Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Binding Regrets?

One of the first binds I made was an X-Force bind. I decided to start with New Mutants #98 and then after NMs lead into the annuals that involved the X-Men hunting down the New Mutants leading into X-Force 1 through 15ish. I later found out that the first issue in the bind was the first appearance of some Rob Liefeld character named after a bad Clint Eastwood movie who I guess is popular with all the kids now. In hindsight, had I known New Mutants #98 was a $100 comic I might have decided not to bind it.

Anyone else bind anything that they later thought might not have been so wise?

Comments

• I did a 3 volume Blackest Night set and, in the first one, I put the Solomon Grundy issues (where Solomon Grundy becomes a Black Lantern) before Green Lantern #43 (where Black Hand becomes a Black Lantern/Avatar of the Black).

Later, I found out Black Hand was the first Black Lantern. It's a small, nitpicky thing, but it frustrates the crap out of me!
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I bind my favorite stories as opposed to any consecutive and/or complete run. In Volume 1 of my Spiderman bind I was out of chronological order for the first half and it really annoys me now that I go from 1980 issues of Amazing Spiderman to 1978 issues of Marvel Team Up. I don't know what I was thinking but since it's for an audience of one I deal with it. The only other regret is that I fell in love with the hobby the same time I took a big hit job-wise. I have 18 binds and about 20 all ready to go that I'm far away from ever getting done.
  • FoneBone said:

One of the first binds I made was an X-Force bind. I decided to start with New Mutants #98 and then after NMs lead into the annuals that involved the X-Men hunting down the New Mutants leading into X-Force 1 through 15ish. I later found out that the first issue in the bind was the first appearance of some Rob Liefeld character named after a bad Clint Eastwood movie who I guess is popular with all the kids now. In hindsight, had I known New Mutants #98 was a $100 comic I might have decided not to bind it.

Anyone else bind anything that they later thought might not have been so wise?

How long have you been binding? Or did you just not check to see if the books you were binding had any market value before you bound them? Just trying to understand.

I've not regretted a single bind project. The closest I come to regret is when I put in the time and money on a binding project, only to have the Publisher finally get off their arse and do a proper collection (I'm looking at you DC for finally doing the collected Starman and doing it right!)

The most expensive book I've bound is a Deadpool (coincidence!) appearance in Priest's Black Panther run that cost me $20. Every other time I've needed to bind a pricey book (say Brave and the Bold #59) I've found a reprint to suffice.
  • also New Mutants #98 is reprinted in Wolverine: Origins (2006) #25. A $5 book instead of a $100 book.
  • I started binding after my parents shipped me all my long boxes and I didnt want them taking up all my closet space. I never really checked market value. And had been on a hiatus from comics for 15 years. So was unaware of the Deadpool craze.
  • Dave 2099, that would bother me too unless you like the Grundy cover better than I would be cool with it.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    About my only regret was when I first started out I would "over-bind" (ie. put too many books into one bind). So I have massive tomes on my shelf that might have looked nicer/been easier to read if I'd divided up the runs into more volumes. A lesson learned - and I still like reading them, so no real horror.