Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1397 Talkback: Spotlight on The X-Men in the Copper Age Part One

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great episode, but one small correction as to episode 177--it isn't Rogue that Mystique couldn't kill, it's Nightcrawler. It's the first hint that Nightcrawler and Mystique may have a connection. If I remember correctly, Arcade reveals to Mystique that if she hadn't "killed" the Rogue robot, that robot would have killed her.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    Mr_Cosmic said:

mbatz said:

@bralinator Marvel Cosmic spotlight??!!!!! I am SO down for that!!! Gurardians, Infinity, Annihilation etc!.....Some of my fave all time stuff!!!...

That would be great but we're talking about a lot of material. The Geeks would have to set some parameters by focusing on a single series, creator, etc.

I'm still hoping for a spotlight series on the Fantastic Four. You like Marvel cosmic? It started here. Not just that but this book was the backbone for the entire Marvel U for many years. So much of what we take for granted about the Marvel U came from this series. Many great artists and writers worked on the book over the years too. It certainly would be a worthy choice.
    I just recently picked up the massive John Byrne Fantastic Four Omnibus volume 1:) I haven't started it yet (frankly, it's very intimidating in size :) ) but I've heard SO many good things about this run that I really am looking forward to it. I've read Classic FF in spatterings...For some reason The Overmind arc (around issues 113 to 116 I believe) written by Goodwin is burned into my brain as one of my favorite stories:).
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I've been working my way through the Byrne Omnibus. What an magnificent run (plus I scored it for about a 3/4 off the cover price :) -it is so awesome. I only wish it had more behind the scenes info here and there, but otherwise it is A++
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    mbatz said:

@bralinator Marvel Cosmic spotlight??!!!!! I am SO down for that!!! Gurardians, Infinity, Annihilation etc!.....Some of my fave all time stuff!!!

It would be a daunting task, but just covering the history of the Marvel Cosmic beginning with Galactus and Silver Surfer all the way up to the new incarnation of the Guardians of the Galaxy would be quite well-received. Maybe they could plan one for a tie-in with the movie? Gives them plenty of time to plan and with participants like @Adam_Murdough and Chris Eberle, it could happen.

Mr_Cosmic said:

...we're talking about a lot of material. The Geeks would have to set some parameters by focusing on a single series, creator, etc.

Agreed.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

...You like Marvel cosmic? It started here. Not just that but this book was the backbone for the entire Marvel U for many years. So much of what we take for granted about the Marvel U came from this series. Many great artists and writers worked on the book over the years too. It certainly would be a worthy choice.

The Fantastic Four spotlight would have to be a prerequisite to Marvel Cosmic and after a quick search I see that they've already done one! Waaaay back in 2006. Spotlight on Fantastic Four CGS: Episode 107 (11/16/06)
    However, I just realized that @JamieD still hasn't gotten around to his proposed FF Essentials yet either!?

mbatz said:

Also, I know it will never happen but...love me some horror...Tomb Of Dracula..Werewolf By Night....Blade...Ghost Rider...Man Thing...etc.( i can only speak for Marvel) :)

What a great idea! Love Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula! Maybe @Pants could get this idea ready for the month of October, and use the ending of Morbius's latest title as an epilogue. FWIW, the podcast episode I linked above has a special guest host Mike Oliveri that wrote "Werewolves: Call of the Wild" - so SOME horror in there too...

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Caliban said:

I love any Marvel spotlight episode with Adam and Chris, "The Eberle Brothers"

Add in Kevin and you can call them "The Loquacious League"
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Lockheed's still around. He showed up in that A+X story with Kitty Pryde and Spider-Woman a few months back. He's also a sometime-agent of SWORD (and was used to great effect there in the far-too-short-lived SWORD series by Kieron Gillen), so if you don't see him around as much, just assume he's working with them.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    edited July 2013

mbatz said:

Also, I know it will never happen but...love me some horror...Tomb Of Dracula..Werewolf By Night....Blade...Ghost Rider...Man Thing...etc.( i can only speak for Marvel) :)

What a great idea! Love Werewolf by Night and Tomb of Dracula! Maybe @Pants could get this idea ready for the month of October, and use the ending of Morbius's latest title as an epilogue. FWIW, the podcast episode I linked above has a special guest host Mike Oliveri that wrote "Werewolves: Call of the Wild" - so SOME horror in there too...

@bralinator October!!!! THAT would be fantastic!!!! (as Pants would say:)) Also man that Legion of Monsters cover!!! I would love to see a crossover/teamup like that again. I haven't seen anything like that since THe Midnight Sons...which was much maligned if I recall, but I very much enjoyed it. Of course I'm biased as ghost rider is my all time fave anti hero. I still hyperventilate everytime I think of what could have been with the GR movies. (Although i didn't hate the 1st one)
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I enjoyed listening as you guys went down (up?) the list from 144 to whenever. Bought back a lot of memories of comics I had sold or given away. I wish I had them back! :)) Yeah, the X-Men were really put through the ringer in the early Copper age. And to end it basically when Magneto begins to teach at the school! Wow...a lot of them couldn't handle that! I agree that with Claremont at least you had some continuity going on and nobody changing stuff just for the sake of it and there was really great art being done from Cockrum again, to Paul Smith, to Romita. Loved it!
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited July 2013
    Drinking game for this episode (and part 2). Every time a character is mentioned as being mind controlled/brainwashed/enslaved etc, take a shot.

Claremont used that plot device so much that there's a blog devoted solely to his obsession with it - Chris Claremont Mind Control Central.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Brack said:

Claremont used that plot device so much that there's a blog devoted solely to his obsession with it - Chris Claremont Mind Control Central.

LOL thank you very much!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    @Pants I love the spotlight episodes. I never really read the x men growing up. I was into the Avengers and Spiderman in the 80s and now I am mostly a DC guy. I am learning a lot here.

Do you think you could get finish out the Spotlights on Wonder Woman? The show did episodes on the Golden & Silver Age then stopped. I would love to here Chris views on the character and catch up the history
  • Options
    crash41crash41 Posts: 27
    You glossed over one of my favorite issues in this grouping, X-Men #168. You mentioned how Kitty was demoted to the New Mutants and was fighting with Professor X to get back on the X-Men, but you skipped the reuniting of Kitty and Lockheed and how Kitty almost single-handedly, with a late entrance by Lockheed and even later by Colossus, fought off an infestation of Sidrian Hunters which led to Kitty being reinstated to the X-Men, albeit on a trial basis.
    I love this issue because it shows Kitty's resourcefulness and fighting skill, plus you have Lockheed breaking off and devouring what's left of the Sidrian nest...
    The Paul Smith artwork just makes this issue for me. It's, absolutely one of my favorite Kitty Pride stories of all time.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I remember so vividly the change from Cockrum to Smith. The splash page was of the X-Men in an explosive decompression and I recall thinking "wow, that's different". I love Dave Cockrum's art but Smith did that Brood stuff better.