Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Big Garth Ennis Sale on comixology. I have a recommendation.

22 issues of The Boys for 17.99. I know nothing about this series but it is supposed to be as wild as preacher. Can anyone recommend that I buy this it seems like a good deal to me.

My recommendation is to get Battlefields. I collect the series in hardcovers but this is a great deal for anyone that does not have them yet. If you like WW2 stories without the romantic nostalgia you should read these books. I got the same feeling from these stories as I did when I watched Band of Brothers or the Pacific, entertaining yet an insightful look at what horrors the world faced in all the theaters. They are selling vol 1 and 2 for 7.99 each for three days.

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Yes to both. I love (and miss) Battlefields, it is fantastic, and Boys has been a hell of a good book.

Money well-spent.
  • Options
    Thank you David. I am going to get the boys if you like it.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    Thanks guys for the recommend....to hell with saving....only live once....off shopping........

(meant to read The Boys one of these days anyways - and why not give Battlefields a try)
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Please please please pick up Dan Dare...it's fantastic.

I'm going to try Jennifer Blood and I might get up to date with The Boys, although I'm always nervous switching to digital part-way through a series.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited April 2012
    has anyone read Dicks yet? figured i'd get the first trade when it comes out but i think they're only on issue 3 or 4 so far

and the boys is great

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Been meaning to try Jennifer Blood before digging into trades on it. Sounds like this is my chance.
  • Options
    There is one in there called Just a Pilgrim and it's $5 anyone familiar with it?
  • Options
    There is one in there called Just a Pilgrim and it's $5 anyone familiar with it?
    Yes- a post-apocalyptic Western. My memory of it is that it is not amongst, say, his top 5 works, but was very distinct and solid. I remember really digging it.
  • Options
    Re: Jennifer Blood

Personally, I would rate this in the bottom half of his works, and sub-par compared to the rest of his output of the last five years. To me, it felt like warmed-over Punisher MAX, and a slightly gimmicky, cable-TV-bait sort of premise. He's written better female characters than this, and I think his harder, better work of late has been going into things like Boys, Crossed, and Battlefields. He himself, in the afterword to the first issue admitted that he did Jennifer Blood to not be deep, and sort of blow off some steam. And that's fine. Although it strikes me that he said roughly the same thing (at least about not going deep) when he and Dillon started on the Marvel Knights Punisher, and I thought that was a lot more fun than 'Blood ended up being. And, personally, I like it better when he does go deeper with things, which he often ends up doing (e.g. the later, MAX Punisher vs. the Marvel Knights run; the second year and beyond of The Boys compared to the first year)
  • Options
    So what your saying, @David_D, is that you hate woman. Right? ;)
  • Options
    So what your saying, @David_D, is that you hate woman. Right? ;)
    Heh. EXACTLY.

Actually, to be honest, that was also a bummer about Jennifer Blood, as it is a somewhat rare thing as a female-led book. And I think Ennis has written much more interesting stories driven by a female lead.

Oh well. Again, it isn't bad, it just doesn't match up to most of the rest of the work he's done, especially recent work.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Ennis never quite does it for me. I've tried so many times too. Battlefields would work if I knew or cared about the characters... but I don't. It misses that establishing bit. I had heard so much about The Boys and maybe I went in expecting too much but it fell flat and I lost interest quickly. Something about his work just doesn't click with me, it does for a lot of other people though.
  • Options
    TobyToby Posts: 91
    ...I forgot this was a digital comic offer. Oh well.
    Rather pick up some paper for me.

"get off my grass"

Toby
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    edited April 2012
    ...I forgot this was a digital comic offer. Oh well.
    Rather pick up some paper for me.

"get off my grass"

Toby
    yeah I tried to buy some books on Comixology but they never asked me where to ship the books to... weird. i think its some sort of scam....
    :))
  • Options
    The put them into your google glasses so you can while your crossing the street.
  • Options
    7h0m457h0m45 Posts: 49
    picked up The Boys 1-22, have head awesome things about it but never picked it up so heres my chance. I read #1 and 2 and enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    I wonder if Mr Ennis ever gives himself bad dreams?
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Finished the Dan Dare omnibus last night. Absolutely loved it, fitting epitaph to the 1950s stuff (which I was also reading yesterday).