Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• bullydawgbullydawg Posts: 14
    Followed by Flash (2016) and then Justice League (2017).
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    What in holy hell is happening? Superman/Batman before Man of Steel 2? or whatever they would call it?

WHO SAW THIS COMING? No one, right?
  • luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Here's the MTV article that indicates the Flash and JL movies too.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    and Sheldon Cooper will be FLASH :O)
    Planeis said:

What in holy hell is happening? Superman/Batman before Man of Steel 2? or whatever they would call it?

WHO SAW THIS COMING? No one, right?

Makes sense, right. A way to step towards Justice League without appearing to copy the Marvelous Movie Competition.

Jim

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Okay, 3 concerns:

1.) is this MoS 2 with Batman? If so, Supes is getting short changed.

2.) are they looking to have a DKR-type plot? If so, TDKR covered the main theme (at least first 1/2 of series) & that's a Batman story, not Superman. In fact, he's a tool in the book.

3.) is there going to be an aged Batman or a limping Batman? If so, this will suck for any potential JLA & future Batman movies AND could be an angle to try to get Bale back.

Will THIS serve as the lead into JLA movie?

M
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I just really really really... Really want it to be Henry Cavill and Christian Bale. Just pay whatever Bale wants. The movie will make it back and a whole lot more too!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Matt said:

Okay, 3 concerns:

2.) are they looking to have a DKR-type plot? If so, TDKR covered the main theme (at least first 1/2 of series) & that's a Batman story, not Superman. In fact, he's a tool in the book.

3.) is there going to be an aged Batman or a limping Batman? If so, this will suck for any potential JLA & future Batman movies AND could be an angle to try to get Bale back.

M

The article I read said that Snyder specifically said they will not be adapting TDKR. He gave the impression that they will be using that confrontational element of the book though.
  • PeterPeter Posts: 470
    Biggest news of San Diego. The reaction is everywhere. Take that, Marvel.

Matt said:

Okay, 3 concerns:

M

The article I read said that Snyder specifically said they will not be adapting TDKR. He gave the impression that they will be using that confrontational element of the book though.
    Doesn't make sense for WB to shortchange either one of them. They need to keep Man of Steel momentum and potentially introduce a new Batman.

Probably not, considering the very strong points you make in item 3. The DKR reference is likely to setup the premise that these two wont be friends, i.e. the title probably won't be World's Finest.
  • JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    edited July 2013
    I suspected Batman would be in the Superman sequel. It just makes sense if WB wants to jump start a JLA franchise. I have none of Matt's concerns and am only looking forward to 2015 even more: Avengers 2, Star Wars 7, & now Superman vs. Batman.

Now for the real geeky discussion: Who to cast as Bruce Wayne? I'd offer Richard Madden from Game of Thrones. Any other suggestions?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f82CEtjgE_0

• Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Well, I like Sheldon Cooper.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Batman will have a gun and shoot the villain at the end.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Will the Flash movie be Flash/Batman?

Will the Justice League movie be Batman's Justice League?
    JaxUr said:

I suspected Batman would be in the Superman sequel. It just makes sense if WB wants to jump start a JLA franchise. I have none of Matt's concerns and am only looking forward to 2015 even more: Avengers 2, Star Wars 7, & now Superman vs. Batman.

Now for the real geeky discussion: Who to cast as Bruce Wayne? I'd offer Richard Madden from Game of Thrones. Any other suggestions?

You're not at least concerned with an aged Batman?

I'd hope this isn't a MoS sequel. I recall people clamoring for Green Arrow to be in the sequel to The Dark Knight and stating that was a completely wrong idea. Once you introduce another big character in another's sequel, it stops being the initial character's movie.

M
    @Matt: Where do you get the Aged Batman supposition?

The quote from DKR is evoking the intended adversarial relationship, not that it's gonna be that story.

They seem to be playing up the idea of Batman as self-appointed check against a potentially rogue Superman.
    Matt said:

JaxUr said:

Now for the real geeky discussion: Who to cast as Bruce Wayne? I'd offer Richard Madden from Game of Thrones. Any other suggestions?

I'd hope this isn't a MoS sequel. I recall people clamoring for Green Arrow to be in the sequel to The Dark Knight and stating that was a completely wrong idea. Once you introduce another big character in another's sequel, it stops being the initial character's movie.

M
    In today's movie world an "aged Batman" would be about 41. Cavill was 28 when MOS was filming and is 30 today. Some complained Amy Adams was too told for him at 39. It seems this movie is both a sequel and a JLA launch and that's what this aged fan has wanted to see his entire life. This is great news! Have faith Matt! The DKR reference today only means that the heroes will be adversaries for the first half of the film before they team against the villain (who should that be: Luthor? Brainiac? Killer Moth?

http://screenrant.com/batman-casting-actors-justice-league/
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2013
    I will give them credit that they definitely won the SDCC news cycle.
    This is what people will be talking about. And they deserve credit for grabbing that attention.

To be fair, though, Marvel has nothing to worry about. Avengers 2 will make more money than this. And given that they announced a MOS 2 I think the Thursday before opening day of MOS... and now are doing this instead? That can say as much about how MOS ended up performing, if the solution was not 'more Man of Steel!' but instead became 'add Batman'. That WB are now walking back the idea of another Superman movie standing on its own is sort of a bummer thing to say about Superman as a movie property. And this at a time when Marvel is successfully franchising things like Iron Man and Thor. (I mean... three hit Iron Man movies. Who could have predicted THAT 10 or 15 years ago?!?) So, Marvel may have ceded the news hole to WB this SDCC, but you don't need to worry about making a big announcement when you've got money in the bank coming down the pipeline.

Still, though, to end on a positive, I can't imagine any thing else that would happen at San Diego this year that will trump this announcement as far as what people, us and the mainstream, will be talking about. And, let's be honest, as not sold as I am on Zack Snyder, it is not like I won't see this. So I can give them that, too.
    edited July 2013
    WetRats said:

Will the Flash movie be Flash/Batman?

Will the Justice League movie be Batman's Justice League?

I would guess that they may use the Flash movie to introduce Wonder Woman in end credits sequence. Did they say if the Flash was to be Jay, Barry, or Wally? I vote for Barry.

A Flash casting survey from 2011: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/canadianturd/news/?a=48774
    WetRats said:

The quote from DKR is evoking the intended adversarial relationship, not that it's gonna be that story.

They seem to be playing up the idea of Batman as self-appointed check against a potentially rogue Superman.

I was just referencing Jax's comment that he shared none of my concerns. If they used a quote from TDR, it wasn't out of the realm for them to use it as the backbone of the movie, which has a retired, aged Batman.

M
    JaxUr said:

Matt said:

JaxUr said:

M
    In today's movie world an "aged Batman" would be about 41. Cavill was 28 when MOS was filming and is 30 today. Some complained Amy Adams was too told for him at 39. It seems this movie is both a sequel and a JLA launch and that's what this aged fan has wanted to see his entire life. This is great news! Have faith Matt! The DKR reference today only means that the heroes will be adversaries for the first half of the film before they team against the villain (who should that be: Luthor? Brainiac? Killer Moth?

http://screenrant.com/batman-casting-actors-justice-league/
    Have faith? I'm too skeptical about life to have faith.

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

I was just referencing Jax's comment that he shared none of my concerns. If they used a quote from TDR, it wasn't out of the realm for them to use it as the backbone of the movie, which has a retired, aged Batman.

M
    But such a story would require a veteran Superman as well, and years of shared history between the two.

Sounds like they're gonna use Batman to fill the role most of us supposed would fall to Luthor.
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    But such a story would require a veteran Superman as well, and years of shared history between the two.

Sounds like they're gonna use Batman to fill the role most of us supposed would fall to Luthor.
    Yes, but wouldn't that also require a veteran Batman? A Year One Batman wouldn't be able to challenge Superman much. That's why DKR Batman was so successful. I believe that was the first verses done.

The only way it could be somewhat believable is if its Batman a la New52; he's been around for 5 years before he was really known to exist.

M
    Matt said:

Yes, but wouldn't that also require a veteran Batman? A Year One Batman wouldn't be able to challenge Superman much. That's why DKR Batman was so successful. I believe that was the first verses done.

The only way it could be somewhat believable is if its Batman a la New52; he's been around for 5 years before he was really known to exist.

M

Well, there was nothing in MOS that ruled out the prior existence of Batman.
    BTW: My trying to rationalize in defense of this concept, should in no way imply any enthusiasm for it.

It seems like, as @David_D pointed out,* a retreat by Warners/DCE from Man of Steel 2 to something safer.

*And as I attempted to imply with my initial snarky comment. :-B
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Well, there was nothing in MOS that ruled out the prior existence of Batman.
    That's correct, though I looked it as more he's not Batman yet. Bruce is still in training.

M
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    David_D said:

Still, though, to end on a positive, I can't imagine any thing else that would happen at San Diego this year that will trump this announcement as far as what people, us and the mainstream, will be talking about.

Nothing will top this for mainstream news (nice try Marvel with the Age of Ultron title)

For me however, the announcement of the 60's Batman show being released on DVD would top the movie news.
    [-O<
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    If say a certain bald headed nemesis of Superman is in this then I'd like to see Bryan Cranston in the role
  • DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    And let's say they go for an older Batman, since Bale is done, Jon Hamm