Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Greg said:

We have a local used bookstore that is also a coffee house, Jewish deli, old fashioned ice cream parlor, and they print a newspaper.

Sounds great! Where is your locale?
    It seems Super Dickery is making a comeback.

Uncool.
    Great.

Just what comics needs.

More deconstruction.

Criminy.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Attention all Massachusetts based forum members:

You now live in the state of Connecticut!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WetRats said:

Greg said:

We have a local used bookstore that is also a coffee house, Jewish deli, old fashioned ice cream parlor, and they print a newspaper.

Sounds great! Where is your locale?
    LaPorte, Indiana
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    WetRats said:

Great.

Just what comics needs.

More deconstruction.

Criminy.

Pfft...it's a JMS book. Ignore it for a few months and it'll go away once he sees a squirrel running around in his yard.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

WetRats said:

Great.

Just what comics needs.

More deconstruction.

Criminy.

Pfft...it's a JMS book. Ignore it for a few months and it'll go away once he sees a squirrel running around in his yard.
    I'll have to take a look at that.

WetRats said:

Great.

Just what comics needs.

More deconstruction.

Criminy.

The squirrel?
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Great.

Just what comics needs.

More deconstruction.

Criminy.

The squirrel?
    No, the book. I generally like anything JMS writes, so this might be worth my time to at least looking into it.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Killraven was awesome once Don McGregor and P Craig Russel were doing it. And if you ever malign that series again, I will.....

...I probably won't do anything, but you still shouldn't do it.

Marvel ALMOST maligned the series, by commisioning Rob Liefeld to do a new mini-series. Thankfully they decided not to publish it, but now Rob has gotten his panties in a twist over it...

Killraven Mini-Series Killed?

As Killraven has been a secret shame of mine for years, I have to agree with the poster that responded
    "Brevoort, keep that Kirkman / Liefeld project as far away from publication as possible."
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

WetRats said:

"Used bookstore" is an odd term. It looks like the store is used, rather than the books.

With a lot of the used bookstores I’ve been in, it’s felt like the store was more used than the books.
    I have a love hate relationship with Used Book Stores. You can't go into one looking for a specific book and having to step over piles of crap bugs me. However, if your just browsing, you'll always find something to buy.
    I also love the smell. Glade should have a spray scent "Used Book Store".
    The classic little junky/smelly ones are starting to disappear around here. There's a nice regional chain of big, clean, very well-organized stores. (Mr. K's)
    The only bookstore in the county I live in is this almost 30 year old used bookstore. But the owner keeps it nice and clean. Only bad part is 80% of the books are some form of romance novels. But she is nice enough to keep a list of books I am looking for and calling me it any of them come in. I got a stack of 40 Star Trek novels,given to me from my uncle, that I am not going to read that I need to go trade in.

edited July 2013

Killraven was awesome once Don McGregor and P Craig Russel were doing it. And if you ever malign that series again, I will.....

...I probably won't do anything, but you still shouldn't do it.

Marvel ALMOST maligned the series, by commisioning Rob Liefeld to do a new mini-series. Thankfully they decided not to publish it, but now Rob has gotten his panties in a twist over it...

Killraven Mini-Series Killed?

As Killraven has been a secret shame of mine for years, I have to agree with the poster that responded
    "Brevoort, keep that Kirkman / Liefeld project as far away from publication as possible."
    Ah. This explains my reaction. The taint of Liefeld is that potent, even in an unpublished form.
    Favorite Led Zeppelin song: Ramble On

Favorite Rolling Stones song: Sympathy for the Devil
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I can say the same for Zeppelin, favorite Stones tune is Miss You.

Oh, and I like chocolate milk. And cereal. I could live off of cereal.

I used to have a co-worker that could not pronounce serious, so he would say serial.
    Greg said:

I can say the same for Zeppelin, favorite Stones tune is Miss You.

Oh, and I like chocolate milk. And cereal. I could live off of cereal.

I used to have a co-worker that could not pronounce serious, so he would say serial.

I had a friend who was never certain about anything, he was always "for certain."

He also insisted on pronouncing the w in "sword".
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    When I met my US homestay family the first time I was all tired and sweaty from traveling over the pond. When asked what I'd like to do first thing I meant to say "take a shower" but mixed up my languages and said "take a douche" instead.

That was the ice breaker (and talk of the town for quite a while)

WetRats said:

Led Zeppelin: World's most popular cover band. I prefer to listen to the artists they stole their songs from.
    Favorite Rolling Stones song: Satisfaction
    Favorite Rush song: Subdivisions. So there.

edited July 2013

Led Zeppelin: World's most popular cover band. I prefer to listen to the artists they stole their songs from.

Most of those are in my iPod, too.

You may notice "Ramble On" is not on that list.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Best cover of Sympathy for the Devil is by Laibach.

Greatest cover band ever is Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.

One of the greatest covers ever is Brave Combo's version of People are Strange.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

WetRats said:

Boooooooo!! I get that Zeppelin ripped off a lot of their songs at least in the beginning from Blues. They did revolutionize the recording and touring industry. They did create some of the most inventive and exciting original music ever put on vinyl. It's a tired trope to shit on Zeppelin because of the rip off of blues when everybody anywhere near the creation of rock and roll did the same. Dismissing Zep as a cover band is laughable.
    shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

Boooooooo!! I get that Zeppelin ripped off a lot of their songs at least in the beginning from Blues. They did revolutionize the recording and touring industry. They did create some of the most inventive and exciting original music ever put on vinyl. It's a tired trope to shit on Zeppelin because of the rip off of blues when everybody anywhere near the creation of rock and roll did the same. Dismissing Zep as a cover band is laughable.
    Really? It's not that they used some of the same riffs, THEY STOLE ENTIRE SONGS INCLUDING TITLES.

Inventive? Please explain, because when I listen to them, I really don't hear anything new in what they do. It's blues based rock. They are VERY talented musically, and were insanely popular, but they didn't experiment with their sound AT ALL, and their last album sounds pretty much like their first. And to say they put the most original music on vinyl simply means you never listened to Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, The Clash, Velvet Underground, Todd Rundgren, Genesis, The Who....

The Beatles went from "Please Please Me' to Sgt Pepper's in 4 years. Led Zeppelin went from "Whole Lotta Love" to "I'm Gonna Crawl" in 10.

I get that you like them, but come on, they are a big time blues metal band that sold a lot of records. The Eagles sold a lot of records too, but that doesn't mean they are any good.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

Really? It's not that they used some of the same riffs, THEY STOLE ENTIRE SONGS INCLUDING TITLES.

Inventive? Please explain, because when I listen to them, I really don't hear anything new in what they do. It's blues based rock. They are VERY talented musically, and were insanely popular, but they didn't experiment with their sound AT ALL, and their last album sounds pretty much like their first. And to say they put the most original music on vinyl simply means you never listened to Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, The Clash, Velvet Underground, Todd Rundgren, Genesis, The Who....

The Beatles went from "Please Please Me' to Sgt Pepper's in 4 years. Led Zeppelin went from "Whole Lotta Love" to "I'm Gonna Crawl" in 10.

I get that you like them, but come on, they are a big time blues metal band that sold a lot of records. The Eagles sold a lot of records too, but that doesn't mean they are any good.
    Zeppelin was far from the only band to swipe old blues songs. The Stones did it, Eric Clapton and all the bands he was in (The Yardbirds, Cream, et al.) did it, Hendrix did it, even The Beatles did it. I would agree that Zeppelin wasn’t the most original band ever as far as songwriting, but they did experiment on occasion. “Kashmir,” “The Rain Song,” and much of Physical Graffiti may not have been radical shifts in their style, but they weren’t completely static as you suggest either. They played with time changes, alternate guitar tunings, adding different instruments, etc., to provide different textures to their songs.

I would say that while most of their songwriting wasn’t really original, their sound was (thanks largely to John Bonham). I believe it was their sound that made them stand out and made them popular more so than the songs they played.
    edited July 2013

shroud68 said:

WetRats said:

First off I didn't say they were the most original band, I used the word inventive and exciting not just original. Tell me Page and Jones were not inventive AT ALL if you listen to Physical Graffiti. And don't toss out David Bowie as a plank in your argument when Mr Jones was a whore to whatever fad was cresting at the time. The Clash? Do we need detail the bands and styles they ripped off? You make my point when you trudge out the same tired BS. Zeppelin stole, yes. They are not a cover band.

P.S. I have listened to your list of artists. I am not some classic rock slave waving the flag of Stairway to Heaven. You listing some other innovators does not invalidate my opinion.
    Y'know, the religious fervor that some folk have for music and for their favorite bands was one of the reasons that I gradually stopped listening to and stopped caring about it all years ago. I like what I like, I listen to what I like to listen to, and I don't care what opinions others may have about my tastes, the standing of the musicians I listen to, or anything else. And that's all I'll have to say on the topic.

Y'know, the religious fervor that some folk have for music and for their favorite bands was one of the reasons that I gradually stopped listening to and stopped caring about it all years ago. I like what I like, I listen to what I like to listen to, and I don't care what opinions others may have about my tastes, the standing of the musicians I listen to, or anything else. And that's all I'll have to say on the topic.

Why does my beliefs effect you? This is tantamount to bar talk, conversation had over a few beers. Why would you stop listening to music because I'm devoted to Zep and others are not? I did not say Solitare Rose's opinion was invalid, I defended my band's repuatation. I would never stop doing something I enjoy because other people were passionate about it. My likes are my likes, yours are yours. Why let me influence you negatively. That's......................difficult to understand to say the least.
    As an all-purpose nerd, I tend to have passionate opinions bordering on religious fervor about pretty much any area that interests me.
    shroud68 said:

Why does my beliefs effect you? This is tantamount to bar talk, conversation had over a few beers. Why would you stop listening to music because I'm devoted to Zep and others are not? I did not say Solitare Rose's opinion was invalid, I defended my band's repuatation. I would never stop doing something I enjoy because other people were passionate about it. My likes are my likes, yours are yours. Why let me influence you negatively. That's......................difficult to understand to say the least.
    It isn't the likes that bother me, but the fervor, the almost religious intensity that permeates any such discussion. And it's not you guys in particular, but a lot of such discussions I've been exposed to over the decades. I've reached the point that I just don't care anymore one way or the other, in favor of or against the merits or reputation of any bands you favor, or even of those I favor. I've seen these back-and-forths in person and they can tend to go off the rails, and, yeah, they do put a damper on my own enjoyment of the music; it leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. I don't even discuss music with friends anymore, except in passing.

You guys want to go on, fine. I'm not trying to pull any stops on this discussion -- not that I could if I'd wanted to. I'm simply making my own observation, and, having done so, will be moving on to a different thread.

I'm simply making my own observation, and, having done so, will be moving on to a different thread.

Or just move the thread off to another tangent. This is the "nothing's off-topic" thread!
    I have realized this week that there's a whole lot of water on this planet.

And most of it seems to have ended up in my carport.

I had to improvise a dike to keep it from coming in my kitchen door.