Really good read, lots of Dark Tower references (which is always good). @dubbat138 I can't believe you flat out hated this book.

Back to A Song of Ice and Fire next with the second part of A Storm of Swords.

Insomnia,Tommyknockers and Bag of Bones are the three books of his I just don't like at all. I been meaning to re-read Insomnia again since it has heavy ties to the Dark Tower series. But that will be awhile before it happens.
  • Options
    Kilmarock said:

Kilmarock said:

So far Inkdeath is every bit as good as Inkheart and Inkspell but I still have a ways to go. I liked Inkspell a little better than Inkheart, even though the ending was heartbreaking. The primary focus in Inkdeath continues to be on Meggie and Mo but the story also jumps around some and shows the reader what other characters like Fenoglio and Farid and Aunt Elinor are up to.
    Cool. That’s good to hear. I'll get around to it one of these days, hopefully.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Darth Plageuis by James Luceno
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    The Hunter Richard Stark
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    DAR said:

The audio book was quite entertaining. Good addition to the Star Wars lore.

• Options

DAR said:

The audio book was quite entertaining. Good addition to the Star Wars lore.

I'm in the middle of listening to it, and I agree. I don't normally go for Star Wars novels, but I'm enjoying the political machinations and subterfuge.
  • Options
    I got a bit delayed reading through volume 4, but I have at last begun on volume 5 of Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle: Elric: Song Of The Black Sword.
  • Options
    Am now half way through the Star Wars: Legacy of the Force series, about to start 'Inferno', and I think it's a mixed bag of a series with sloooooow parts followed by quick paced action sequences. The characterisation of the main protagonist I thought was bullshit at first, but is just beginning to grow on me. And the death of "popular character" in 'Sacrifice' was pretty poorly done when compared to others in previous series - notable kudos to the death in 'Star by Star' (I think?!)
  • Options
    Now into volume 6 of the Eternal Champion cycle: The Roads Between The Worlds.
  • Options
    The Black Ice by Michael Connelly - 2nd Harry Bosch novel - I'm about 100 pages in and so far it is excellent
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick. Not really sure how I feel about it yet.