Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1312 Talkback: Marvel Now Round Six

The Marvel Now discussions keep on coming. In this episode we talk about Avengers Arena #1 and Cable and X-Force #1 as well as Fantastic Four #2, All-New X-Men #3 and Avengers Assemble #10. (1:10:51)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    When was this episode recorded? Because I can personally see the events of this past Friday causing a quick cancellation or at the very least drastic re-tooling of Avengers Arena.

(not saying I agree with it - haven't read the book so I have no opinion - just stating that I can see it happening)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited December 2012
    I with you guys on Fantastic Four and FF - Fan4 seems like it's going to be a slow plod toward impending doom, while FF comes off like it's going to be the fun, crazy, and a bit cerebral book. I definitely plan on supporting the latter with my money, while the former I may leave to check out in trade. Though, as I think it was Adam who said it, it's always good to get a Devil Dinosaur and Moon Boy appearance.

Didn't read Avengers Arena, but you guys have me curious to check it out now, especially due to the involvement of Arcade, the world's least cost-effective assassin. Though the comparison to post-Identity Crisis Dr. Light gives me pause... I can only ever think of that version of the character in the way that Kyle Baker described him in Plastic Man - the character who tried to rape so many other people it practically became his second super power. I think the attempt to re-badassify Dr. Light was a text book lesson in how to break a character but good, and I'd hate to see that happen to a villain like Arcade, who I've been a big fan of ever since I was a kid.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    KyleMoyer said:

When was this episode recorded? Because I can personally see the events of this past Friday causing a quick cancellation or at the very least drastic re-tooling of Avengers Arena.

(not saying I agree with it - haven't read the book so I have no opinion - just stating that I can see it happening)

We recorded on Monday night. I was actually thinking the same during our review (though I didn't want to be another person to bring up Sandy Hook).

M
  • Options
    Battle Royale was originally a best-selling (in Japan) novel by Koushun Takami which was published in 1999—long before Hunger Games. It was then done as a manga and live-action movie. I've read the manga (which was scripted from the translation by Keith Giffen, IIRC), and it was quite good, though a bit drawn out as so many manga tend to be. The basic concept of Hunger Games is virtually identical to Battle Royale.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've listened to all the Marvel Now episodes and I have to say nothing really interests me of what's come out.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited December 2012
    EDIT: I posted this before I heard Adam say the samething.

I didn't read Avengers Academy but is there any chance this isn't real? A virtual world..like Next Men perhaps? I am curious now and may have to check this series out.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549

Battle Royale was originally a best-selling (in Japan) novel by Koushun Takami which was published in 1999—long before Hunger Games. It was then done as a manga and live-action movie. I've read the manga (which was scripted from the translation by Keith Giffen, IIRC), and it was quite good, though a bit drawn out as so many manga tend to be. The basic concept of Hunger Games is virtually identical to Battle Royale.

You beat me to it...
    I'm almost done with the 3rd Hunger Games books (Mockingjay)...the second and third book diverge from the Battle Royale Movies (never finished the Manga). So while really similiar Hunger Games does run off in it's own direction, it really surprised me actually.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

EDIT: I posted this before I heard Adam say the samething.

I didn't read Avengers Academy but is there any chance this isn't real? A virtual world..like Next Men perhaps? I am curious now and may have to check this series out.

We don't know for sure. In some ways I hope not and in some I hope so...I guess the real question.

Cable and X-Force: Dr Nemesis was brought into Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction in the early 500s. He became part of their science team which consisted of Jefferson Maddries (? Box from Alpha Flight), Danger and Dr Rao (indian Scientist from Whedon's Astonishing X-Men). They became known as the X-Club and even had their own mini series.

I just hope they don't change Nemesis too much. I don't really like his new look but I'm waiting to see why it's done. On the up side it seems like Hopeless will keep the snarky, "I will put my science in you!" Dr Nemesis...or like my circle likes to say, he will teabag you with science.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Avengers Arena: Hmm, a borrow for me. As Murd brought up, maybe Mettle really isn't dead, but the way they talk about "death" on the letter pages they seem to want to say the deaths are "permanent."
    Cable and X-Force: I liked it, so it's a buy, but only for the first arc or so, since I'm on a limited budget. I'll probably have to decide between C+X-F and regular X-F in the Previews.
    All the rest are borrows for me!
    Oh, one question: Does anybody know if Pants is keeping track of everyone's buys, borrows, and pants?