Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What comics did you read and like this week?

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm a month late to this one, but Lazurus #1 by Rucka and Lark. I thought it was a solid start. I do wish the issue was a little longer, I think I have been spoiled by some Image #1s that are oversized, so this one felt fast. But I like the setting and premise, and look forward to more. And it is great to see Rucka and Lark together on their own thing.

I know it is becoming an almost hack thing to say, but damn does Image have a lot of strong series running right now.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Read Ultimate spiderman #25 yesterday. I think I'm in the minority of "ultimate" fans around here but this Spider-man no more arc is really good. Lot of heart in this one for me.
  • NickNick Posts: 284
    I'm actually RE-reading something I liked and am liking it even more the second time around: Wolverine Enemy of the State. I know Millar has a reputation now of being over the top and self promoter up the wazoo, but reading this book again reminds me why he is so good. Wolverine is so overused now I pretty much ignore any book he's in (so about 95% of every Marvel book...joking...) but this story is so different. The way you are kind of thrown into the plot of Wolverine being brainwashed is very cool. Halfway through issue 2 of the arc and he's already nuts and fighting Elektra. I'm not the hugest JRJR fan either, but this book I really like his style. Not over-rendered, clean lines, cuts to the action. Can't really explain it muc better than this...just fun fun comics!
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Nick said:

I'm actually RE-reading something I liked and am liking it even more the second time around: Wolverine Enemy of the State. I know Millar has a reputation now of being over the top and self promoter up the wazoo, but reading this book again reminds me why he is so good. Wolverine is so overused now I pretty much ignore any book he's in (so about 95% of every Marvel book...joking...) but this story is so different. The way you are kind of thrown into the plot of Wolverine being brainwashed is very cool. Halfway through issue 2 of the arc and he's already nuts and fighting Elektra. I'm not the hugest JRJR fan either, but this book I really like his style. Not over-rendered, clean lines, cuts to the action. Can't really explain it muc better than this...just fun fun comics!

I really enjoyed that arc as well. However, one of the best stand-alone Wolverine issues I think I've ever read is issue #32, which comes just after Millar and JRJR's arc.
  • David_D said:

I'm a month late to this one, but Lazurus #1 by Rucka and Lark. I thought it was a solid start. I do wish the issue was a little longer, I think I have been spoiled by some Image #1s that are oversized, so this one felt fast. But I like the setting and premise, and look forward to more. And it is great to see Rucka and Lark together on their own thing.

I know it is becoming an almost hack thing to say, but damn does Image have a lot of strong series running right now.

I loved the first two issues of Lazarus but I wish this story was told on television. We would have more time to spend with the interesting cast, and get more of a feel for this strange world.
  • SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I finally read Gail Simone's Red Sonja, first issue, and REALLY liked it. I have been jonesing for some good fantasy comics, and this one did a good job of setting up the character (without the offensive rape origin) gave a decent fantasy storyline start and set up a good story. Everything I want in a first chapter. And the covers...wow...I really liked all of the covers they had for the book.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Batman Superman #2. Stunning art. Great story. Need this in a Hardback format.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2013
    Just finished Irredeemable by Mark Waid. Got to the last page and, well,

I love comic books!
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Animal Man Annual #2. Jeff Lemire continues to make this one of my favourite DC books right now.

I finally read Gail Simone's Red Sonja, first issue, and REALLY liked it. I have been jonesing for some good fantasy comics, and this one did a good job of setting up the character (without the offensive rape origin) gave a decent fantasy storyline start and set up a good story. Everything I want in a first chapter. And the covers...wow...I really liked all of the covers they had for the book.

That one is in the pile and I'm looking forward to it.

Speaking of Gail Simone though I read Batgirl 22? Whichever was last months and it's my favorite DC book and besides maybe Avengers Arena my favorite book as a whole.

Also Avengers Arena was really good from last month whatever # that was

• luke52 said:

Animal Man Annual #2. Jeff Lemire continues to make this one of my favourite DC books right now.

I thought the series is starting to go off of the rails, and that this was a real return to form for the series as a whole.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

I've never been a big Red Sonja fan, or much of a fantasy fan in general really, but I really enjoyed this and plan on continuing to give it a shot for at least a few more issues. And the Stephanie Buscema "subscription" covers sure don't hurt as far as incentives go, either.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608
    Pantalones Tx: Don't Chicken Out by Yehudi Mercado
    This is a great all ages story published by Archaia. It is so much fun, if you have young 'uns check this out. Between this and Buffalo Speedway (not for kids) I'll pretty much pick up anything Yehudi puts out.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Fearless Defenders #7 took the major happening from #6 and turned it on its ear in a way that I sort of suspected might happen based on some comments Cullen Bunn made not long after the book launched, but it's good news for the cast (and those of us who like the cast), so I'm happy to be right and I'm looking forward to seeing how he handles this.

Obviously I'm trying to be as vague as possible so I don't spoil anything. :D
  • Is fearless Defenders worth reading?
  • mwhitt80 said:

Pantalones Tx: Don't Chicken Out by Yehudi Mercado
    This is a great all ages story published by Archaia. It is so much fun, if you have young 'uns check this out. Between this and Buffalo Speedway (not for kids) I'll pretty much pick up anything Yehudi puts out.

Picked this up the day it came out. Not exactly my personal cup of tea, but I do see mwhitts point. Definitely a good entry for kids. Lots of little background things too if you look for them.

Is fearless Defenders worth reading?

I've enjoyed it so far, I think it helps if you're a fan of the "Thor" stuff since it deals with Valkyrie for the most part. Being a fan of Misty Knight and heroes for hire would also make this a good read.

Plus it's probably going to get canceled so you can have the complete run, hopefully Bunn finds a good end when the time comes.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've been digging Fearless Defenders. A fun read.

Currently into the 2nd trade of Revival. Tim Seeley is now one of my all time favorite writers. He was always a favorite, but he's up there with Wolfman, Moore, and Rucka now. Also, that Norton chap draws a mean line. If you're not reading Revival, seek help.

Also enjoying the new artist on Supergirl. I loved Asrar's more angular work, but the Neves is doing a great job on my favorite Maid of Might.
  • kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    The first issue of Trillium (Jeff Lemire) was great!
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,608

Picked this up the day it came out. Not exactly my personal cup of tea, but I do see mwhitts point. Definitely a good entry for kids. Lots of little background things too if you look for them.

It reads like a good saturday morning cartoon, which is perfect for kids.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    kfreeman said:

The first issue of Trillium (Jeff Lemire) was great!

I came here to post the very same. :D

• The new issue of Detective was pretty great for Detective.
  • I enjoyed "The Bunker" by Fialkov and Infurnari. I really want to check out Trillium too.
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2013
    Okay I read Guardians of the Galaxy #1. It was pretty awesome space action adventure wham bam comic 5 stars all the way. Question: Since you guys are ahead on reading this how good has it gotten since the 1st issue? Is it out in HC yet? Also dang you Marvel & Bendis for making me read another great comic. Taking a break for lunch then back to more comic reading.

Matthew
  • mguy1977 said:

Okay I read Guardians of the Galaxy #1. It was pretty awesome space action adventure wham bam comic 5 stars all the way. Question: Since you guys are ahead on reading this how good has it gotten since the 1st issue? Is it out in HC yet? Also dang you Marvel & Bendis for making me read another great comic. Taking a break for lunch then back to more comic reading.

Matthew

The first issue is very indicative of the quality going forward. That is a solid title.
    Thanks @AlexanderBenjamin for the heads up on the title.

Matthew
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Daredevil: End of Days (1-8) I collected this when it came out, but had been saving it to do as vacation reading. I thought it was excellent. Much as I have been entertained by a lot of Bendis' work on various Avengers titles, I still enjoy him most in his crime/thriller mode, and his run on Daredevil (along with Morrison on New X-Men) are the things that got me buying comics from Marvel again after being off them for a few years. And it was nice to see him collaborating with David Mack again (who co-writes).

And let's not bury the lead- any sequential art from Bill Sienkiewicz, even him just doing finishes over Janson (who is also excellent) is a treat.

The mini doesn't completely recapture what I loved about the Bendis/Maleev/etc. era of Daredevil, but it comes close. And I enjoyed it as a vivd, self-contained story. And it may be because I can be a little morbid, but I really enjoy "The End" books. Sure, they are all aiming to be Dark Knight Returns, but the thing we tend to never get in never ending superhero serials is an ending, so I like to see one imagined. Especially by those who have a history working on the character.

It reminds me that I should re-read probably my favorite The End style book, MAX Punisher: The End by Ennis and Corben. That was a hell of a thing. A sort of Punisher living long enough to be in a Judge Dredd kind of landscape. That one is well worth tracking down.
    Well I read an spectacular book, called Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Island HC that blew me away. I had fun seeing the Avengers & other heroes like Firestar, X-Men fill in for Peter when the shit hits the NYC fan and no single hero can do it alone. You have a villain called "The Queen" & she provides a real threat to NYC: millions of spidey wanna bes w/ superpowers. Add to the mix w/ MJ & Carlie w/ powers & you got a recipe as Travis Tritt would sing T-R-O-U-B-L-E in the worst way. Only w/ minor complaints w/ the art on non Amazing Spider-Man issues added in this volume this was a strong miniseries arc that delivered the goods w/ the conclusion & the costs involved you tell your secret to another soul & the Dr. Strange voodoo hoodoo magic is weaken & Carlie is Spidey ex #2. I give this collection of Spider-Man a 4.5 stars out 5 stars rating.

The big question is will I read Superior Spider-Man. The day I root in support for the Auburn Tigers football team aka not in my lifetime. I can wait out Marvel's marketing plan or Slott's tenure as supreme Spider writer. Be it in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2 (the film) or 5 years from now or 10 years from now or when Disney is bought out by and even bigger company to get all that Marvel loot. I'll wait for Peter Parker's return as the hero & not the villain aka SpideyOck or SpOck of the story when it is renumbered or relaunched as Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 3 #1.

Spidey Fan,
    Matthew
  • Nick said:

This is the only Wolverine-centric story I every got in trade. Millar hit the right balance of fun, interesting and high concept story telling that he always seems to strive for but is so very hit and miss with.