Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Pacific Rim - Most enjoyable movie of the summer so far!

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    It's gotten a lot of good word of mouth, though, so maybe sales won't drop off a cliff in the second weekend like they did for a certain other summer blockbuster.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

It's gotten a lot of good word of mouth, though, so maybe sales won't drop off a cliff in the second weekend like they did for a certain other summer blockbuster.

From your lips to... well... everyone's ears!
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Best movie of the summer. Diverse cast, powerful human narrative. yet cool fight scenes. My only regret is, a sequel seems impossible.

Because of the box office?

This thing is gonna destroy in Asia.
    It had better -- it's domestic weekend take was pretty tepid. Only $37M sales for a film with a $190M budget. (But, then, most US films are being made for the international market rather than the domestic market anyway.)

Despicable Me 2 took first place for the second weekend in a row; Grown-Ups 2 came in second; both beat out Pacific Rim... and the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.
    Yep.

Marketing was bad.

Screens and showtimes were limited.

When I saw it the theater was maybe 1/4 full.

Shame.

On which? Pacific Rim or the Lone Ranger?

If the latter, I think the fact that it was just a bad movie had a lot to do with its quick fadeaway. I haven't seen a kind word posted anywhere for it, fan or review -- in fact, the reviewers panned it en masse. For myself, all I had to see was the early pix of Johnny Depp with a dead bird on his head to know this was going to be a loser of a film -- and I still haven't gotten the bad taste of the last attempt to revive this franchise out of my mouth.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.

America got one right.

I'm waiting on my cousin to get back from Cherokee, NC. to go see PacRim. The wife isn't interested in going with me.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2013
    WetRats said:

the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.

Has the rest of the world joined me in being tired of Depp's clown act?
    Its discussed a bit on my upcoming Pulp podcast ep. It was Jack Sparrow: Native American in Lone Ranger: A "Buddy Ranger" movie.

M

If the latter, I think the fact that it was just a bad movie had a lot to do with its quick fadeaway. I haven't seen a kind word posted anywhere for it, fan or review -- in fact, the reviewers panned it en masse. For myself, all I had to see was the early pix of Johnny Depp with a dead bird on his head to know this was going to be a loser of a film -- and I still haven't gotten the bad taste of the last attempt to revive this franchise out of my mouth.

PacRim.

This version of The Lone Ranger deserved to bomb. I had the same reaction to the early picture you did.
  • mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 185
    There was minimal loss of life. They have a Kaiju warning systems so everyone could get to shelter or evacuate the city. (That's why you generally didn't see people on the streets when they attack). Ok, maybe not everyone got out of the way, but there wasn't nearly as many people in the middle of the destruction as there was in Man of Steel or Avengers.

@mrfusion: What were your sequences?

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Best movie of the summer. Diverse cast, powerful human narrative. yet cool fight scenes. My only regret is, a sequel seems impossible.

It had better -- it's domestic weekend take was pretty tepid. Only $37M sales for a film with a $190M budget. (But, then, most US films are being made for the international market rather than the domestic market anyway.)

Despicable Me 2 took first place for the second weekend in a row; Grown-Ups 2 came in second; both beat out Pacific Rim... and the Lone Ranger is fading fast into the sunset.
    Yep.

Marketing was bad.

Shame.

The costuming of Tonto didn't bother me. There's a reason he has the crow on his head; there's an origin for his mindset & that's part of it. The fact there was more focus on Depp/Tonto rather then the Lone Ranger/fim caused concerned. Plus, the more scenes released made me realize this would be more "family friendly" (ie humor), then western feel. Its not Green Hornet humorous (rather overkill at the attempt), but closer to John Carter.

Its entertaining enough for a viewing, in the long run, not franchise worthy. For every interesting scene, there's 1.5 scenes that's not.

M
  • mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 185
    I supervised (and did a bunch of shots on) the first Gipsy Danger fight with Knifehead and then I did all the shots of Striker's battle with the two creatures underwater up to the aftermath of Gipsy and the nuke.

Glad to hear you liked it, but I'm sorry to hear people think its just another Transformers movie. :(
    mrfusion said:

I supervised (and did a bunch of shots on) the first Gipsy Danger fight with Knifehead and then I did all the shots of Striker's battle with the two creatures underwater up to the aftermath of Gipsy and the nuke.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Yep.

Marketing was bad.

Shame.

The costuming of Tonto didn't bother me. There's a reason he has the crow on his head; there's an origin for his mindset & that's part of it. The fact there was more focus on Depp/Tonto rather then the Lone Ranger/fim caused concerned. Plus, the more scenes released made me realize this would be more "family friendly" (ie humor), then western feel. Its not Green Hornet humorous (rather overkill at the attempt), but closer to John Carter.

Its entertaining enough for a viewing, in the long run, not franchise worthy. For every interesting scene, there's 1.5 scenes that's not.

M
    I know there was a reason for Tonto's headdress. It didn't matter. By wearing it, Depp essentially upstages the Ranger, who's supposed to be the featured character. Because anyone who sees the film and talks about it afterwards isn't going to be talking about the story or the character of the Ranger or even his long literary history.

They're going to be saying, "Did you see that bird on Depp's head?"

I mean -- I haven't even seen the film, and I'm talking about the bird.

I saw the bird in the trailers and I didn't need to see anything more. I knew right then where it was going to go. It had 'loser' written all over it.
    edited July 2013

I know there was a reason for Tonto's headdress. It didn't matter. By wearing it, Depp essentially upstages the Ranger, who's supposed to be the featured character. Because anyone who sees the film and talks about it afterwards isn't going to be talking about the story or the character of the Ranger or even his long literary history.

Yep.

There was a day, when Depp would use subtlety in his performances, now he just jumps around yelling "Look at me!"

It makes me look back fondly at a story from the filming of The Magnificent Seven. Steve McQueen and Yul Brynner are shooting the hearse driving scene, and McQueen, trying to make the most of his first big movie role, is coming up with all sorts of distracting business to steal attention from his costar. Between takes, Brynner tells him, "All I have to do is take off my hat, and nobody will see you."

LR doesn't really have much of a literary history to speak of. It was born and developed in the radio drama. That and the TV show are the core of the character's history. There were about 20 novels all tolds, which began three years after the radio series began, and comics, of course, but they were very much secondary to the radio and TV shows.

The complaints I've read about the movie are all about the erratic tone shifts and Depp’s acting. You could say the bird headdress is part of the Jack Sparrowness of Depp’s portrayal of Tonto, and that is where my problem with it lies. The trailers didn’t turn me off at all. In fact, quite the opposite. I think a little of that Depp quirkiness would have been fine, as long as the quiet competence was there too, they just carried it too far.

LR doesn't really have much of a literary history to speak of.

Well if you wanna get literal about it!

=))
  • Actually, the plot closes up in a sequel-free way.

Actually, the plot closes up in a sequel-free way.

There's already a story treatment.
    WetRats said:

Actually, the plot closes up in a sequel-free way.

There's already a story treatment.
    If I’ve learned anything from watching kaiju movies, it’s that the kaiju always come back.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Great film. My 16 year son thinks it was the greatest film ever. Saw it at 11pm showing Monday night. Very small audience. The two big screens in my tenplex had Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2 playing. Think Del Toro is a great director but obviously he hasn't captured Hollywood fire yet. I imagine a sequel is possible but he has a lot on his plate and quite frankly Golden Army was uninspired compared to Hellboy so maybe a stand alone is better.
    shroud68 said:

Great film. My 16 year son thinks it was the greatest film ever. Saw it at 11pm showing Monday night. Very small audience. The two big screens in my tenplex had Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2 playing. Think Del Toro is a great director but obviously he hasn't captured Hollywood fire yet. I imagine a sequel is possible but he has a lot on his plate and quite frankly Golden Army was uninspired compared to Hellboy so maybe a stand alone is better.

I'm still hoping he can get At the Mountains of Madness back on track.
  • davefaustdavefaust Posts: 24
    Friendship, heroism, family, love, loss...All that is nice, but I can get that from any number of ABC Family TV shows. I wanted gigantic hyper-detailed robots fighting gigantic hyper-detailed monsters and cause massive amounts of destruction in the process, and that's exactly what I got. This movie was incredible.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    This is the movie of the summer I am most excited about.

Unfortunately (short term) though fortunately (for long-term tastes) it is also the one my wife is most excited about. My brother-in-law is getting us tickets, and more importantly, babysitting, so that we can see it together. But aligning all that timing with jobs amongst the three of us has become a sort of military operation to plan. HOPEFULLY we'll get there this weekend. But it sucks to see that screens around here are already getting limited for it.

It is a sad commentary on the stranglehold that licensed properties have on the culture that if this *HAD* been a Voltron or Godzilla movie, or hell, if it had just been called Voltron or Godzilla, it would probably have had a better opening weekend.

Sadly, it is a toxic environment for the new. (Even the new based on very well worn tropes, like giant robots and giant monsters)
  • i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 781
    Loved it. Live-action Anime done right. Emotion, drama, humor, battle, action, romance. Seeing it again on Saturday.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Enjoyed the hell out of this. I went right back to being a little kid watching the Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoons. And while some of the story elements may have been a bit cheesy or predictable, and Generic Leadingmannington may have been a bit leaden, given Del Toro's pedigree I almost have to wonder if those were intentional since the same criticisms can be said of pretty much every kaiju movie ever made, and therefore those aspects actually made the movie more enjoyable for me, not less.

Like I told my wife: if you can't enjoy a giant robot smacking a monster around with a battleship, you have bigger problems than I can solve. :)>-
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @LibraryBoy I told your wife the same thing!
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited July 2013
    David_D said:

@David_D I told your moms. All your moms.

(This has been a MaximGlory tribute post. You're missed around these parts, Rick!)

:D
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Matt said:

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Yep.

Marketing was bad.

Shame.

M

I saw the bird in the trailers and I didn't need to see anything more. I knew right then where it was going to go. It had 'loser' written all over it.
    Yea! For instance, in Man of Steel, they could have chosen to make his costume 100% fire engine red and explained it in the story. An in story explanation would not make that OK. Also.... some might be concerned with naming a modern interpretation of a Native American character Tonto... since it means "dumb".
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Yep.

Marketing was bad.

Shame.

M

Yea! For instance, in Man of Steel, they could have chosen to make his costume 100% fire engine red and explained it in the story. An in story explanation would not make that OK. Also.... some might be concerned with naming a modern interpretation of a Native American character Tonto... since it means "dumb".
    So, his outfit shouldve been generic & stereotypical? What about the Lone Ranger? Should it have been plain instead of the suit he wore as John Reid?

Tonto means "dumb" in Spanish, Italian, & Portguage. In his native language, "Tonto" means wild one. So then after all these decades, they should've changed the character's name?! You've lost me on your post.

M

David_D said:

@David_D I told your moms. All your moms.

(This has been a MaximGlory tribute post. You're missed around these parts, Rick!)

:D
    I told him that just yesterday.
  • EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    I saw this yesterday. Really, really enjoyed it.

I went in thinking, "Oh, it'll be like King of the Monsters combined with Robotech," which turned out to be wrong.

You know what it actually was? The closest thing to an AWESOME Voltron movie that we will ever get.

Any chance Guillermor del Toro can buy the rights to Voltron and just fold this into the origin story?