Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Music Thread

Comments

• chriswchrisw Posts: 792

Least favorite is probably Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Not a very original choice, I know, but man is that awful.

This was streaming on Netflix not long ago. May still be. Anyway, I finally watched it, and it really does live up to the hype. Absolutely dreadful. And it takes itself so seriously. I'm baffled as to how anyone involved thought it was a good idea. There's a good performance by Aerosmith, though I'm sure Steven Tyler doesn't like to recall the time he had his ass kicked on screen by Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees.

And they must have printed far too many copies of the soundtrack album, because it used to pop up at garage sales and flea markets all the time when I went through a record collecting phase during the late '80s, early '90s. I know I have a copy somewhere.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Perfect albums (in no real order):

Weezer - Pinkerton
    They Might Be Giants - Flood
    Piebald - We Are the Only Friends That We Have
    The Juliana Hatfield Three - Become What You Are
    The Beatles - Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Led Zeppelin IV
    "Weird Al" Yankovic - UHF and Other Stuff

I'm sure there are more, but that's all that's coming to mind right now.

Favorite Live Album - I don't really listen to a lot of live albums because I don't often like the sound of recorded "live" events, but maybe Dance Hall Crashers - The Live Record: Witless Banter & 25 Mildly Antagonistic Songs About Love.
  • WetRats said:

I'm gonna come off as such an old fart here.

1) What's a song from the past year (2011-Present) that you've really enjoyed?
    Nothing. Since the advent of AutoTune, I avoid pop music like unto the plague.

2) What band/artist have you recently "discovered" that you like?
    The Carolina Chocolate Drops

3) What was the last CD (actual physical media) that you bought?
    The remastered White Album

4) What was the last mp3 (or single file audio track) that you bought/downloaded?
    Also The Beatles; A Hard Day's Night (only had it on vinyl)

5) What are you looking forward to - music-wise - in 2012?
    The demise of AutoTune.

Hey, I just checked out the Carolina Chocolate Drops... they're fantastic... off to get their music now!

Have you tried Mumford and Sons? Give them a listen!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    The Carolina Chocolate Drops are local to me, so I’ve known about them for a few years, and, yes, they’re really good.

The Mumford and Sons’ Sigh No More album is outstanding. What I’ve heard of the newest has some bright spots, but a lot of it feels like they’re treading over the same ground a bit too heavily. I’m hoping they don’t become a one-note band because I really like their sound.

@WetRats, have you ever listened to Gomez? They remind me a bit of The Beatles, not so much in their sound, but in the spirit and versatility of their songwriting.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

10) Well, both the Pixies and the Blake Babies did get back together at one point or another (not that I got to see either of them the first time around or the reunion(s)), so they're out. I have to go with the Ramones, I guess.

The three times I saw the Ramones they were great. And it was after Dee Dee quit and Marky was drumming. I would have loved to have seen them when Dee Dee was on bass and Richie was drumming. Richie was an amazing drummer.
  • The Carolina Chocolate Drops are local to me, so I’ve known about them for a few years, and, yes, they’re really good.

The Mumford and Sons’ Sigh No More album is outstanding. What I’ve heard of the newest has some bright spots, but a lot of it feels like they’re treading over the same ground a bit too heavily. I’m hoping they don’t become a one-note band because I really like their sound.

@WetRats, have you ever listened to Gomez? They remind me a bit of The Beatles, not so much in their sound, but in the spirit and versatility of their songwriting.

Turns out they're local to me, too... I live in Knightdale, and work in Cary.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Tonebone said:

The Carolina Chocolate Drops are local to me, so I’ve known about them for a few years, and, yes, they’re really good.

Turns out they're local to me, too... I live in Knightdale, and work in Cary.
    I'm in Mebane, and work part-time in Raleigh, part-time at home. Do you get your comics at either Foundation’s Edge or Capital?
  • GiannaD11GiannaD11 Posts: 50
    I'm enjoying some Three Days Great, Avenge Sevenfold, and Rise Against. They're all great rock/metal bands. But I'm also listening to some movie soundtracks/dubstep music.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    If you haven't already, you need to check out Haim. Great band.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    hauberk said:

dubbat138 said:

hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

Okay, it's a slow day so let's move on and add 5 more questions:

6) What's the best live show you've ever been to? Not necessarily in terms of your favorite band (unless it is) but who or what gave you the absolute best live experience (and venue may play a role as well).

7) What's the best cover song you've ever heard?

8) What artist or band are you willing to admit you like, though it may lessen your standing as a music-lover among the relative group of strangers who come to these forums :) ?

9) Sometimes movies based around a band's music can be awesome, like the Beatles with "Across the Universe". Sometimes they can be horrible, like the Beatles with "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". What's your favorite/least favorite movie based around a band's music?

10) For one night, you can bring someone back from the dead/reunite one band for a one-shot gig, or reform a band at the peak of their talent. Who is it? Difficulty factor: No Zeppelin (Bonham).

10 - Either the Ramones or Warren Zevon. I missed getting to see either in concert.

Never got to see Zevon. But did see the Ramones 3 times in concert. Sadly all three times was with CJ on bass and Marky on drums. Amazing shows,after the first time seeing them I had a ringing in my ears for 2 days. But I would have loved to see them when they had Dee Dee on bass and either Tommy or Richie on drums. I have some live recordings of when they toured with Richie in the band and they are so good. Johnny said in quite a few interviews that after the first tour with Richie they released each song was getting faster and faster.
    Yeah, I saw that about Richie as well. They were doing a 60 minute set in something like 45 minutes, if I remember the interview correctly.
    I saw The Ramones at Mississippi Nights in StL in the early 90's (Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee and Markey line up) Frank Black from the Pixies was the opening act. I remember folks in line talking about the Ramones had to perform for X number of hours rather than a set list becasue they could knock out an hours material in 45 minutes and the venues were getting pissy about paying them for a full show.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    If you're a Led Zep fan, do yourself a favour and go watch Heart perform Stairway To Heaven from the Kennedy Center Honors. Will blow you away. It certainly blew Jimmy, John and Robert away!
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Rhye Woman
    I am always thinking there will never be another album I keep on repeat in the car, at work, in the shower. I'm always happy when I'm proven wrong.
  • Torchsong said:

I'd say it's a safe bet we all dig music in some form. A lot of us like to listen while we create or read these funnybooks. Rather than the usual "What's your favorite?" lists or "Desert Island?" topics, let's go a bit different:

1) What's a song from the past year (2011-Present) that you've really enjoyed? Shadow of the day- Linkin Park
    2) What band/artist have you recently "discovered" that you like? Recently Black Keys.
    3) What was the last CD (actual physical media) that you bought? I really can't remember the last time I physically bought a cd. Lol had to be years ago.
    4) What was the last mp3 (or single file audio track) that you bought/downloaded? Last track I downloaded was My Body by young the giant.
    5) What are you looking forward to - music-wise - in 2012? No idea. I listen basically to everything. I really like alternative, rock and some rap. :)

• PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Torchsong said:

I'd say it's a safe bet we all dig music in some form. A lot of us like to listen while we create or read these funnybooks. Rather than the usual "What's your favorite?" lists or "Desert Island?" topics, let's go a bit different:

1) What's a song from the past year (2011-Present) that you've really enjoyed?
    2) What band/artist have you recently "discovered" that you like?
    3) What was the last CD (actual physical media) that you bought?
    4) What was the last mp3 (or single file audio track) that you bought/downloaded?
    5) What are you looking forward to - music-wise - in 2012?

1) The song I'm borderline obsessed with right now is "Summertime Sadness" by Lana Del Ray
    2) The Black Keys. Not sure why I hadn't heard of them before, but in the last 8 month I have actively sought a lot of new music.
    3) The last CD I bought was a Kings of Leon CD (another band I've relatively recently tried to listen to). Bought it a few weeks ago on Amazon.
    4) Lou Reed greatest hits
    5) um... I don't think I'm looking forward to anything. I'm trying to find old stuff.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Pearl Jam is still getting it done. New album has that classic sound with some new twists. Good tunes start to finish.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2013
    Look it's a crime novel, no a graphic novel, no it's an audiobook and a Rory Gallagher album

http://www.rorygallagher.com/

Great video explains it all B-)
    ‘Kickback City’ a unique immersive album inspired by the crime noir passion and music of Rory Gallagher. Featuring a specially compiled album of Rory Gallagher’s best crime novel influenced music; the stunning package also includes an exclusive new novella by Ian Rankin fully illustrated by graphic artist Timothy Truman. This unique immersive album also includes a special narration of the story by actor Aidan Quinn.
    Inspired by Rory Gallagher’s passion for crime novels, ‘Kickback City’ is a creative collaboration combining the words of Ian Rankin, the illustrations of Timothy Truman and of course the music of Rory Gallagher. The result is a brand new kind of concept album – a must have for fans of Rory Gallagher, Ian Rankin, graphic novels and newcomers alike.
  • hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Crossposting from the Random bits thread:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees announced - Nirvana, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens. All in all, a pretty good class I suppose. Personally, I'd gladly trade Stevens out in favor of Warren Zevon, who IMO had a much more profound musical and, more specifically, lyrical impact.
  • hauberk said:

Crossposting from the Random bits thread:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees announced - Nirvana, KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates and Cat Stevens. All in all, a pretty good class I suppose. Personally, I'd gladly trade Stevens out in favor of Warren Zevon, who IMO had a much more profound musical and, more specifically, lyrical impact.

I’d trade out KISS, Hall & Oates, and Stevens for Zevon.