Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Random Bits Not Worthy of their Own Thread...

Comments

• CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Freedom of speech even when stupid & hurtful is still a freedom whether we like it or not.

That's right, but remember that Jefferson called it a "marketplace of ideas". So, when people say stupid, incorrect or hurtful, it is our duty to speak out about it, not to stay silent, and by doing so, giving silent assent. Freedom of speech means I can say what I want, not that I can say what I want without criticism.

Agree completely. I will admit that I read this when I first woke up and when I saw Jefferson mentioned, I first thought of George Jefferson. (:|
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

Last night I watched the first 5 episodes of the 90's Superman Animated Series.

I had never seen it before. Pretty enjoyable stuff.

The Mxyzptlk episode is my absolute favorite—on par with anything in the Batman Animated Series. The Fourth World episodes are great as well.
    Gilbert Gottfried was made for the role.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    I've been reading the Lone Wolf & Cub Omnibus volume 1; 700 pages is way to many for a viz big sized paperback. Look at it, It's ridiculous but very entertaining ($10.99 at instocktrades).

I was searching the interwebs for a Jon Concak Atlanta Hawks jersey, and I got a 0 return. No one on the internet has one, how does that happen? I can get a Rasheed Wallace Hawks Jersey, and he was only one the Hawks for 3 days (never played a game) Google Concak at one point he was making as much money as M. Jordan, Magic, and Larry Bird.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

In a couple of days it's 10 years of me surviving a malign brain tumor (Oligoastrocytoma III)

yeah me! \m/

I marked this “Awesome,” but I was sorely tempted to mark it “Off Topic,” because unlike the title of this thread, I think this post is worthy of its own thread.

I marked this “Awesome,” but I was sorely tempted to mark it “Off Topic,” because unlike the title of this thread, I think this post is worthy of its own thread.

agreed.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

In a couple of days it's 10 years of me surviving a malign brain tumor (Oligoastrocytoma III)

yeah me! \m/

Hear, hear!
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Since I am ineligible to comment on the Trinity War thread, I want to share my agreement with @Chuck_Melville about "The Question".

I also think I may start referring to all the New 52 characters in quotation marks.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    WetRats said:

Since I am ineligible to comment on the Trinity War thread, I want to share my agreement with @Chuck_Melville about "The Question".

I also think I may start referring to all the New 52 characters in quotation marks.

Well, that is the question, isn't it?

WetRats said:

I also think I may start referring to all the New 52 characters in quotation marks

Well, that is the question, isn't it?
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to take arms against a sea of reboots and by opposing, end them?
    edited July 2013
    I've only seen a little bit of the New 52 Question so far. So far, I am not a fan. But, we'll see.
    A question for those who have been reading the recent "Shazam"* reboot:

Is it even slightly as creative as what Moore & Gaiman did with the concept thirty years ago?

*Captain Marvel, goddammit!
  • This has been bugging my since the My Little Pony #1 interview with Katie. Every day it chips at the soul a little more until eventually I become a soulless being due simply (OK, I may have traded my soul several times a long time ago for some scenes of instant gratification, but go with me here) to My Little Pony. So here it is, somebody please answer for my sanity:

What and where is "The Graduate" reference in My Little Pony #1? Murd mentioned it, and it is one of my top five movies I have ever seen, so what is the reference????
    WetRats said:

Is it even slightly as creative as what Moore & Gaiman did with the concept thirty years ago?

No
    [-(
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Finally got around to watching the new Oz film with the kids. It had some really fantastic moments, but overall I'm glad this was a Redbox rental (with a free code no less).
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    WetRats said:

Oh HELL no.
    It's more DC's version of Prime then a reboot of Captain Marvel.
    The forums sure do seem to be getting more hits from spambots lately.
    argggg. The Braves have lost 2 of 3 to the Mets and Tim Hudson broke his ankle in a gruesome manner. And the Hawks are probably not going to resign one of my favorite players Mr. Ivan Johnson. Ohh well that's sports right.

On a related note:
    Am I the only one that clicks on an unfamiliar name plugging a project to see what else they have posted?
    edited July 2013

We could take that as a compliment. They like us, they really like us! ;)

• WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    mwhitt80 said:

argggg. The Braves have lost 2 of 3 to the Mets and Tim Hudson broke his ankle in a gruesome manner.

That was horrible it's right up there with the Joe Theismann injury
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    What's gratuitous is the obscene amount of time spent exercising to get into the kind of shape Eve was in for that movie.
    If I was in that kind of shape I would wear a speedo ... everywhere.
    Watching the Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 1940's. Impressed that the animation is generally better than most of the super hero cartoons produced 30 to 40 years later.

The stories are interchangeable with no character development but everything is enjoyable and a fun watch.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

Watching the Fleischer Superman cartoons from the 1940's. Impressed that the animation is generally better than most of the super hero cartoons produced 30 to 40 years later.

The stories are interchangeable with no character development but everything is enjoyable and a fun watch.

Those shorts were done for $50,000 each—about $142,000 in today’s money—which was twice their normal budget. They were definitely a high-water mark for the industry.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

I'm all right with it. I like the idea of a not-totally-squeaky-clean Billy, and enjoyed how they ended out the story. I'll take this version of Cap over no Cap at all. Bought the action figure at Comi-Con. :)

Still think Mr. Ordway set the standard by which I measure everything, though.
    WetRats said:

Not even close. The only positive thing I can say is that the Gary Frank art is nice.

But I can't stand Billy Bratson, I don't like the fact that Cap seems to be more childlike in age, and I really hate that white hoodie his costume now seems to sport. The strip is trying too hard to be 'modern' instead of fanciful and just comes off as cynical.

In contrast to @Torchsong's opinion, I'd prefer to have no Cap over this version of Cap. I can only console myself with the fact that it really could be worse.