Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

TV News: General News and Discussion.

tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
This is a continuation of the old thread, where you can post news and talk about shows that don't have their own threads.

First up, Netflix has previously expressed interest in picking up the next season of Terra Nova after it was recently canceled by Fox and now they may be eying ABC's The River.Even though The River hasn't been canceled yet, it appears to be on the chopping block.

deadline.com/2012/03/netflix-eyes-cancelled-terra-nova/

deadline.com/2012/03/netflix-eyes-abc-drama-series-the-river/

Comments

• jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I had watched Tera Nova for a good number of episodes but it didn't hold my interest enough.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I think Netflix is making a mistake by going after cancelled TV shows. It'll "brand" them as where failed shows end up.

I'd rather they be like IFC or AMC and start slowly with new shows that build an identity over time. I don't know about anyone else, but I am now predisposed to try anything AMC or FX runs simply because they have done a great job at finding new series.
  • I had watched Tera Nova for a good number of episodes but it didn't hold my interest enough.
    I was fine with Terra Nova. I was looking forward to the mystery that started at the end of the season. Sometimes I think that the only way you can get sci-fi and supernatural tv shows to survive is the film them in Canada. Of course, there are the exceptions to that rule.

How is 'Once upon a time', saw tv spots for it and wondering if it is worth the time?

• I had watched Tera ws
    How is 'Once upon a time', saw tv spots for it and wondering if it is worth the time?
    The first 4 eps are kind of slow but after that the dive into the characters and it gets interesting.

• DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I was with Terra Nova until they continued to do the "Problem of the week" every episode, and didn't advance the story.

• KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I think Netflix is making a mistake by going after cancelled TV shows. It'll "brand" them as where failed shows end up.

I'd rather they be like IFC or AMC and start slowly with new shows that build an identity over time. I don't know about anyone else, but I am now predisposed to try anything AMC or FX runs simply because they have done a great job at finding new series.
    I agree until they pick up a canceled show that I enjoy. Then I'm all for it.
    Smash is renewed for 2nd season:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/nbcs-smash-renewed-for-second-season/
    I was going to try Smash, but I never worked up the will.

• Smash is renewed for 2nd season:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/nbcs-smash-renewed-for-second-season/
    I was going to try Smash, but I never worked up the will.

Same. The missus and I watched the Pilot ep a week before the release on Hulu, but haven't found the time to go back. It might turn into a "guilty pleasure" for us on Netflix, once I get the comp. hooked up to the TV (Project #245 on the "Things-I-want-to-do List."
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Am I the only one watching the Aquabats Supershow on the HUB? Saw an episode last weekend and like all good kids shows it works on two levels. One level it is a show about a rock band that happens to fight evil. And on the other level it is a parody/homage to all the Krofft 70s live action shows. It looks like this up coming April 1st the Hub is having a marathon of this show plus the new Transformers Rescue bots cartoon.
    That's a shame.
  • ABC's Summer Schedule:
    Thursday, May 24:

8:00-10:00 p.m. “Duets” (series premiere)

10:00-11:00 p.m. “Rookie Blue”

Sunday, June 3:

8:00-9:00 p.m. “Secret Millionaire”

9:00-11:00 p.m. “Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition”

Thursday, June 28:

9:00-10:00 p.m. “Wipeout”

Tuesday, July 10:

9:00-10:00 p.m. “Trust Us With Your Life” (series premiere, back-to-back episodes)

10:00-11:00 p.m. “Final Witness” (series premiere)

Tuesday, July 17:

9:00-9:30 p.m. “Trust Us With Your Life” (regular time period premiere)

Monday, July 23:

8:00-10:00 p.m. “Bachelor Pad”
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/abc-announces-summer-schedule/
    ABC's Summer Schedule:
    Thursday, May 24:

Sunday, June 3:

Thursday, June 28:

Tuesday, July 10:

9:00-10:00 p.m. “Trust Us With Your Life” (series premiere, back-to-back episodes)

Tuesday, July 17:

Monday, July 23:

Looks like there is nothing on ABC this summer I will be watching. Looks like it is nothing but reality shows,dramas about cops,and gameshows. I understand my taste in tv and the general public's taste in tv are very very different. But really how many tv shows do we need about cops. And how many badly scripted "reality" tv shows do we need.
  • I myself enjoy Rookie Blue but that's because it's the only cop show I watch. I do agree that there are to many.

Well, I do watch Grimm and Fringe which are cop like but they aren't the normal flare of cop shows.

Networks need to realize that people do watch TV during the Summer and that if they would actually put something good on that it would make them money.
  • KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I myself enjoy Rookie Blue but that's because it's the only cop show I watch. I do agree that there are to many.

Well, I do watch Grimm and Fringe which are cop like but they aren't the normal flare of cop shows.

Networks need to realize that people do watch TV during the Summer and that if they would actually put something good on that it would make them money.
    I think that's especially true today with OnDemand, DVR, etc. Once upon a time, it might not have been the case with people traveling, on vacation, outside in the sun, etc.
    I myself enjoy Rookie Blue but that's because it's the only cop show I watch. I do agree that there are to many.

Since you are watching Grimm,have you watched Lost Girl on SYFY yet? I have watched both and prefer Lost Girl. As far as cop shows the only one I have watched and really enjoyed was "The Shield". And that wasn't your normal cop show. I just would love to see a good drama on the broadcast network tv channels that isn't about cops,lawyers or doctors.

They make a LOT more money with a reality show than with a scripted drama. Add to that that audiences are actually down between a third and a half in most cases, and it's in their own best interest to run cheaper programming. They've tried a few series during the summer, and they usually fail (and lose money). The good thing is that cable has picked up the slack and run a lot more original dramas during summer.

Me? I'm happy they don't run as much so that I can catch up on the movies on DVR and my reading on the deck.

• @dubbat138 No, I don't watch the SyFy chan. I haven't watched it since they caned Farscape.

@SolitaireRose It's more like they SAVE a ton of money on reality shows. The shows fail because they don't pimp them like they do the Fall shows and they are of lesser quality.
  • Fox has renewed three more series for next season: freshman comedy New Girl, hourlong musical comedy Glee and family comedy Raising Hope. It will be a second season for New Girl, fourth for Glee and third for Raising Hope.
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/fox-renews-glee-new-girl-and-raising-hope/
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I have fallen in love with My Name is Earl Raising Hope
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    SPRINGFIELD, OREGON!
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    HBO has renewed Game of Thrones for a 3rd season.

The Hollywood Reporter
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I'd like FRINGE to continue. It hasn't reached the "nuking the fridge" state yet.
    ABC's Summer Schedule:
    Thursday, May 24:

Sunday, June 3:

Thursday, June 28:

Tuesday, July 10:

Tuesday, July 17:

Monday, July 23:

And not a thing that I'll be watching. Not surprising.
    So, rumors are flying that "The Office" is being renewed with most of the cast moving on to other projects...sounds like Season 9 of The X-Files to me.
  • USA Network has set summer premiere dates for its returning series Royal Pains, Necessary Roughness, Burn Notice, Suits, White Collar and Covert Affairs. Coming out of the gate first are Season 4 of Royal Pains and Season 2 of Necessary Roughness, which will kick things off on June 6 and will air on Wednesday at 9 PM and 10 PM, respectively. The following week, on June 14, Burn Notice returns for Season 6, leading into the second season of Suits, which will once again be paired on Thursdays. Also returning to their regular night, Tuesday, are White Collar Season 4 and Covert Affairs Season 3, which launch on July 10. Yet to get a premiere date is USA’s new 6-episode drama series Political Animals starring Sigourney Weaver.
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/usa-announces-summer-premiere-dates/
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Wipeout is always funny
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    NBC greenlights it's first series for next season, over three weeks before network upfronts.NBC has given a 13-episode order to 'Go On', a comedy starring Matthew Perry.

Deadline

This actually marks the second series NBC has picked up for the new season.Hannibal, written and produced by Bryan Fuller, skipped the pilot phase entirely and went directly to series with a 13-episode order.