Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Marathon said:

What does 'kicked the tires' mean? I see it in American sport all the time, eg. Team A has kicked the tires on Player B.

It's a car-shopping analogy.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    edited July 2013
    Marathon said:

What does 'kicked the tires' mean? I see it in American sport all the time, eg. Team A has kicked the tires on Player B.

tested/tried out Player B.
    It usually means signed Player B but not overly invested in Player B. Then Player B gets released or traded by Team A after a short time.

• RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Marathon said:

Here in the states it's a tradition to kick the tires on a car that one is about to purchase. It's kinda like a good luck charm.
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    WetRats said:

Marathon said:

It's a car-shopping analogy.
    mwhitt80 said:

Marathon said:

tested/tried out Player B.
    It usually means signed Player B but not overly invested in Player B. Then Player B gets released or traded by Team A after a short time.

Marathon said:

Here in the states it's a tradition to kick the tires on a car that one is about to purchase. It's kinda like a good luck charm.
    Thank you all, it's been bugging me for a while.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I've recently started getting back into watching wrestling, and despite all expectations I think my favorite WWE-related show right now is NXT. With only a one hour running time, it's a tighter show with more focus on the actual wrestling. The announce team could be a little better, though. William Regal is alright on color when he actually speaks up and sounds awake, but I'm not a big fan of the guy doing the play-by-play.

I've been watching Ring of Honor on their website thanks to @SolitaireRose's suggestion Twitter, and that's pretty good, too, but most of what I've seen since I started watching has been (I think) PPV highlights and a whole hour on the Briscoes which I skipped. Looking forward to this week's going live on the site, though, as I want to see MsChif (who I think is awesome because her IRL day job is microbiology) go to town on Veda Scott (who I think is just really damn cute).
    And on a related note, I found the Gail Kim vs Taryn Terrell match from TNA Slammiversary on YouTube after hearing a lot about it, and that may be the best women's match I've ever seen, and certainly the first to get legit "THAT WAS AWESOME!" and "HOLY S---!" chants from a crowd. Usually the when the ladies come out, half the crowd yells about wanting "puppies" and the other half heads for the concessions.
    on an awesome related note Stone Cold Steve Austin has a pretty good podcast. The audio is a little rough, but he's got great guests.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    mwhitt80 said:

Stone Cold Steve Austin has a pretty good podcast

I just wanted to isolate that thought for a moment. To say that we live in heady times. The future.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    NXT is very good, but the Ring of Honor syndicated show is GREAT. It's Old School with slow builds, fast paced matches and they really build toward their big shows.

If you are looking for a great wrestling Podcast, Colt Cabana's "Art of Wrestling" is well worth your time, as Colt interviews wrestlers, talks about his own travels on the indy circuit and learns about the past of the business.
  • MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    mwhitt80 said:

on an awesome related note Stone Cold Steve Austin has a pretty good podcast. The audio is a little rough, but he's got great guests.

I don't listen to his 'what I did this week' episodes, but the wrestling interviews are great.

If you are looking for a great wrestling Podcast, Colt Cabana's "Art of Wrestling" is well worth your time, as Colt interviews wrestlers, talks about his own travels on the indy circuit and learns about the past of the business.

I was wondering about his show. I'm glad to know it's a good podcast for the greatest sport on earth.
    Marathon said:

I don't listen to his 'what I did this week' episodes, but the wrestling interviews are great.

I don't listen to the what I did this week shows either, but I love his wrestling podcasts. The JR(oss) was an excellent introduction for people wanting to learn about the territory days.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    Marathon said:

mwhitt80 said:

Oh, I laughed myself sick when he talked about getting a facial and a manni/pedi..

The Shawn Michaels interview was all right...I guess, but I am VERY tired of Shawn dismissing what a jerk he used to be with his "Oh, I was so messed up on drugs I don't remember" line. The Kevin Nash interview was the best I've heard, however, as Nash talked quite openly about his good AND bad sides, how the business works and some truly great stories. I have always heard that Nash is able to work whenever and however he wants because he's such a personable guy, and listening to the interview, I believe it.

Anyone think the wrasslin' talk shoudl get its own thread?

Marathon said:

mwhitt80 said:

Oh, I laughed myself sick when he talked about getting a facial and a manni/pedi..

The Shawn Michaels interview was all right...I guess, but I am VERY tired of Shawn dismissing what a jerk he used to be with his "Oh, I was so messed up on drugs I don't remember" line. The Kevin Nash interview was the best I've heard, however, as Nash talked quite openly about his good AND bad sides, how the business works and some truly great stories. I have always heard that Nash is able to work whenever and however he wants because he's such a personable guy, and listening to the interview, I believe it.

Anyone think the wrasslin' talk shoudl get its own thread?
    Seconded!
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I was in Indianapolis all day and didn't get to spend anytime down town or visit any game or comic shops. :(
    SR I'll play in the wrasslin thread. we hijacked this thread with a topic that deserves it's on thread. also I had a question for you when that thread starts up.
    mwhitt80 said:

we hijacked this thread with a topic that deserves it's on thread.

Oh the delicious irony!
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    The 5 biggest McDonalds flops.

Now, when is someone going to post the 5 biggest McDowell's flops?

The 5 biggest McDonalds flops.

Now, when is someone going to post the 5 biggest McDowell's flops?

Growing up in Maine, the McLobster always seemed kind of pointless, seeing as there were about a billion other places around to get a legit lobster roll (same reason Red Lobster didn't last long there, either: total redundancy).

Except for the special sauce, I really enjoyed the Arch Deluxe. The potato bun, the spicier ketchup... it was good stuff. I got it a lot while it existed, but I think I only ever paid for exactly one. There were coupons for a free one in the paper and in the mail when it was introduced, so I stockpiled those. And then when you ordered one... it came with another freebie coupon. Was the lack of success due to it not being popular, or due to the fact that they never got in the business of actually selling the damn thing? I've always wondered.
    I, too, liked the Arch Deluxe.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    WetRats said:

I, too, liked the Arch Deluxe.

According to Wikipedia, you can still get it in France and Russia. In France it is called the Royal Deluxe. No, seriously.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    @WetRats
    @David_D

The Legion is one of my all time favorite books/group of characters. I think canceling the book was a mercy kill too but it may also be an execution for the Legion as a whole for a while.

When do you think they will try to bring back the series in some form?

I think it maybe a really long time. With two bad N52 Legion books now cancelled, I do not know if they will be willing to down this road again anytime soon.

Levitz would be the strongest supporter of a another Legion effort even with someone else writing it. He seems to however have a bad taste in his mouth about the whole deal. This may have been his last go around with DC anyway. Johns may give it a push but he has a lot on his plate and may not be even thinking of using his company muscle to back another Legion title.

@WetRats
    @David_D

The Legion is one of my all time favorite books/group of characters. I think canceling the book was a mercy kill too but it may also be an execution for the Legion as a whole for a while.

When do you think they will try to bring back the series in some form?

I think it maybe a really long time. With two bad N52 Legion books now cancelled, I do not know if they will be willing to down this road again anytime soon.

Levitz would be the strongest supporter of a another Legion effort even with someone else writing it. He seems to however have a bad taste in his mouth about the whole deal. This may have been his last go around with DC anyway. Johns may give it a push but he has a lot on his plate and may not be even thinking of using his company muscle to back another Legion title.

At this point, I really do hope the Legion will be left alone until the current regime has been purged.

I certainly don't want Geoff Johns' bloody handprints on the characters again.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

I certainly don't want Geoff Johns' bloody handprints on the characters again.

Duo Damsel: "Comet Queen...you...you KILLED him?"
    Comet Queen: "Sprock it, bitch. If I can't have my chubby honey, NO ONE can!!!"
    This page showed up in another thread.

Here, I just want to gush about how frikkin' brilliant Darwyn Cooke is.

There's so much great stuff going on here, but for now, just look at the expressions on the women in the background.

Genius!

Look at the dents in her bracelets!
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    That is likely my favorite page from that trade. Visual storytelling at its finest, a real mastery of sequential art.

That is likely my favorite page from that trade. Visual storytelling at its finest, a real mastery of sequential art.

One of my favorite pages of all time.

Another is the page of The Dark Knight Returns when Clark Kent shows up and the sun comes out for the first time in the entire series. Again, genius.
    Look at Superman's lower lip.